Highpower clinics

Sorry guys. They use to shoot a full distance match the day after. I still recommend the NF&G clinic because I know all the people and they do a great job. G Smith is a very accomplished Service Rifle shooter and Distinguished Rifleman. He is not the only one. Lots of experienced riflemen at Nashua.

B

Had a great time at the Nashua clinic today, everyone was very nice and very helpful. Buying a service rifle is very near in my future. [grin]

Huge turn out, probably 50-60 people, easily! Biggest class a lot of the guys had ever seen, but still ran smooth and we all got great one on one coaching and a good bit of time behind the gun as well as in the pits.

I would have liked to stuck around to shoot the match tomorrow, but it wasn't in the cards for this weekend. [sad]

We had a great time today. Biggest class they ever had. Great pizza. And learned a lot. Should have brought a cigar to smoke while I took my turn in the pits.

Congrats. Talk to some of the guys and tell them you want to shoot the matches. Best way to find deals on gear and make friends.

B

Yes, the NF&G folks ran a great clinic. For experienced shooters, the safety material at the beginning was redundant, though I understand why it's necessary. And the sign-in process probably could have been more efficient (e.g., let folks fill out the forms at home). But these are minor issues.

Once we got out to the line it was extremely useful to have one-on-one coaching, access to match rifles, coats, slings, gloves and the rest of it. For someone new to highpower, just seeing how the equipment is used correctly in each position was tremendously informative. Then there was the practical knowledge gained by taking a turn in the pit pulling and marking targets. For anyone interesting in highpower or even just learning fundamentals of prone, sitting and standing shooting positions, a clinic like this is a huge bargain.

Thanks to the great folks at Nashua for the time and effort. I'm also planning on applying for membership. I've had a White Oak upper on order for a while, and I definitely plan on taking part in some local matches once it and a few other items get here.

The Nashua guys always have their s**t squared away. I wish we could draw a crowd like that up here.

That crazy noise you hear over the next couple of months is the money flying out of your pockets. Check with the club about the State Assoc. Team. I think they have team rifles. It might be worth it to get some of the other gear first if you want to shoot HP.

B

Glad to hear those that made it to our clinic had a good time!
It was a bit of a stressfull day for us coaches when we saw the turn out and knew we were going to have to go deeper than 4 relays.
Guess we need to add more than the existing 16 firing points for future expansion... I wish!

We have a number of people running matches this year and have a very busy, diverse schedule so we're hoping to have the best attendance records the club has ever seen if we can get people to come to the matches.

Thanks for the feedback / suggestions like the one above to have people sign up and have all the paperwork filled out ahead of time.
Suggestions like that are very helpfull. Feel free to post any other suggestions here or email them to me and I'll get them considered for implementation next year.

Anyone that wants to join NFGA that needs a sponsor drop me an email @ gsmith223 at comcast dot net and I'll help you out with all you need.
We will likely be adding friday night members only $5 practices to the schedule again this year soon.

George,

Congrats on a successful clinic. Hope it translates into attendance at matches. Good job as always.

B

Glad to hear those that made it to our clinic had a good time!
It was a bit of a stressfull day for us coaches when we saw the turn out and knew we were going to have to go deeper than 4 relays.
Guess we need to add more than the existing 16 firing points for future expansion... I wish!

We have a number of people running matches this year and have a very busy, diverse schedule so we're hoping to have the best attendance records the club has ever seen if we can get people to come to the matches.

Thanks for the feedback / suggestions like the one above to have people sign up and have all the paperwork filled out ahead of time.
Suggestions like that are very helpfull. Feel free to post any other suggestions here or email them to me and I'll get them considered for implementation next year.

Anyone that wants to join NFGA that needs a sponsor drop me an email @ gsmith223 at comcast dot net and I'll help you out with all you need.
We will likely be adding friday night members only $5 practices to the schedule again this year soon.

You all did a great job, which was particularly impressive given the turnout. That you guys volunteer your time and your equipment to bring new shooters into the sport is extremely generous and greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I agree with economist - Very well done job of presenting and introduction to what CMP matches are all about, including the less glamorous job of working the pits. I hope to do more of this type of shooting

My thanks to all staff the worked the club.

ok, well I missed the boat. If someone maybe had an interest in watching or participating in a clinic when would be the next one in the Mass/NH/Maine area?

just watching/checking it out? come to a match @ Reading Rifle. schedule's up @ ReadingHighpower.com

if you wanted to give it a go, i'll make the same offer i always make. I'll show ya positions and whatnot with the .22 upper (can practice all day for short money), and you can try the real deal at one of the league matches (very beginner friendly, and they'll allow coaching on the line for a new shooter).

I just spent 20 minutes looking for information about this clinic. I went to the NRA, CMP, "Shooting Sports USA", and google. There is nothing listed for a May 15 clinic in Scarborough. Where does one go to find out about these things?

Based on bpm990d's posting, I did find the Scarborough Club web site, which had a schedule and a link to info on this event:
http://www.scarfg.org/twiki/bin/view/
http://www.scarfg.org/rifle/Beginners_Match_May_15.pdf

I never would have found this unless I saw the posting from bpm990d. How are newbies supposed to find out about these things?

