Haverhill Hound Rod & Gun Club

The rifle range is closed "until further notice" :(

/puke - any reason why?
That is not the sort of thing I like to hear, I hope the club is ok and there was not an incident.
If anyone can get any further information on this it would be great.
Thank you for the post Raven!

i contacted jeff richards and this was his response

There is concern that rounds are getting into the neighborhood above and beyond the range. The range will need some work to prevent this from happening. Range officers may be instated like most other clubs have done. Saty tuned, come to the meeting on the 10th.

Jeff Richards
Secretary - HHR&G

i was just there shooting on sunday after the air rifle competition and everything seemed cool, my friend got there before me and overheard one of the guys talking about something but im not gonna go repeating that because i am unsure of its validity

i did find out through the grape vine last time there was an issue it was found to be woodpeckers putting holes in peoples houses...

Last edited:
Anybody have an update from the BOD meeting? I may not be able to make Tuesday's meeting (wife's birthday).

Well it doesn't look good, I wont say much since the BOD wants a tight lid on information until a plan is in place. Basically what needs to be done is almost a complete overhaul of the clubs safety precautions ie range officers are going to be instated and upgrades to the gate, cameras installed and a better system to monitor who is on the range and when. That's in addition to changes to rifle range that need to be done before it can be reopened which could be months.

Well it doesn't look good, I wont say much since the BOD wants a tight lid on information until a plan is in place. Basically what needs to be done is almost a complete overhaul of the clubs safety precautions ie range officers are going to be instated and upgrades to the gate, cameras installed and a better system to monitor who is on the range and when. That's in addition to changes to rifle range that need to be done before it can be reopened which could be months.

This does not sound good. I hope they mail the members and explain what is happening with the club. I wish I could have made the meeting but my schedule did not allow it. Someone done something stupid that obvious but when/what/how are all the questions. I appreciate the report el duderino.

Same here, would like to know what's going on and when.

They have "rules" in place now but every time I would go to the range, there would be 3-4 old timers shooting, walking around, no one but me is signed in. Yet they will be the first to say something if you do something that they think is wrong.
I suspect that these "gents" would be the RSO's seeing as they have nothing to do with their time anyways.

Plaistow is starting to look pretty good.......

I'm not giving up. The range will be fixed. As a gun owner safety is allways 1st.

I agree and you can't regulate stupid. I say everyone needs to get behind the club and support the proper changes and fight the un-needed ones. You have a voice and use it. I wish I could have been there at the meeting but my plans were such they could not be changed. I will be doing my best to support the changes we need but keep the club from going down the path of over regulation.

if the club wants to institute range safety officers, they should have an rso class on site. i would certainly spend a weekend day getting certified in order to be able to shoot whenever i want. i would bring this up at a meeting but i work nights and can't get to any meetings.
and this sounds like another case of a few morons screwing it up for everyone else. really is a shame that security might need to be beefed up.

I also hope they send out some sort of communication to all the members so we understand the proposed changes and know how to support them.

if the club wants to institute range safety officers, they should have an rso class on site. i would certainly spend a weekend day getting certified in order to be able to shoot whenever i want. i would bring this up at a meeting but i work nights and can't get to any meetings.
and this sounds like another case of a few morons screwing it up for everyone else. really is a shame that security might need to be beefed up.

Keep an eye on the website they will have a class coming up the club will pay for, but expect a commitment to be required to be available as range officer.

Plenty of bad info. Denaro told the BOD that the pistol range was fine, there's no way for a round to leave that range if fired from the firing line unless done deliberately.

if the club wants to institute range safety officers, they should have an rso class on site. i would certainly spend a weekend day getting certified in order to be able to shoot whenever i want.

you wont be able to. You would still be subject to the rules of the range. you will need a RSO to watch you shoot. You will also need to devote time to the club as an RSO.

I would not expect the rifle range to be open for quite some time

Well, here it is, I grabbed this off the web site. Guess I will be looking for a new club.

Many thanks to the A-Hole that thinks shooting into the air, is fun. either that or he doesn't know where the target is, or a gun with a bent barrel, I could go on and on.... , Jerk.

[angry][angry][angry]

The rifle range is closed, and will probably remain so until the spring, when renovations can be effected. In the meantime, the pistol range is open only when an RSO is present. Formal RSO training of volunteers will take place in December. Until then senior members, many NRA certified pistol instructors, have volunteered for RSO duty at the outdoor pistol range. The dates and times they will be at the range are listed below.
Sat 1000-1700hrs, Sun 1300-1700hrs
Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri 1000-1400hrs

Last edited:
Well, here it is, I grabbed this off the web site. Guess I will be looking for a new club.

Many thanks to the A-Hole that thinks shooting into the air, is fun. either that or he doesn't know where the target is, or a gun with a bent barrel, I could go on and on.... , Jerk.

[angry][angry][angry]

HORRAY! so what clubs in the area are a good alternative?

Sounds like a shitty situation for all involved.

If anyone needs an interim home to shoot I'd be more than happy to host a guest or two at Harvard. Send me a PM

Back
Top Bottom