High Power Rifle Shooting is Addictive!

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
The title says it all! [twisted]

Brent joined us for a while this afternoon at Braintree R&P. All it took was for me to let him shoot my CAR-15 (preban) with Aimpoint, 60 rounds of .223 and I got him hooked! [twisted]

Brent was drooling for his own AR15 by the time we were done. They are great guns to shoot and it's been pretty close to a year since I had fired it (been concentrating on defensive pistol shooting up to now).

Lots of fun and a great day to be outdoors.

You're right, it is addictive. The first time a guy makes a shot at 500 yards using only a sling and iron sights, they're hooked. It's fun to be at the range when guys are shooting their scoped .270's and 7mm Mag's at MAYBE out to 200 from a bench and sand bags, thinking their 5" groups are cool, then come gather 'round while I'm shooting 500 from the prone. Certain anatomy on them tend to shrink, I think.

I bet it is very addictive i have only talked to TonyD over the phone about some of the match shoots he has been to and i am already tying save up some money so that i can buy my own Ar 15 and start shooting! I am buying a membership at a range that is only about 5 min from my house they only have 100yrd range. For now i will be shooting my 22 and 222,308, and 30-06 for a little while until i can get my ar 15! I will just be trying to get the basics down! What are some of the things i should be trying to work on until i get my rifle? I probaly will not be getting my rifle until the end of the summer! Thanks

Dallask

DallasK said:
I bet it is very addictive i have only talked to TonyD over the phone about some of the match shoots he has been to and i am already tying save up some money so that i can buy my own Ar 15 and start shooting! I am buying a membership at a range that is only about 5 min from my house they only have 100yrd range. For now i will be shooting my 22 and 222,308, and 30-06 for a little while until i can get my ar 15! I will just be trying to get the basics down! What are some of the things i should be trying to work on until i get my rifle? I probaly will not be getting my rifle until the end of the summer! Thanks

Dallask

Oh, where to start? First, I think you said you have a military style leather sling. If that's the case then you should start by learning how to use it properly (like the link I posted) and start learning and practicing the three basic shooting positions. (You're going to need to know this when you get to the Corps). They are:

Standing / Offhand - Do not use the sling in this position
Sitting (or Kneeling) - Use the sling as described in the link
Prone - Same use of sling

You can practice this using almost any UNLOADED rifle. It doesn't have be an AR.

The next thing is to start learning about Sight Alignment / Sight Picture, breath control and trigger control. Then, you can start to work in some dry-fire practice followed by putting it all together at the range during live-fire. 100 yards is fine to start praticing as long as you use the correct size target.

derek said:
TonyD said:
DallasK said:
what do you think about this rifle kind of $$$ but i think it has wht i need?
Thanks

DallasK

http://adcofirearms.com/itemdetails.cfm?inventorynumber=1327

Dallas - That's the same rifle I spec'ed out for you. Except, I pointed you to place to get it about $200 cheaper. Exact same rifle.

Oh do tell.

Nothing much. Just sent him to RBPrecision. The complete NM A2 RRA's upper is about $550 and the lower was around $230, in my memory serves.

The NM is only about $100 more than mine, the cost of a float tube. Sights are sights. It doesn't cost more for one or the other when ordering. That's the only difference between my rifle and that one. I should sprung for the tube.

Wanted to get into it..

I was able to get my hands on two Bushmaster's from a buddy that didn't want them. One was a M4A3, the other was a XM15 E2S A2 20in w/Stainless Steel Barrel. I've had them for some time. But don't really have anyone to go and shoot them with. So I just plink at the club.

I've been interested in learning comp shooting with them, just don't know anyone that has a team. My brother-in-law shot on the Army team. But he's been so busy lately working forced protection and getting ready to head to Iraq that we've never even been shooting together.

Re: Wanted to get into it..

C-pher said:
I was able to get my hands on two Bushmaster's from a buddy that didn't want them. One was a M4A3, the other was a XM15 E2S A2 20in w/Stainless Steel Barrel. I've had them for some time. But don't really have anyone to go and shoot them with. So I just plink at the club.

I've been interested in learning comp shooting with them, just don't know anyone that has a team. My brother-in-law shot on the Army team. But he's been so busy lately working forced protection and getting ready to head to Iraq that we've never even been shooting together.

