How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

This happened to me as well, but it got clarified within the day. Although I bought my SR9c...only in MA[frown]

Talking to the guys at Dave's they had a couple people come in over the weekend inactive and I stopped by the PD and I was the 3rd person in that morning. They apparently fixed the whole batch this morning. I checked on MIRCS myself before I went to pick up my 226.

Week 11 still waiting for my class a renewal. I had. Class a for over ten years. I moved and renewed in a new town waiting 11 weeks

i just saw this on the Mass.Gov website: As of April 23, 2012 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between April 10th and April 18th.

I had my prints and interview done on April 11 and LO said he was sending my application out in the very next batch. So, is this notice from the Mass website a good way to gauge when my LTC may be coming in?

or is it sporadic like everythign else in this production of a long waiting process!

i just saw this on the Mass.Gov website: As of April 23, 2012 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between April 10th and April 18th.

I had my prints and interview done on April 11 and LO said he was sending my application out in the very next batch. So, is this notice from the Mass website a good way to gauge when my LTC may be coming in?

or is it sporadic like everythign else in this production of a long waiting process!

It may or may not be a good way to gauge. It all depends on your local popo and when they _really_ submit for review. If your LO said he's sending it out in the very next batch - who knows how long he's going to wait to accumulate other applications to go out in said batch?? Good luck, I hope you get it soon [grin]

It needs to go to the State Police and Mental Services first, after that comes back then it goes to the DCJIS. My LO told me 2-3weeks for the first step then 2 weeks for DCJIS. I'm in week 5 since interview myself right now, starting to twitch!

Applied 3/26 LO did application on computer
Photo - Prints taken same day
4 weeks and waiting. I was told 6-8 weeks, which seems to be an accurate estimation... Hopefully.
Back to dreaming about Smith & Wesson! [grin] So excited.

-Feeding Hills

Here's an example of how it can vary:

I got my LTC in 43 days. A friend of mine applied 6 days after me in the same town and she's at 57 days and still waiting.

Here's an example of how it can vary:

I got my LTC in 43 days. A friend of mine applied 6 days after me in the same town and she's at 57 days and still waiting.

I dropped mine off over 3 weeks ago and still haven't been called back for the "interview". I have called them 2 times and was told (1st call) that they will be calling back people that coming weekend and (2nd call)they are backed up with renewals as well as first time applicants but they will definitely be calling me soon. No prints done, no photo taken, no updates.

Still 9+ weeks waiting.

I called my LEO on Friday and the answering machine mentioned the state is backed up and they are just now approving licenses that were submitted between mid January/early February. On top of that It'll still take another 3 weeks to print permits--- I hope it's just a message that hasnt been updated in awhile.

I think the local PD are slowing down for the new Cori Reform act to take effect on May 4. This give the local PD power to view sealed records that previously was only allowed to be view by CJIS . CJIS then reported to the local PD that the applicant was qualified. Im still waiting on a Renewal 12 weeks later its my fourth renewal.

Got mine today in Foxboro. 9 weeks 5 days. However, he said I wouldn't get actual license in mail until 7 weeks. Restricted to Target and Hunting....but the Police Chief said if you have "sufficient log time time at the range" that he would consider removing the restriction. I thought that might not apply in my case because I was in the Marine reserves back in the 90's. However, I didn't want to press him on it and I'm somewhat content with this because I had heard Foxboro usually just issues LTC-B. In all honesty, I don't know that I would really be carrying around other than to the shooting range and back to house regardless of no restictions or restrictions. Just too many accidental slip-up possibilities if carrying around all the time if you ask me. I just glad a I didn't get the LTC-B and having to deal with the 10 round limitation stuff.

The interview process with the Foxboro Police Chief went very smooth. What I didn't expect was there would be two other people interviewing at the same time as me. He was very humorous and stressing safety storage, examples of a local guy who walked into Bass Pro Shop Bar with his gun (who was arrested), people who had guns removed because of domestic assult and DUI arrests with guns in the car (intesting he didn't say if you get a DUI we'll go get the guns at your house.....just at the time of arrest if you have them on you????). What I found interesting was the other two guys being interviewed with me openly stated they wanted a LTC for home protection. Because it's Massachusetts I was expecting the Police Chief to drill into them and discourage home protection use and reminding them of Mass laws.Surprisingly, the Foxboro Police Chief seemed pretty open minded and just wanted to make sure he's not licensing any nut cases.

Why was he arrested?

Bringing a gun into a place that serves alcohol. Similar to bringing a gun onto a school grounds, etc.

Someone doesn't know the law . . . and I'm surprised that it's Ed!!!

