• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HELP Kel Tec 380 mag release issue

I have a Kel Tec 380 that I carry alot and the magazine release has gotten so touchy that the gun is almost not usable. If I touch the release button at all the mag drops or even if it is in my pocket and bumps something it releases. Has anyone had a similiar problem and or tell me how to fix it?
Thanks in advance

Hold the gun with your hand away from the release and pull hard on the magazine and see it comes free without using the release at all.

If not, just call keltec, they'll either send you a new mag release or offer to fix it free.

what do you use for a holster in your pocket?

one of the things ruger fixed with the design when they made the LCP is that it has some plastic around the mag release and it's set a little more into the frame. i used to have problems like this but get yourself a desantis nemesis holster and it should help HUGE.

Hold the gun with your hand away from the release and pull hard on the magazine and see it comes free without using the release at all.

If not, just call keltec, they'll either send you a new mag release or offer to fix it free.

Yes if I pull on the mag i can pull it right out of the gun without touch the release.

Yes if I pull on the mag i can pull it right out of the gun without touch the release.

Thats a mag issue. Insert the mag and look at the opposite side of the mag release. If the opposite side of the mag release is about flush with the frame when the mag is inserted, it is locked into the mag. If the opposite side or the mag release becomes recessed when the mag is inserted, it is locked in properly. Try starting the Mag into the magwell just alittle bit, and then slam it in. That will usually get even an improperly fitting mag to seat.

Send it in for customer service.

When you get it back, don't forget the FLUFF AND BUFF

http://thektog.org/tecwerks10.htm

AHA!!!

Mags dropping free
by Chandler Bates
First: I want my EMPTY mags to drop free, but I do NOT want my FULL mags to drop free. If I hit the mag release accidentally, I would rather the mag stay in the gun so I can "Tap" it back in place.

Also, if I do a "Tactical Reload" (replace a partially full mag with a full one while retaining the partially full one) I would prefer to control the extraction of the mag with rounds in it rather than have it jump out from the gun in case I don't get control of it right away.

As luck would have it, Kel-Tec double stack mags seem to fulfill these requirements admirably. They are slightly wider when loaded because of the lateral pressure of the cartridges inside. The fewer the cartridges, the less the pressure. Empty magazines should drop free while loaded ones should pop

full article:
Mags dropping free

Last edited:
I sent an email to Kel Tec customer service and got a reply the next day. They felt it was an easy fix and would be mailing me a new mag catch and instructions on how to install it. I will update the thread after I get it installed. Very happy so far with Kel Tec customer service.

got the new mag release in the mail with instructions on how to replace it. The entire thing took me about 30 minutes and the gun is back to full working order. Very happy with Kel Tec customer service.

got the new mag release in the mail with instructions on how to replace it. The entire thing took me about 30 minutes and the gun is back to full working order. Very happy with Kel Tec customer service.

I have a mag release issue with a PF9 I bought used - sent an email to Keltec on Sat and received a reply early this morning. They are sending a replacement mag catch out free of charge. Their service is great.

I have a Kel Tec 380 that I carry alot and the magazine release has gotten so touchy that the gun is almost not usable. If I touch the release button at all the mag drops or even if it is in my pocket and bumps something it releases. Has anyone had a similiar problem and or tell me how to fix it?
Thanks in advance
I am having just the opposite problem. It used to be that way now I can't get the magazine to loosen.

Back
Top Bottom