Have you been shooting?

I shot bowling pins once at WPR Club, and thought it was OK with a 9mm.

I'd LOVE to shoot Sunday mornings, but Auburn Sportsman's Club is not open until 1:00 on Sundays.

Gotta get out again soon. I miss WPR with its 24 hour indoor range, plus you can shoot at cans/jugs on the ground which you can't at ASC.

2 weeks ago, Glock 22, SW performance center 1911 (plate and target.) SW model 41, and my baby BUSHY AR15.

I haven't shot since I shot the match yesterday... I try shooting 2-3 times a week at a minumum but with a newborn that doesn't always happen.

Pete

i shoot every sunday morning, i went last saturday because i went diving 8/3. shot the M44 and enfield and had to wait a little bit in the club house before shooting because a bitchy T-storm was moving through

I'll be going later this afternoon with my son, he is 7 and enjoys the range almost as much as I do.

what does your little man shoot?

my son has shot the .22 Mossberg 702 Rifle I got a while ago. i'm wondering if he's ready for the Walther P22. i've only brought him shooting 5 times, and he hasn't been in a few months. he does pretty good with the rifle (w / Scope), i'm just trying to guage when i should graduate him to a handgun. my son is 8 BTW. LOL

I took the day off and my wife and I went to the range this afternoon. The weather was perfect, no too hot with a nice breeze. We had the place all to ourselves. She shot my 10/22 for the first time and loved it. She also tried out the red dot on my MkIII. She put three rounds the the M&P 9 before she decided to go back to the MkIII. Maybe she will like it better after I get Mike LaRocca to do the trigger.

My dad was checking my M&P out. Dad's a WWII vet and while he hasn't been shooting in years still could be considered 'knowledgeable'[wink] He went to dry fire and I see him start to squeeze the trigger and stop, he then looks at me and asks 'how do you take the safety off?'

Prompted a very interesting conversation about MA gun laws.

Shot trap this past Thursday. I had a case of "Mr. Overconfidence" and was duly humbled. Shot some skeet and that was worse. Serves me right.

Took a friend out to shoot handguns the weekend before. He's a paintballer so he had trouble adhering to safety rules, particularly trigger discipline. He was able to adjust and we had a good time. Surprisingly he did best with my .357 and .40, not so good with the 9mm and .22. maybe he reached his saturation point. Whatever the case, it appears the hook was set. He submitted his LTC app yesterday.

I shot bowling pins once at WPR Club, and thought it was OK with a 9mm.

I'd LOVE to shoot Sunday mornings, but Auburn Sportsman's Club is not open until 1:00 on Sundays.

Gotta get out again soon. I miss WPR with its 24 hour indoor range, plus you can shoot at cans/jugs on the ground which you can't at ASC.

I think I'll bring the 10mil with some DT ammo incase I get too fustrated with the 9mm.

Took a friend out to shoot handguns the weekend before. He's a paintballer so he had trouble adhering to safety rules, particularly trigger discipline. He was able to adjust and we had a good time.
I used to referee and gunsmith at a paintball place on the south shore about fifteen years ago, and it used to drive me nuts how casual people were considering those .68 cal paintballs are the perfect size to enter and completely clear a human eye socket. Every time I worked there I would scream about fingers being off the trigger and all weapons being unloaded & pointed to the floor outside of the indoor playing area, and even then the ND and AD count was staggering. Most of you have seen how stupid people can be with live firearms, so you can only imagine the lack of respect some folks had when handling what they saw as a glorified toy. Ok, now that my digression is over... Was at S&W about a month ago. Spent about an hour trying out a 952 for the first time. What a fun pistol.

Spent about an hour trying out a 952 for the first time. What a fun pistol.---RG617
Which model was it 5" or 6", blue or stainless?

Respectfully,

jkelly

Just got back from HSC's IPSC practice shoot.

Glock 34 9mm

I try to get to the range once a week in general.

Just got back from HSC's IPSC practice shoot.

Glock 34 9mm

I try to get to the range once a week in general.

Did the weather hold out? I was going to go tonight but it looked like we were getting thunder storms so I didn't want to be out. Then, I got home and it all went away.

Anyways, I'll be at HSC on Friday to practice anyways.

Pete

Did the weather hold out? I was going to go tonight but it looked like we were getting thunder storms so I didn't want to be out. Then, I got home and it all went away.

Anyways, I'll be at HSC on Friday to practice anyways.

Pete

Hey Pete,

Weather was fine... started to drizzle a bit towards 7pm... but by then we had just called it quits.

Range day, with extras . . .

Thank God for digital cameras, I can take a dozen bummer photos before I get a good one and it doesn’t cost diddily, except for the camera of course.

Another great day at the range today (Friday), nice weather with a cool breeze that just about made it perfect. My shooting was anything but perfect, it was slowly getting better, group wise, through the last half dozen trips there, but not today. I couldn’t group worth a damn. It took a while before I had some semblance of a group so I quit then.

Not many members shooting when I arrived but when the last ones departed they left a ton of nice once fired brass just a glitterin and a twinklin in the sunlight. The folks that were there before them must have left a load of their own also, it took me about a half hour just collecting it . . .HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!