The match in Scarborough is not a formal "clinic" as nashua does it. It is more along the lines of take a new guy, give him some borrowed equipment and have him shoot a match with some coaching. As Brian said, contact D. Bluin to get the best information. He is listed as the contact person in the club info. you posted.

As to newbies finding out info about these things, that's the whole reason I started this thread. I guess I should have added links to all the matches, but I figured people were savvy enough to go to the Nashua, Scarborough, and Augusta match schedules stickied at the top of the page.

Pat, thanks for the suggestion. The clinic at Nashua was awesome.

Does anyone know if the 40 round "match" that we shot will count towards NRA initial ranking?

Does anyone know if the 40 round "match" that we shot will count towards NRA initial ranking?

Good question. I have been checking NFGA for results but only see the May 1 match results up there, maybe by week's end since there was such a large group?

Good question. I have been checking NFGA for results but only see the May 1 match results up there, maybe by week's end since there was such a large group?

40round? every clinic i've ever attended/helped out at was a 50round NMC (20 slow prone, 10 rapid prone, 10 rapid sitting, 10 slow offhand). not sure if it will count as AFAIK there isnt a 40round NMC through the NRA.

some clinics report scores (and NFGA reports scores faster than any club i've ever shot at, George keeps right up on that stuff). either way the clinic gives you the "Participation in marksmanship activity" or however they word it, that qualifies you to buy M1's and whatnot from the CMP.

40round? every clinic i've ever attended/helped out at was a 50round NMC (20 slow prone, 10 rapid prone, 10 rapid sitting, 10 slow offhand). not sure if it will count as AFAIK there isnt a 40round NMC through the NRA.

some clinics report scores (and NFGA reports scores faster than any club i've ever shot at, George keeps right up on that stuff). either way the clinic gives you the "Participation in marksmanship activity" or however they word it, that qualifies you to buy M1's and whatnot from the CMP.

Yeah, it was 40. We shot some three round sighters prone and then went to 10 slow prone, 10 rapid prone, 10 rapid seated, 10 slow off hand.

It's not a big deal, but I got some pretty good numbers in the prone and seated stages and wouldn't mind them counting towards a classification.

In thinking it over, wasn't that a CMP-affiliated event? In which case, there would be no report to the NRA as they are seperate entities.

Mike,

This was a CMP clinic not an NRA approved match so the scores do not apply to NRA classifications.

We @ NFGA put in alot of effort to provide many opportunities in our schedule for people to work on improving thier NRA classifications.

The matches that are NRA approved are marked NRA approved on the schedule.

http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/nfga_2011_schedule.pdf

I run the NRA approved 80's
Dave L. runs the NRA approved Mid Range Prone matches.

Luke U. Runs the NRA approved NH High Power Rifle league matches.
All NRA approved leagues report scores at the end of the season when the league is done.

Scores for the other matches listed above go into the NRA within 1 week of the match.
We strive to get the scores reported onto the website within a day or two of the match.
Those that have run matches kniw this is a fun task done for others.... :)

Steve H. is the one that will be compiling all the scores for the clinic and posting them on the NFGA 2011 results web page. I saw him since the clinic and he was stressing because many of the score cards were incomplete or not filled out corectly so he is having a hard time trying to pull the scores together.

Students score was not the primary goal of that clinic.
We all like to shoot good scores but our priorities for the clinic students were;
Safety
Basic Learning of positions and shooting in a match
Enjoy themselves so they want to become SR shooters that enter competitions.

All of us that coached a point on the line had our hands pretty full helping the shooters with all they needed so we did not do as good a job as could have been done helping the student that was doing the scoring do that role properly at the same time.

Hopefully you and others that took the clinic plan on coming back to shoot in more events. i would suggest the league matches 1st because they are only shot at 200/300 yards and coaching is allowed. After one has a couple of those under thier belt i would recomend the CMP matches. Coaching is allowed in those and they are shot at 200, 300 and 600 yards.

Only then would I recomend shooting in NRA approvred matches.
Coaching is not allowed in NRA approved matches.

NFGA club members are welcome to use NFGA rifles and gear in NFGA matches.

Mike/All,
Feel free to post any other questions, concerns or suggestions and I'll do the best i can to properly respond.

George

Last edited:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the complements!

With the turnout numbers we had and only 16 points to fire on we decided to cut the firing down to 40 shots to keep the relays moving to get done at a reasonable hour. Otherwise it would have been 50 shots.

When I heard how mant Steve allowed to sign up I was scranbling last minute to get Highpower shooters from other clubs to come help us man a firing point. i have worked other clubs clinics many times in the past so I didn't mind asking for help too badly.... :)

I would have been begging the R&R guys to help too but I knew you guys were committed to the EMRL so I never mentioned anything to you guys. You guys have some of the best current shooters I personally know so i would have loved to have you guys there if i thought you were available.

Is R&R running any clinics this year?

Back
Top Bottom