• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone in a red town tried this:

I've though about it for my town. When I mentioned the idea to Jon Green at GOAL he suggested talking to Nancy Snow, but haven't followed up on that, yet.

any COP that is civil service is going to tell the BOS/City Council to pound sand as they are a "strong chief" and can pretty much tell them to pound sand.

Next time your city or town is looking to hire a COP make sure the town fathers ask his position on discretionary licensing and lobby to only hire people who support the right of the people to own and bear firearms

any COP that is civil service is going to tell the BOS/City Council to pound sand as they are a "strong chief" and can pretty much tell them to pound sand.
This varies by town/city. For example our COP is hired by the Town Manager and it is not a CS position. The TM is hired by the BOS, but generally keeps his fingers out of the police department.
Next time your city or town is looking to hire a COP make sure the town fathers ask his position on discretionary licensing and lobby to only hire people who support the right of the people to own and bear firearms
Good advice.
How do I find out if the cop is at the whims of the local city council? Or not? (And no this isn't boston)
Look at the town charter and bylaws. Talk to a selectperson or the TM.

Police Chiefs are hired and fired at the authority of city/town councils. Period end of story. A city manager has to do what the council tells him or he gets fired. If the council is willing to let the hired hands tell them how to make policy they deserve to be thrown out.

Police Chiefs are hired and fired at the authority of city/town councils. Period end of story. A city manager has to do what the council tells him or he gets fired. If the council is willing to let the hired hands tell them how to make policy they deserve to be thrown out.

And who do you think is causing the COPs to do what they do. Maybe someone here, I won't name him because he may not want to speak up, could discuss what he knows about one suburban boston town where the town council gets a report of who gets a permit and flips out when they see ALP.

I'm considering talking to my local councilmen about promoting a motion to instruct the local PD to issue an ALP license to all applicants who are not unsuitable. Do you think this would be a good/bad idea? Do you think it would work?

Better yet, you don't happen to have any pics of your COP in a compromising situation with a domestic animal, do you? That should do the trick, fo sho...

[rofl]

And who do you think is causing the COPs to do what they do. Maybe someone here, I won't name him because he may not want to speak up, could discuss what he knows about one suburban boston town where the town council gets a report of who gets a permit and flips out when they see ALP.

can you at least list the town?

can you at least list the town?

Watertown. I don't have any direct knowledge of the shenanigans but someone else here does a little. Your idea will only work if your reps are amenable. Chances are though, they are the real problem. There is a reason the Brady Bunch are pushing Jim Crow like localized regs. They are trying to create little panaceas of peace where we are all happy and love each other so they can prove their way of thinking is the correct way.

And it doesn't mean there still won't be a pissing contest between the local politicians and the local chief.

Not only that, but the chief may not be the only anti-gun person in the red town.

And it doesn't mean there still won't be a pissing contest between the local politicians and the local chief.

Not only that, but the chief may not be the only anti-gun person in the red town.

I think that this is a key point for folks to understand! In many cases, the chiefs are just doing the bidding of their bosses . . . I've seen this in action (not about firearms, but you get the idea)!

I think that this is a key point for folks to understand! In many cases, the chiefs are just doing the bidding of their bosses . . . I've seen this in action (not about firearms, but you get the idea)!

That confirms what I have heard. The COP/CLEO is a pawn.

Ok, bottom line on this is what's so very wrong in Mass.

I'm not trying to be a d*ck so please excuse me if I piss anyone off, but the truth is that these fools are in office because people seriously don't think anyone can do anything or that there is any recourse.

It's sad, but most of the folks I meet here in Lowell have never lived more than 20 miles from where they were born. That means they have no clue that the "that's the way it is" mentality of this entire state is fundamentally screwed up. People in other parts of the country don't put up with this crap.

As voters, we have the power. The pols are OUR servants, not the other way 'round.

I'm not one to say one thing and do another, so I promise you all that tommorow I'll be contacting our Mayor (who seems like a decent fella the one time I've met him) about the current situation WRT to ALPs.

If I get the run around or I'm told to F-off, I'll report it here and I will vocally oppose it in letters to the editor of the Lowell Sun and at every city council meeting from here til the time I leave town (not soon enough to suit me).

I'm one person here in Lowell. If anyone else, whether or not you wish to respond publicly in this forum will at least PM me, I'll know I'm not alone, but if I have to be alone, that's ok too.

Maybe it's tilting at windmills, but I think it's worth a shot.