C-pher,

Do you have any other high power equipment? Brent and I shoot High Power at Reading Rifle just about every weekend.

Derek

C-pher, check out my thread on getting started. That Xm15, spotting scope, ammo and a sling is all you need to start high power shooting. You're close enough to Derek and Reading to see what it's all about.

The spotting scope is the hardest thing to get. If you want to try out high power let me know and I will get you started.

derek said:
The spotting scope is the hardest thing to get. If you want to try out high power let me know and I will get you started.
Sounds like you could almost try a small orientation class again Derek.

JonJ said:
derek said:
Sounds like you could almost try a small orientation class again Derek.

I may try and schedule a clinic in the fall. My summer, and the range are pretty much booked until the fall with matches and Camp Perry.

derek said:
I may try and schedule a clinic in the fall. My summer, and the range are pretty much booked until the fall with matches and Camp Perry.
That'd be cool. I think I still may try one this summer just for S's & G's. Are they very tolerant of "newbies"?

JonJ said:
derek said:
That'd be cool. I think I still may try one this summer just for S's & G's. Are they very tolerant of "newbies"?

Let me know when you can shoot, and I'll make sure Im at that match at Reading. If you want to shoot there. I can get you squaded with me.

How far is Reading?

When I look it's way up north. I'm guessing about an hour and a half from North Attleboro? Going around 495? I'd be up for a shoot sometime. It's hard to get away that far for a long time on the weekends, but we can work something out.

I'd be up for being part of a small orientation class. I'd like a chance to see what I would be doing in a match, how to properly sight in, etc... before getting into the match.

Is the sling that came with the rifles be good? Or should I get one of the leather ones like you has listed in antoher thread?

Re: How far is Reading?

C-pher said:
When I look it's way up north. I'm guessing about an hour and a half from North Attleboro? Going around 495? I'd be up for a shoot sometime. It's hard to get away that far for a long time on the weekends, but we can work something out.

I'd be up for being part of a small orientation class. I'd like a chance to see what I would be doing in a match, how to properly sight in, etc... before getting into the match.

Is the sling that came with the rifles be good? Or should I get one of the leather ones like you has listed in antoher thread?

Just make sure it is a loop sling. If nothing else, pick up a M1 web sling.

OK, I'll look. How do I know if it's a loop sling? The slings that came with the rifles are still wrapped up in the plastic that they came in. But I don't mind unwrapping them and looking.

Here's my problem also...I'm really bad about reading and doing. I was like that in college. Go to class, do well, miss and read the book...not so much. I'm a visual, hands on person. That's why I think that a class would be a good thing for me.

Like I said before. I was able to pick these up from a buddy of mine. I've never really sighted them in. Mainly becasue I don't have have a rifle rest or a sight vice. So I haven't sighted them in correctly. If I even need that. Have never shot the thing Prone, and I know that there's a correct way to do that. Hell, I know that there's a lot that there is to know in regards to firing an AR15

When it comes to ARs I'm pretty much a newbie on them. Even though I've had them for a couple of years, I haven't found any local people I shoot with that are really into them. So, when I do take them to the range, I mostly just put clay down at the end and pick them off.

Anyway, so I come out to shoot. All I need to bring is my rifle, the scope, ammo. (I'm guessing Match grade? I have a bunch of that Winchester "white box" 5.56 that's like 4 bucks for 20) and a good loop sling? I think that I can handle that..

C-pher,

I doubt the slings that came with them are loop slings. You need to find a green M1 sling or Marine Corps M16 sling. These slings have a fold-over quick adjuster at the top and a "U" shaped quick release for the bottom. This is not a good picture but this is what you need.

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merc...=FG&Product_Code=1447&Category_Code=M14A+MISC

I recommend you initially sight your rifle in the sitting position, using your sling, at 50 yards using the match grade ammo you will be shooting in a match.

derek said:
Let me know when you can shoot, and I'll make sure Im at that match at Reading. If you want to shoot there. I can get you squaded with me.

Thanks Derek, will do. I'll check the match sked and see what will work for me. I know I'll be nervous as hell but I can't wait to try.

C-pher said:
I'll have to check over at GI Joe's around the corner from the house to see if they carry them. They have TONS of surplus stuff.
Never heard of GI Joes. Love to pick around surplus shops. How about a review over in the "dealer" forum. Let us know what they stock.

Back
Top Bottom