Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Maybe members need to qual for the 100 full stop, just like the 200 and 300. It’s not unreasonable since volunteer hours go into the repairs and upkeep and as we see, it’s a contentious portion of the club.

Maybe members need to qual for the 100 full stop, just like the 200 and 300. It’s not unreasonable since volunteer hours go into the repairs and upkeep and as we see, it’s a contentious portion of the club.
Has anyone ever brought up the idea of setting up the steel like it is at the Sub Gun range?

Was able to shoot this morning for the first time in several weeks. Disappointed to see only empty chains hanging at the 100. Oh well, I guess it's a good thing I bring my own target. (not steel)
Gerry, that steel target on the right side was missing a bolt on Saturday morning, the left side was ok when i left at noon. I was shooting paper with the 22 and pinged the left side a couple of times. the plate only moved a quarter inch when I hit it. but i could see the round splash in the scope. it had to be smashed late Saturday or Sunday. from what i could see while putting up the paper the bolts were taking more hits than the plate.

Gerry, that steel target on the right side was missing a bolt on Saturday morning, the left side was ok when i left at noon. I was shooting paper with the 22 and pinged the left side a couple of times. the plate only moved a quarter inch when I hit it. but i could see the round splash in the scope. it had to be smashed late Saturday or Sunday. from what i could see while putting up the paper the bolts were taking more hits than the plate.
Does the club keep a box or two of bolts, nuts and washers and a couple of wrenches on hand and available for the members to change them out as they are damaged? It's probably a good solution if it's an ongoing issue. Takes a couple of minutes.

Anything placed down range is going to get torn up eventually.

Does the club keep a box or two of bolts, nuts and washers and a couple of wrenches on hand and available for the members to change them out as they are damaged? It's probably a good solution if it's an ongoing issue. Takes a couple of minutes.

Anything placed down range is going to get torn up eventually.
I'm sure Gerry is wrong, we could put an ammo can with hardware and basic tools on top of the crossbar, it should be safe right?

and people will continue to repair what others have destroyed. I don't believe qualification will solve the problem because contrary to what some believe, I don't think the damage is accidental.

Which brings us back to the video camera conversation. If people are deliberately destroying club equipment it's time to start purging the idiots.

Bringing your own steel might solve most of the problem but would be a pain in the ass. It's heavy to carry down and back. You'd have to pay close attention to what other people might shoot at it. I prefer shooting at steel but in this case a plastic or rubber target would probably be better.

Aaah the brain trust that are the 100yd shooters lol I wish I was there to witness the stupidity. Sooo as people keep shooting the cross members from the target stands to the steel you’ll find it’s difficult to hang anything when everything is damaged. lol the 100yd has the absolute worst shooters.
Steel is 14 inches below the cross member but they’re still shooting through it, either you suck or it’s deliberate lol no other choice in the matter. Now I can’t bolt any new plates up until we rebuild it .. again.🤣🤣🤣
IMG_5302.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5301.jpeg
    IMG_5301.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 41
Aaah the brain trust that are the 100yd shooters lol I wish I was there to witness the stupidity. Sooo as people keep shooting the cross members from the target stands to the steel you’ll find it’s difficult to hang anything when everything is damaged. lol the 100yd has the absolute worst shooters.
Steel is 14 inches below the cross member but they’re still shooting through it, either you suck or it’s deliberate lol no other choice in the matter. Now I can’t bolt any new plates up until we rebuild it .. again.🤣🤣🤣
View attachment 887030

An LE target on the frame member?

View attachment 887030
Wouldn’t the type of target and placement of target cause more damage to the cross member?…potentially. Looking at it now, shooting the “head” on that target would chew up the cross member…

View attachment 887030
After i saw myself and barked at father and son duo placing targets to a ‘don’t shoot here’ protection plywood we had at a time - I lost all my illusions.

I still stand by my idea to make crossbar from a solid railroad rail. That is how it’s done at military ranges. It is more resource intensive but should be doable.

With all the people here we should be able to source one, I would think.

View attachment 887030
like, can we simply use funds we have and purchase something like this, as it is not even that expensive?
we will only need someone with a torch to burn holes for bolts in its central section that is protected by front solid metal chunk.

1717949726268.png

like, can we simply use funds we have and purchase something like this, as it is not even that expensive?
we will only need someone with a torch to burn holes for bolts in its central section that is protected by front solid metal chunk.

View attachment 887282
What would you do to prevent ricochets? Bolt a 4x4 in front of it?

Back
Top Bottom