The post I read about "fixing tickets" disgusted me. You shouldn't be able to "fix" tickets. That's corruption. It's part of the problem with this sh*tty state. When corruption benefits you it's just fine, and when it doesn't you complain about corruption. The system is either impersonal and follows the laws or it's corrupt. There's no two ways about it.

Anyway, enough rant, time for action. I'll report back here with info as I get it, support would be appreciated.

-Bill

I'm glad we live in a green town. When are police chief took over a few years ago since he was an outsider it was the first thing I asked him whether he was a Shall issue chief.[laugh]

I'm not trying to be a d*ck so please excuse me if I piss anyone off, but the truth is that these fools are in office because people seriously don't think anyone can do anything or that there is any recourse.

It's sad, but most of the folks I meet here in Lowell have never lived more than 20 miles from where they were born. That means they have no clue that the "that's the way it is" mentality of this entire state is fundamentally screwed up. People in other parts of the country don't put up with this crap.

As voters, we have the power. The pols are OUR servants, not the other way 'round.

I'm not one to say one thing and do another, so I promise you all that tommorow I'll be contacting our Mayor (who seems like a decent fella the one time I've met him) about the current situation WRT to ALPs.

If I get the run around or I'm told to F-off, I'll report it here and I will vocally oppose it in letters to the editor of the Lowell Sun and at every city council meeting from here til the time I leave town (not soon enough to suit me).

I'm one person here in Lowell. If anyone else, whether or not you wish to respond publicly in this forum will at least PM me, I'll know I'm not alone, but if I have to be alone, that's ok too.

The post I read about "fixing tickets" disgusted me. You shouldn't be able to "fix" tickets. That's corruption. It's part of the problem with this sh*tty state. When corruption benefits you it's just fine, and when it doesn't you complain about corruption. The system is either impersonal and follows the laws or it's corrupt. There's no two ways about it.

Anyway, enough rant, time for action. I'll report back here with info as I get it, support would be appreciated.

-Bill
Quoted the whole message because it deserves to be read twice!

Bill, I disagree with you on a lot of stuff, but you are 100% correct in this. THEY work for YOU, and you should be holding them accountable. +1 for you, and FWIW, I'm behind you on this. Good luck, and good hunting!

It's definitely town by town...I recently lost/had stolen my wallet while I was in Boston. It happened on Saturday, I reported it on Sunday. The CLO in my town is just as nice as can be. When I reported it, there was no stern look or harsh words. The CLO expressed genuine sympathy for the inconvenience of having to replace everything (ALL my ID was in the wallet-doh) In fact, when I went to pick up the replacement 3 days after reporting it stolen The first thing he said was, "damn I bet you were surprised to hear from me so quickly. Now, if only we could get the original issue to come back in 3 days huh?"

Bill, I say go for it. Good on you. Take this issue by the nuts and see what you can do. It can be better and not everyone in MA can move to my town. That means things are going to have to chance. Imagine not only being treated with efficiency but with respect and, gasp, even kindness. Such things are possible I suppose. See what you can accomplish.

Quoted the whole message because it deserves to be read twice!

Bill, I disagree with you on a lot of stuff, but you are 100% correct in this. THEY work for YOU, and you should be holding them accountable. +1 for you, and FWIW, I'm behind you on this. Good luck, and good hunting!

dwarven1 summed up exactly what I was thinking, Bill. I wish both you and lord1234 the best of luck in your efforts.

I'll go out on a limb here and predict that you'll get a response along the lines of this: "That is a public safety matter and your question would best be handled by the expert in public safety, the Chief of Police."

Naturally, we understand that this issue is first and foremost a civil rights matter and only secondarily a public safety issue, but many people won't see it this way.

I'll give both of you a +1 for your efforts, though! [grin]

Last edited:
lord1234: Your time would be better spent developing cold fusion on a workbench in your cellar. More chance of success.

Lets not forget that in Carver, MA, gun owners had to get elected to the Selectman's position and then FIRE the chief.

Even then, weren't there other issues with Skoog that had to be leveraged to punt her out, on top of the fact that Carver was a "Black" town?

-Mike

lord1234: Your time would be better spent developing cold fusion on a workbench in your cellar. More chance of success.

Yes, but if he SUCCEEDED in perfecting cold fusion, he'd be so fricken rich he'd own the world.

Well, ok, he'd probably be killed by the energy consortiums...

Oh Lord, you're screwed either way.

BillNance: You probably can't make it worse by trying, so best luck to you. I do agree with one of the other posters that suggested getting some viewpoint/advice from Goal.

-Bill

Good luck Bill, I'll look forward to reading how the conversation goes.

Back
Top Bottom