HIRED GUN SEMINAR - USPSA Clinic

The USPSA Northeast Section is conducting a seminar that will be taught by some of the best shooters in our area. The seminar will focus on stage analysis and the thought process that goes into determining your most effective course of fire.

DATE: Saturday, April 14, 2007
TIME: 9:00
FEE: There is no fee, but there is a required $30 deposit that will be returned to attendees who appear on Saturday morning.
LIMIT: There will be 3 groups of 10 shooters.
REGISTRATION: contact Dan Hurley at [email protected], first come first served.
USPSA membership required.

There will be 3 fairly complex stages that will include moving targets, activating steel targets, and props that must be picked-up and delivered during the course of fire. These stages will allow the instructors to explain their methods of evaluating targets while incorporating the stage requirements, and subsequently, determining their best shooting locations and the most efficient order of engagement. With a maximum of 10 shooters in each group, there should be ample time for the squad to discuss the results of various strategies and to take another run using what they’ve discussed. Attendees will gain another level of appreciation with respect to time, points, and the effects on hit-factor.

The seminar is geared toward stage analysis and is not intended to address basics such as grip, stance, trigger squeeze, re-loads, etc. This format may be modified during the day as determined by the instructor and the group, particularly with respect to the “Revolver” division.

There will be three USPSA divisions, “Open,” “Limited,” and “Revolver,” although the Limited group is currently full (pending receipt of deposits). If space is available, applicants, may “cross-register;” e.g. – a Limited shooter may apply for the Open group with the understanding that the group will be focused on using “dot guns” with 28-round magazines, but registration preference will be given to those using the appropriate tool.

THE INSTRUCTORS – We can’t say enough about these guys for giving their time to this effort:

OPEN Division: MATT JOE , USPSA Master Class shooter, 2nd Open 2006 VT AWARE Invitational, 4th Open 2006 Area 7 3-Gun Championship, 6th Open 2006 Area 7 Championship, 1st Open 2005 VT AWARE Invitational

LIMITED Division: SCOTT BOTELHO, USPSA Master Class shooter, 4th Tactical 2006 USPSA Area 7 3-Gun Championship, 5th Limited 2006 VT AWARE Invitational, 3rd Limited 2005 VT AWARE Invitational

REVOLVER Division: DAVE PARKER, USPSA Grand Master Class shooter, 1st Revolver 2006 VT AWARE Invitational

REVOLVER Division: JOHN SARDINA, USPSA Master Class shooter, 2006 USPSA Area 7 Revolver Champion, 2nd Revolver 2006 VT AWARE Invitational

Sounds really really good! I just wish the Limited slots weren't full. :(

Respectfully,

jkelly

What - you don't own a revolver? That's what I'm bringing (assuming the belt and holster come in time).---Scrivener
Yes, I've have a couple, but I wouldn't be comfortable going through that class with them.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I believe the class on revolver will be geared more to newer revo shooters.(or so I was told) Jump on in.

I think what Gary says is pretty correct, not so much beginning shooters but
more beginning REVO shooters.
A healthy dose of experience with firearms and firearm safety should be
a prerequisite, along with an understanding of what USPSA is.

At the minimum the attendee should have a good competition holster and at
least 6 moon clip/speed loader holders. (probably 8 for a big match)
The kydex type holsters are fine and probably good enough for 90% of the
starts in a USPSA match.

And here's a test....put your belt and holster on with an empty gun,
fill the ammo holders with dummy ammo,
now run thru the carpeted area of your house when no one's around and
see if anything falls off/out [smile]

If your kicking ammo all over the place you might want to look at fixing that !

So as RGS said, Jump on in ! [grin]

Boy I haven’t been ”rushed” like this since the time at the airport when I was coming back from Jump school and made the mistake of asking two guys with shaved heads and wearing sheets, for directions. :)

Okay, when I get home I’ll check to see if I’ve committed to anything else that day, and if not I’ll see if Mr. Hurley still has openings. Hell I might even load some ammo and see if the round part still spins. It’s the pointy end toward the target, right?

Thanks for your input, all!

Respectfully,

jkelly

Hell I might even load some ammo and see if the round part still spins. It’s the pointy end toward the target, right?

The LONG "pointy end," yes. Not to be confused with the pointy end known as the hammer spur. [wink]

Not to be confused with the pointy end known as the hammer spur.---Scrivener
Ahhh, that explains my hearing loss. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

The LONG "pointy end," yes. Not to be confused with the pointy end known as the hammer spur. [wink]

What's a hammer spur?????????

GAMEGUNS010.jpg

It's that thing that helps add mass to the hammer so you can ignite cartridges with primers other than federals seated .003 below flush.[laugh]

It's that thing that helps add mass to the hammer so you can ignite cartridges with primers other than federals seated .003 below flush.[laugh]

actually less mass helps ignite primers, my 625 would not ignite federal primers at 100% with the hammer spur, I had the spur removed and now its 100%

What's a hammer spur?????????

GAMEGUNS010.jpg

Its that pointy thing that you cut off the back of the hammer. [laugh]

For those who are looking to get an INTRODUCTION to USPSA/IPSC shooting, we are holding one at the Hopkinton Sportmens club in March. This course will introduce shooters to the sport in a classroom/range environment. All you need is a ceterfire handgun of 9mm or larger, a holster to securely hold it, and couple of magazines or speedloaders.
the course is $75 for two full days (sat/sun) with range work on both days and breakfast/lunch provided. Email me if you have basic questions about the course. E-mail [email protected] to sign up. [grin]

actually less mass helps ignite primers, my 625 would not ignite federal primers at 100% with the hammer spur, I had the spur removed and now its 100%

I'll bite - under what laws of physics does LESS mass, under the SAME force (spring), create MORE impact?

I wasn't invited,
Nobody likes me[crying]

Can someone take notes for me????

I'm a lousy A shooter who only wants to get better...................[wink]

I invited EVERYBODY, at least I did before the thread shot off into a parallel world of revolver design details.

We still got space in Open (and Revolver). You're more than welcome to join the fun. Just send me an e-mail.

I invited EVERYBODY, at least I did before the thread shot off into a parallel world of revolver design details.

We still got space in Open (and Revolver). You're more than welcome to join the fun. Just send me an e-mail.

I know you did, just bust'en[laugh2]

I especially like the "ultra-light" model with the invisible cylinder.

BUT, to try again to get back on track, and perhaps answer Glyn's question, there are currently 7 slots filled in the Open group:
Gary Barna, Alpo Kallio, Glyn Reinders, Mike Walsh, Jeremy Buck, David Bold, Pete Whithers

I really do think that this is a great opportunity to spend some quality time at the range while getting a chance to pick the brains (alleged) of high-level competitors.

Back
Top Bottom