Help Me Narrow Down My CCW Choices. Pick Out Your Most Hated.

I don't see any Canek on the list. The out of state S&W will have the 6 lb. trigger. Probably an OWB holster for a Maine winter. Maybe try them with gloves also. I would buy a full size 9mm and learn how to shoot. Then think about the CCW model, it could be a micro-nine to pocket carry in the summer.

Last edited:
Am I the first to suggest a trench coat and a Mosin nagant?
mosin-pistol.jpeg

SBR stamp + medical bills for when the recoil breaks your dainty wrists, the report blows out your ear drums, and the unburnt powder/muzzle blast sets you/everything within several feet on fire.

As much as I like to make fun of Glocks and Glock fanbois, as a basic utilitarian self defense weapon they are my #1 choice and the choice of new shooters I have 'trained'. If you want something that's also OK for home defense and don't mind a medium size frame for OWB or IWB- get the G19. If something more compact and easy to conceal even in summer is important, go for the 43X.

I also joke a lot about 9mm, but it is a more than adequate round and certainly the best for new shooters wanting something for self defense.

Like Glock fan boys are much better.

View attachment 537280
For anyone this confused, glock is the way to go. They work, everyone can shoot them decently, and they are not expensive. If they don't like it, they can flip it for $900 in the classifieds and make some monies.

More importantly, who buys just one gun? Who has never bought a gun that they ended up regretting? No one. OP spend some money.

My wife uses the Glock 19 Gen4. I use the Glock 26 Gen4. Both are excellent handguns if you want a 9mm. We have restricted MA LTCs and use these weapons for home defense purposes, not concealed carry, but the Glock 26 is a subcompact that conceals easily under even light summer clothing.
I thought you had FIDs, which lie is it this week?

The Walthers would not be an option for me, as they take a special tool to field strip. Never owned or shot (or even seen IRL for that matter), but it sounds like a PITA to find holsters/spare mags/parts.
Special tool? What would that be?

As other posters may have already replied… You are overthinking it. Go to a gun store (best during off hours) and ask to fondle a whole bunch of guns. Some will feel great, others not so much. If you can rent some, even better.

But again, don’t overthink it. You will probably own half that list after a few years in the hobby anyway.

edit: in regards to your list; it is a pretty solid list. All those guns should be reliable and accurate.
Make sure to sweep all the employees, they get a kick out of it and laugh and laugh.

My first handgun and my first EDC firearm was a Glock 27. You may see a pattern developing here but my recommendation would be to get the Glock 19!

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH!!!

how many of those firearms have you actually shot???

buying something based on cool-guy factor is a bad choice… go to a range, test fire every gun you’re seriously considering, then buy one pre-owned from NES.

Big difference between a carry gun and a home defense gun. One-size-fits-all really isn’t a thing, although there are several firearms that can fit the bill. Personally, I rather own multiple than just one…

/rant

my $0.02, as they say…

Not to hijack the thread, but ME is #48 on this list of free states right before CA and NY.

48. Maine

Pros: Nice views, beautiful landscape, and food trucks. (I’m really trying here.)

Cons: Maine only has medical vaccine exemptions, heavily regulates homeschooling, has a high cost of living, a tyrannical governor, poor second amendment protections, and isn’t an ideal place for someone who wants minimal government intervention and values medical freedoms to live.

Raw Score:
Vaccine exemptions: 1
Homeschooling regulation: 4
Second amendment: 2
Political Ideology: 1
Governor: 1
Covid19 Response: 4
Personal reviews: 2
Cost of living: 2

BTW, I'm a revolver guy so I have no nickles in this quarter WRT a 9mm EDC.

My suggestion would be a .38 snubby for EDC, FWIIW.
How long did you have to search to find somebody's made-up list that refuted the OP's "fre state" assertion?

That list gives ME the same score as MA when it comes to the 2nd Ammendment.

Seriously, dude....

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH!!!

how many of those firearms have you actually shot???

buying something based on cool-guy factor is a bad choice… go to a range, test fire every gun you’re seriously considering, then buy one pre-owned from NES.

Big difference between a carry gun and a home defense gun. One-size-fits-all really isn’t a thing, although there are several firearms that can fit the bill. Personally, I rather own multiple than just one…

/rant

my $0.02, as they say…
Like I said, my primary deciding factor will be what I shoot best. I just can't afford to properly test all these guns on a college budget, so I really need to narrow my choices down. I know it's an important step, but I don't really trust myself to pick the best fit to my hand by just holding a gun and not firing it. (Although I have and will still do that.)

Like I said, my primary deciding factor will be what I shoot best. I just can't afford to properly test all these guns on a college budget, so I really need to narrow my choices down. I know it's an important step, but I don't really trust myself to pick the best fit to my hand by just holding a gun and not firing it. (Although I have and will still do that.)

Well... but you're not making any sense.

We all get what you're trying to do. But there's a bottom line to everything, and the bottom line here is that you're simply not going to be able to shoot all of these against each other. You're going to have to accept that narrowing your choices down can't be done with live rounds.

The next best thing? Go to an LGS and fondle some guns. As long as you intend to buy one instead of just wasting the clerk's time, that's the only way you're going to know what fits your hand. And the salespeople will be interested in helping you figure that out.

You claim to have done copious research. Meaning, you understand bore axis and its relationship to recoil. That, plus a modicum of shooting experience with ANY gun, should give you enough awareness to be able to hold a gun in hand and guess how it's going to kick. And if it doesn't? Just sell it and buy a new one. It's not a big deal; you're not marrying this thing.

Ergonomics matter more than recoil, IMO. The gun that feels right and points well is the one you should be carrying. You can learn to cope with the recoil later, through practice.

The bottom line is that despite your "research," you're still relying on others to tell you what you want to hear. Go find out for yourself. And do us all a favor? Don't try this again once it comes time for you to pick a holster.

Back
Top Bottom