• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Haverhill Hound Rod & Gun Club

I heard that HHRG has now been forced to close it's trap ranges by the EPA. Is that true? If so, was it due to lead contamination?

It is closed, all we have right now is a pistol range when and if theres a RSO on duty, and an archery range [sad2]

Its closed because someone (obviously a neighbor) making a complaint to a legislator who got the DEP involved as one of the complaints. The complaint was for noise(clubs grandfathered, f the noise), rounds leaving the range(has nothing to do with DEP and is being handled) and the trap and skeet ranges being pretty much on top of the wetlands. I guess back in '02 they passed a law or regulation saying you cannot shoot into or over wetlands, and they dont want the clays going into the wetlands either. They gave clubs 10 years to complete it and the club failed to do so, and that time is now up, so really its the clubs fault. The DEP let the club voluntarily close the ranges so that when they fix them they can start right up rather than going through the whole process. Theyre hoping to have that fixed by spring too but I dont see it happening.

This is getting worse. If we keep heading in this direction we may not have a club left. Lets hope we dont lose to many members as a result of this year.

I am still renewing if for no other reason then to keep some money flow coming their way.

That's too bad - I'm not a member there, but it's always a shame when a club closes because our sport/lifestyle is under constant attack and we need all the sanctuaries we can get. Hopefully the club will pull through.

Theyre looking for guys to join the committees so if you have time to volunteer and ideas for improvements, send the secretary an email or go to the bod meeting and let them know.

I see on the club website that there is RSO training this weekend; does that mean that the range is closed today?

I live in haverhill and would be interested in checking out this place out.

I am a member of this club, it's a nice place. Just realize, the rifle range, and skeet/trap range are both closed due to issues. No timetable as to when they will re-open. The outdoor pistol range is the only outdoor range open right now, and that's only when there is an RSO. The indoor range is still open, no RSO needed as far I know.

Just bought an expensive AR and went over to HHRG to see if I could fire 10 rounds to see how it worked. The RSO told me to go join Georgetown Fish and Gun Club. I have been, off and on, a member of HHRG for 20 years, and I go the impression, probably incorrect, that the club was going to close and sell out to developers, or the 3/4 milion dollar houses within sight of the range. When I asked him what was going on with the club, the RSO said if I read the paper I would know. He said the homeowners are finding bullets all over their land. I left and went to Georgetown, which I will join instead next year.

What was the RSO's name? ... I read the paper all the time and there has been no news since the original news. I have remained a member there in support of the situation and holding out hope that they will be able to become a usable range again.

What was the RSO's name? ... I read the paper all the time and there has been no news since the original news. I have remained a member there in support of the situation and holding out hope that they will be able to become a usable range again.

Yup, did you get his name? You should tell the BOD that an RSO is spreading unfounded bs. I havnt made the last two meetings but I know the club has every intention of reopening the ranges asap. There's a BOD meeting tonite I believe.

Also how are they supposed to sell off to developers, who owns the club?

I really do hope they fix things. even with the RSO schedule up I have been at least 3 time and no one was there. No notice or anything. I don't shoot lead except out of my 22 (didn't have it with me ) so I cant use the indoor range.

I'm a r.s.o. there. I work odd Mon. I was going to fill in on Wed but it's raining cats and dogs today. I when down there in the am. It was raining hard went home. My son is home sick. If someone wants to shoot in the rain sorry. If you seen what was going on at the rifle range you see why it's not open. It takes a few bad people to F. It up. I'm been a member for 20 plus years. Only a few step up to help. I'm trying to do my part. But my wife and son comes 1st. As gun people safe is 1st. Shooting a ar 15 at the p. Range is not good. If you want I have a 22 rim fire upper. That I will let you shoot.I work nights so I miss meeting. If you need help it will try to help. Thanks and have a good day Magoo

Not much in the way of updates from the meeting, priority is fixing rifle range which they've got surveyed and have a model to tinker with as far as what direction they'll go, plan is to have it open sometime this summer hopefully it can be done. Skeet range doesn't sound like any plan is in place yet but committee to meet soon.
.22 rifles are allowed on the pistol and indoor range. RSOs now have fluorescent yellow badges so you know who's the RSO on duty, as said earlier if you have an issue with one take his name and member number and bring it up with BOD. They hope to have a calendar up on website to post who will be on RSO duty. There's only about a dozen now so if you can help out I believe they're going to just do training in house and simplify it instead of NRA, they should have something posted to website soon on who to contact for volunteering and when they'll do training.

The rifle range is looking good. The frames are made for the steel tubes. They are going to be put in and it looks like. They will be packed with sand. You will shoot thur tube.

I would be so happy to get back to HHRG. It has been a long time and I miss my local home range. Looking forward to when its facilities are back up and running for its members.

Just a quick update for those interested in the rifle range: there's going to be a work party every Saturday which will hopefully speed things up.

From the looks of it, the more people we can get the faster it'll get done. So come help if you can!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Just a quick update for those interested in the rifle range: there's going to be a work party every Saturday which will hopefully speed things up.

From the looks of it, the more people we can get the faster it'll get done. So come help if you can!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Thanks for this update... is that starting this weekend? Very good news indeed.

Back
Top Bottom