HIRED GUN SEMINAR - USPSA Clinic

Dan,

It's really a great idea. I have not had a chance to shoot with Matt Joe and maybe some of his speed and accuracy will slop off and fall on me during the day!

I really do think that this is a great opportunity to spend some quality time at the range while getting a chance to pick the brains (alleged) of high-level competitors.[/QUOTE]

Dan, I have been watching Scott B. (and others) shoot at all of this winter's matches in an effort to pick up techniques. I can only pick up so much by watching though. It will be nice to be able to actually "walk through" stages with him. Watching, discussing and then applying is a whole different ball game!

Having a more skilled person explain what you are doing wrong or explain what you can do "better" is HUGE!
-Matt...

I invited EVERYBODY, at least I did before the thread shot off into a parallel world of revolver design details.

We still got space in Open (and Revolver). You're more than welcome to join the fun. Just send me an e-mail.

Oh ,
I meant, invited to TEACH[rofl]

Oh ,
I meant, invited to TEACH[rofl]

I was planning to ask you to be a teacher, but my lawyer advised me that your corporal punishment policy would not be very well received by the students ... carrying guns ... and 28-round mags.

Well in anticipation of the Hired Gun Seminar I took a S&W 686 and 100 rounds to the range this morning to work on drawing, firing and reloading. Well at least I didn’t shoot anyone as only full diameter holes count, right?.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Well in anticipation of the Hired Gun Seminar I took a S&W 686 and 100 rounds to the range this morning to work on drawing, firing and reloading. Well at least I didn’t shoot anyone as only full diameter holes count, right?.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Where is your 625? Plug the holes so you don't leak, and I will see you at the seminar [wink]

Respectfully,

jkelly

Well, I'm glad to see that John has the fortitude to step out with a gun that he's not totally familiar with. Not all of us would do that. (And thank heavens for that "full-diameter" rule ... else the ERs would all be full.)

I think that we'll have a great day. I'm attaching a link to the stages to whet the appetite of attendees. They should be challenging and allow a good debate about the best plan of attack, with the added opportunity to actually test and prove the different plans.

http://members.aol.com/sharkbike/hiredgun.doc

I emailed Dan but I want all other NES members to know what he has put into this day. Putting on a clinic like this is a heck of a lot of work and Dan has done a great deal, if not all, of the work to make this worthwhile for all the attendees.

From emailing everyone, registering people, getting people to lead the different groups, planning stages, and building them he has put in many hours to make it a day that will be of great benefit to the shooters who are there.

Publically, thanks Dan for all the work. Now..............how about some sun and 60 degree temps? Can you take care of that for us too?

I also do not want to forget to thank the shooters who will be leading each group. They are giving their time and expertise to help others improve. Many thanks to all of you too. See you all Saturday!

Wow, those are awesome stages! What you have in there is really impressive. I see discussions about cutting out positions, the near or far shot choices, what to take after activing a mover, so much. That's all stuff that comes up in majors on almost every stage. A lot of work and thinking went into those. Good job.

Dan,

Do you have an idea of when this clinic will end on Saturday? I need to know because I'd like to take a pretty woman out for a birthday drink once we are done for the day and all the props are put away. [wink]

Guys, I appreciate the kind words very much, as does the army of others who work so hard to keep things happening in our area. Thankfully, we've got a great group that seriously enjoys any opportunity to get together with the excellent people who make up our local shooters.... well, that, and they like to go drinking afterward.

I join Glyn in thanking the guys who will be running these groups. They're giving their own time to helping others improve and have a good day. That's a pretty special commitment.

As far as the end-time for the day, that will be solely up to the participants. As I mentioned in an e-mail message, the official closing announcement is expected to be, "damn, I'm out of ammo." I don't believe that it will be very late.

Thanks to all the guys at harvard and all the guys that gave their time to teach us. I had a great time today, learned alot and threw alot of lead down range.

Thanks, Dan, for coming up with all those innovative stages and making sure everything was running smoothly all day long. Well done!

Also, much thanks to John and Dave for sharing some of their hard-earned wisdom with our squad. It was a great day all around!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Awesome day! My legs hurt. Scott- you left before I had a chance to say thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge today. I learned a bunch!

-Matt...

I have a huge, HUGE thanks to Dave Parker, John Sardina, Matt Joe, and Scott Botelho. I knew that these guys would do a good job, but I was completely overwhelmed by how well they worked with their groups and conveyed their experience and expertise. They did such a great job, that shooters were even willing to forego trigger time for extra opportunities to listen, watch, and learn.

I was also impressed by all the attendees who were so dedicated to improving their skills. The weather was a bit raw, but everyone was totally committed to the task at hand. Great work.

Folks got anywhere from 150 to 450 rounds downrange depending on their group and also on whether they decided to spend extra time on absorption. At least nobody was leaving without the opportunity for as much shooting time as they wanted.

So, where else can you get 3 Masters and a Grand Master to give up a day and share their hard-earned knowledge with their competitors? We're pretty lucky.

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for having me. But, you do not need an occasion for me to share my thoughts, I am always willing to help a shooter.
I am just glad the class was not today, I had a very bad day with the rain and cold. I could not get my hands to work to save my life.

And to Dan personally, I just want to say Thanks, Thanks for 3 great stages and all the hard work you and the Havard crew did.

John

Back
Top Bottom