Highpower clinics

PatMcD

NES Member
Please, anybody who is even remotely interested in shooting NRA Highpower/CMP-type matches definitely take advantage of the clinics taking place at Nashua, Augusta, Scarborough (schedule pending), or any other range. It is meant for NEW GUYS. No pressure, don't worry about a thing; just go out and have fun.

I've been told by a lot of guys that they want to "get good" before they go shoot in a match. Forget it. Leave your ego at home. Nobody cares what scores you shoot except you.
It's about learning how to shoot the rifle.

I'll probably be at the ones in Scarborough and Augusta. Anybody who wants to give it a try can use my rifle and my ammo.

how much, when?? What's considered high-power? I always wanted to try that and I don't have any expensive guns that could shoot far with high precision.

Most clinics have loaner rifles available. And you don't need a high dollar rifle to compete. I began in service rifle with a stock Colt Sporter.

This sounds exactly what I am looking for ... I'm a hi po noob ... where do I sign up?

Nashua has one on April 30th. Good crew down there. I've taken a couple of friends there on multiple occasions and thought they did an excellent job.

B

Nashua has one on April 30th. Good crew down there. I've taken a couple of friends there on multiple occasions and thought they did an excellent job.

B

30th CMP Clinic 7:30 am Start time $40.00 includes ammo and Pizza for Lunch
So in Nashua, do I just show up with $40.00 and they provide Rifle, spotting scope etc. as well?

If there is a contact number on the schedule it would probably be best to call them with any questions, as all ranges probably have different procedures.
I'm on my phone and cant access the schedules for some reason.

wondered that too....the only thing I can think of is maybe wind drift. I have heard that lighter bullets at distance get tossed around pretty good.

I was just reading the Reading page and is says that 55-62 grain .223 cant be shot at 600 yds... why is that?

I'm interesting in taking part in highpower type matches. Right now I do 3 position smallbore stuff at my local club. Highpower would be completely new to me.

Finding where, what to bring and when are my biggest issues. No ego or shyness about learning here.

I was just reading the Reading page and is says that 55-62 grain .223 cant be shot at 600 yds... why is that?

I don't know the exact reason but I have shot 600 yards there many times and I can tell you on a windy day shooting anything lighter than 77gr is difficult to keep your rounds on the target. I think the lightest I shot was 69 and it was a struggle with switching wind. No point in shooting 55-62, all you're going to do is piss off the person pulling your target while you're shooting "minute of mattress".

Guys, it's right there in black & white on the Nashua link in the stickies:

CMP Clinic: Cost $40
Classroom and range instruction: Live fire @ 200yds with one on one coaching instruction (includes ammo, loaner equipment to use, and pizza for lunch) Contact Steve Hannigan 603-429-0502

I would call Steve and maybe reserve a spot. It's worth your day and $40.

I don't know the exact reason but I have shot 600 yards there many times and I can tell you on a windy day shooting anything lighter than 77gr is difficult to keep your rounds on the target. I think the lightest I shot was 69 and it was a struggle with switching wind. No point in shooting 55-62, all you're going to do is piss off the person pulling your target while you're shooting "minute of mattress".
I was at a match at Devens on a mildly windy day when I didn't have enough 69 gr Federal Match for the entire course of fire. Like an idiot, I started shooting the 69 gr first. So I had to transition to the 55gr surplus ammo while at the 600 yard line. Dumb move. My 9s and 10s became 7s at 3:00. I can just imagine what 55s are like on a really windy day.

easybutton.jpg

Go to the Nashua Fish and Game website. They have a High Power schedule for 2011 up.

scroll down

CMP Clinic: Cost $40.00
Classroom & Range Instruction: Live Fire @ 200yds with one on one coaching instruction
(includes ammo, loaner equipment to use and Pizza for Lunch) Contact Steve Hannigan 603-429-050

B

HI there, Capitol City is also hosting a small clinic. I am asking 30 dollars for a clinic and to cover your first match. I plan on having rifles and equipment to use. I should also have some help of experienced shooters to help anyone who comes. Our schedule is posted as a sticky post, and you can see our info on our web site www.capitolcityrpc.org You can feel free to contact me at anytime for further info at [email protected]

Dave Sheppard

Hello All,
Steve Hannigan is the contact to get signed up at NFGA like the website linked to above states.
I always coach one of the positions for the outdoor range part of the clinic and look forward to meeting and seeing you all there.

George

Pemigewasset Valley Fish & Game (http://pemi.org) on 5/14 is another option for y'all up north.

Woburn Sportsmen's usually runs one but I haven't seen their match schedule this year.

Reading runs a superb clinic for juniors but I don't see it on the match schedule. (Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it might also be full already.)

Anything registered with the CMP (which is not all of them, though) will turn up here, though summer stuff may not be posted yet:
http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchUpcomingSearch.cgi?designation=CLINIC
Looks like Cape Ann is going to be running a bunch again, and there are options in RI and CT as well.

Gear-wise, I haven't seen a clinic where you had to show up with anything more than yourself and a good attitude. (Bringing ear and eye protection that you like is certainly good, though, and a hat and water bottle might be a good bet.)

Have fun!

Two years ago they scheduled a leg match on the Sunday following the clinic. Great way to get enough non distinguished to give out two legs I thought. Only one of the non-distinguished people that participated in the clinic stayed to shoot the EIC. It was my buddy that I press-ganged into shooting. [thinking]

I think the sport is pretty much self-selecting.

B

Pat, thanks for posting this. I'm signed up for the clinic at Nashua on 4/30, which is about when I am expecting my WOA upper and Geissele trigger to come in [dance]

I'm definitely looking forward to a busy High Power season this year.

Last edited:
Make sure to come back the next day for the match. Most wimp out.

B

Definitely interested, I may have to take my own car in case the rest of my group doesn't want to stick around, and I'd have to see if I can borrow someone's gear for the match the following day, but I will see what I can do to make it.

The clinic portion is only 200 yards. If you want to shoot at 600 you need to come back the next day. The regulars will all have mats and some gear to loan. Spotting scopes are probably the most important. If you have one bring it, you will need some type of optic to score, and to see your shot groups. Steve has rifles and ammo. Not sure if you have to buy the ammo for the match the next day or not. I believe the ammo for the clinic portion is free.

B

The match the day after the NFGA clinic is a League match. We don't shoot 600 in the league matches.
The course of fire is at http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/nfga_2011_schedule.pdf

The leageus and the CMP matches are great for people just getting started out and expierienced alike.
The best thing for newer shooters is coaching is allowed.

Ammo should be available for sale at the league match the next day.
Just let Steve know that at the end of the clinic that you will be there for the league match the next day and what you will need for gear, ammo, etc...

Lets hope for good weather that whole weekend.

See you there!
George

Back
Top Bottom