Has anyone started fishing yet?

Went out with a buddy on Tuesday to Peters Pond in the kayaks. Was really windy but managed to catch a 15'' rainbow. Normally I don't keep them, but the combination of the water looking clean and catching him after a few hours of casting sealed his fate. Gonna hit up Buckmaster pond this morning with my daughter.

People are telling me mouth of the Merrimack? For stripers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'll be on the Quabbin tomorrow am--batteries charged, sonars checked, gassed up, rods restrung, etc. Gonna be a short day because of the early Bruins game, but I hope to have some pix.

Great spot, still a bit early theyll start hitting pretty good towards end of the month through september.

Great thanks im a noob when it comes to saltwater fishing. No boat will be fishing off the shore

I gotta get out and buy some cheap stuff, so me and my girls can go out and do some fishing.

Good luck!

I spoke with the guy at bait and tackle in Methuen he said people are starting to catch stripers in Salisbury

Worms are free, and hooks are cheap. ;-)

That said, we always had good luck with goldfish and daredevils.

My buddy has a 17' center console and wants to go out in the saltwater tomorrow. Anything on the NH coast biting yet? Should we try the mouth of the Merrimack for stripers?

Has he been to the mouth of the Merrimack in his 17 footer???

Not yet -- although based on your post I feel like we should be concerned? Too big? Too small? He bought it last year and we usually just put it in by the General Sullivan bridge in Dover and cruised around that area.

Not yet -- although based on your post I feel like we should be concerned? Too big? Too small? He bought it last year and we usually just put it in by the General Sullivan bridge in Dover and cruised around that area.

Access the tide tables. Don't attempt venturing out in an ebb (outgoing) tide. Especially if there is an ocean swell coming in. It gets very choppy, and sometimes there are huge standing waves. If you get past the mouth, make sure you get back before the ebb begins. It's not a place to trifle with in such a small boat. The Coast Guard sometimes uses it to practice heavy surf drills. Before your friend attempts anything like that, ask him if he has any "ocean" experience.

If you can work the tides, you should be good to go, but sometimes a flood tide bumping against an outflowing river can cause some turbulence as well. Be safe.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm very inexperienced when it comes to boat stuff. A guy I work with takes his 14' out there often, but he's been fishing that area for decades, so I didn't realize it was that turbulent. We took the 17' out to the Isles of Shoals last year and it wasn't too bad in the open water or the swells around the islands, but I'll make sure he is familiar with the tide charts and everything when we end up going out to the mouth of the Merrimack. I don't think we're going tomorrow.

My best friends father took his 19' whaler out to the mouth it capsized it was very turbulent water at the time coast guard had to tow his boat back in upside down. Luckily my friends father and his grandfather were ok but now he is VERY cautious of that area. Yes I have gone as oth hh im there but he checks the tides and he nn is very careful

Back
Top Bottom