After finally straightening out my back from all that bending, I moseyed on over to eyeball the “DUDS” bucket before I started shooting, just to see what troubles some folks are having with their ammo. When I spied the accumulation of other people’s shooting woes I was aghast! There, sitting in the bucket along with all the different caliber ammo was about sixty, 45 ACP’s. The 45’s looked newly reloaded and unfired and seemed to be all done by the same person.

DSCN2580-2.jpg

I know that when I reload I can feel the powder when I shake the case (at least I thought so). With these I couldn’t feel anything. No way I would try to fire these puppies, (didn’t have a 45 with me today anyway). They could be loaded to the hilt with powder thereby not allowing any movement of the powder in the case and that would cause irreparable harm to gun, yours-truly and what little reputation I may have. These "Duds" are going to be dismantled and the casings and bullets used over again. I'll probably fire off the primers at the range, there's nowhere at home to do it without raising a ruckus.

Upon closer inspection, I thought, whoever did the reloading of this ammo must have been having a bad day. One or two of the loaded cartridges didn’t have a primer at all and a couple more had an “inverted” primer. I found only one case with a crack in the wall that ran two thirds of the way down from the top. I just couldn’t wait till I get home and get that ol’ bullet-puller a-hummin again. Just want to see if they didn’t have any powder in them, (which is my guess) or if they were over loaded.

Wouldn’t you know it, when I arrived home I was requested to get ready we’re having guests tonight! Perhaps if they get engrossed in the Olympics I can sneak away for a while and do a little bullet pulling and investigating. I would like to measure the powder charge, if any, and also see if I can decipher just what brand it is by the shape of the powder kernels and if it’s the correct measure he used.

I did a lot of hammering with that bullet puller when I finally got a chance and much to my surprise the rounds had powder in them that measured 3.5 gr. The bullets were semi-wadcutters that weighed in at a respectable 185 gr. I saved my Speer Reloading manual somewhere about six months ago and I’ll be dipped if I can lay my hands on it now. I just wanted to check out the powder charge. Of course I don’t know the brand of powder used but at 3.5 gr. that seems like a light load to me . . .I think I’ll check my Winchester 231 powder and see if the kernels (grains?) match up to what came out of these (I'll chuck the old powder of course.)

DSCN2542-1.jpg
components.jpg

There was more damaged casing now that I was working on them. Seven or so had cracks in them and one had a crumpled section on the mouth of the case. Add those to the ones that had no primers and others with primers inverted. What does that add up to . . .about twelve out of sixty?

DSCN2584-1.jpg

Perhaps the reloading fellow just chucked the rest of a group of 100 that he reloaded seeing that a decent percentage of the cases had cracked? A friend of mine said that he may have sold his 45 and just chucked out the ammo. Wouldn’t you give the buyer the ammo? No, maybe not, you’d be liable if the ammo was faulty.

NAMEPOWDER.jpg

I tried putting a match to a "pinch" of the powder to see if it still was potent, it did flared up nicely. I haven't compared the powder to what I have on hand, can anyone guess what the powder is just by eyeballing it?

Last edited:
6HOld, I wouldn't even think for 1 second to put any of that ammo thru any of my guns. They were in the duds bucket for a reason. Whoever loaded them is not a trustworth reloader. First, some are missing primers, some have upside down primers, some have split cases??? That is not a good sign in any way shape or form. I would stay away from that ammo like it was the plague. DON'T TRY SHOOTING THIS AMMO...

You don't know who loaded it, what it was loaded with, what tolerances it was loaded to, what powder it was loaded with etc. I shoot .38 super in my competition gun and we over load these to make major power factor. If you were to take my ammo and put it in a standard .38 super gun you would most likely have problems. One or two rounds would prob. just scare the crap out of you but much more and some guns will start falling apart.

Pete

6HOld, I wouldn't even think for 1 second to put any of that ammo thru any of my guns. They were in the duds bucket for a reason. Whoever loaded them is not a trustworth reloader. First, some are missing primers, some have upside down primers, some have split cases??? That is not a good sign in any way shape or form. I would stay away from that ammo like it was the plague. DON'T TRY SHOOTING THIS AMMO...
Pete

Pete ~ Thanks, I do appreciate your concern about shooting these rejects that were in the “Duds” bucket but please believe me I wouldn't. I did mention in the post that “No way I would try to fire these puppies, (didn’t have a 45 with me today anyway). They could be loaded to the hilt with powder thereby not allowing any movement of the powder in the case and that would cause irreparable harm to gun, yours-truly and what little reputation I may have."

You did put it in my mind to make the statement a little stronger and also state just why I did want these “Duds” in the first place, so I added this line to the post that should help:
These "Duds" are going to be dismantled and the good casings and bullets used over again. I'll probably fire off the primers at the range, there's nowhere at home to do it without raising a ruckus.

Sounds like you missed the opportunity to educate your guests on reloading. Would have been interesting and fun for somebody to see that, and to learn a little more about you and you of them. (-;

Back
Top Bottom