Hint: There is no such law in MA. The law in MA says that you may not be under the influence (not defined) while in possession of a firearm!

MA doesn't have a law that prohibits it, but if you're going to other states you'd better check because some state due ban firearms in bars.

What did you put for reasons for wanting an unrestricted license? I'm applying for a ALP Class A in Scituate in the next couple of weeks.

I honestly don't think it matters, unless your a buisness owner and carry large amounts of $,your gunna end up with a H&T restriction in scituate. Unfourtunatly that's their policy, sorry

Someone doesn't know the law . . . and I'm surprised that it's Ed!!!

Hint: There is no such law in MA. The law in MA says that you may not be under the influence (not defined) while in possession of a firearm!

I stand corrected. Now that you mention it I do recall "being under the influence" thrown around in my firearms safety course. But, that is the way the Police Chief worded it when telling story. No...I'm definitely not a lawyer so that's why I'm choosing to only bring my gun from home to range and back regardless if not restricted. There's seems too many accidental slip ups waiting to happen on where you can and can't bring it, not to mention keeping up with the latest gray area laws. After all, it is Massachusetts and the Police Chief said it's not like Texas (where I'm originally from) because it's more urbanized across the state here.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. Now that you mention it I do recall "being under the influence" thrown around in my firearms safety course. But, that is the way the Police Chief worded it when telling story. No...I'm definitely not a lawyer so that's why I'm choosing to only bring my gun from home to range and back regardless if not restricted. There's seems too many accidental slip ups waiting to happen on where you can and can't bring it, not to mention keeping up with the latest gray area laws. After all, it is Massachusetts and the Police Chief said it's not like Texas (where I'm originally from) because it's more urbanized across the state here.

You could consider taking my MA Gun Law Seminar (see my sig line) to further educate yourself on MA gun laws. It is NOT the material taught to get a permit, it is material I put together to keep people out of trouble.

Ed was one of my instructors in the Police Academy many years ago and I found him to be a very knowledgeable guy, so I'm glad that hopefully he understands the alcohol-guns issue. He also attended the same MA gun law refresher (for chiefs and licensing officers) that I took back ~2 years ago, so he has the source of good info on the topic.

Still 9+ weeks waiting.

I called my LEO on Friday and the answering machine mentioned the state is backed up and they are just now approving licenses that were submitted between mid January/early February. On top of that It'll still take another 3 weeks to print permits--- I hope it's just a message that hasnt been updated in awhile.

Boy i sure hope that ones not true, mine was submitted the end of march. I am on week 5 tomorrow and waiting... Guess i better re-think the Sergeants estimate of 6-8 weeks. Still running to the mailbox every day though! [popcorn] Does anyone happen to know if those who had gotten their prints/photo taken same day, and filled out on the computer same day seem to be getting them sooner? Besides the waiting time for an interview for those who have that painstaking process at their PD.

Worcester
Applied and interviewed on 3/30(I called in a favor and got in the week after the saftey course)
Check cashed 4/6
Now i wait. I'll update when i recieve it. Hopefully sooner than later.

I honestly don't think it matters, unless your a buisness owner and carry large amounts of $,your gunna end up with a H&T restriction in scituate. Unfourtunatly that's their policy, sorry

When I took my course at Mass Firearms School, in the packet they gave us, it listed Scituate as a "green" town. Now after reading their website requirements of 3 letters of reference and a personal letter explaining necessity for "all lawful purpose" I see that it is actually a "red" town, which is a little discouraging. I work in the security profession and two of my references are are LEOs, one a deputy chief and other patrolman (from other towns). Not trying to pull the i know cops card, but do you think that this would have any benefit to me in getting ALP? or would this look bad for me? Thanks for any info in advance.

When I took my course at Mass Firearms School, in the packet they gave us, it listed Scituate as a "green" town. Now after reading their website requirements of 3 letters of reference and a personal letter explaining necessity for "all lawful purpose" I see that it is actually a "red" town, which is a little discouraging. I work in the security profession and two of my references are are LEOs, one a deputy chief and other patrolman (from other towns). Not trying to pull the i know cops card, but do you think that this would have any benefit to me in getting ALP? or would this look bad for me? Thanks for any info in advance.

Just because a town requires letters doesn't necessarily mean its a "red" town. I got mine in Braintree (green town) which requires 5 reference letters and a person letter to the Chief.

Well I spoke too soon. I just got the call from my LEO saying its ready to be mailed out today :D

Took 46 Days. I guess Ill find out what the restrictions are when I get it in the mail.

Back
Top Bottom