How long

I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like a lot of the membership here reloads. Just wondering how long those of you that reload have been reloading. I have been reloading for three years. I started with 9mm and added 38 spcl, 45 auto and 223. I load for IDPA, GSSF and any other fun matches I can find to shoot.
Rusty

About a year for me. Started casting shortly thereafter. Wish I started a long time ago.

Started reloading in January. I load .45ACP, .38/.357 on a Lee Loadmaster and have grown to like it.

I also load .223 and .308 and use a Lee Breech Lock single stage press to get things going and then finish on the LM.

I wanted to give reloading a try before I went out and spent the $$$ on higher end machines. I have to say I am very happy with the LM so far!

I have loaded about 800 .45acp, 600 .38 and 500 .357 along with 200 .223 and 100 .308

Still a newbie at this and I'll read anything I can about the subject these days.

been loading for a bit over a month now, .40 and soon to be .223 and 9mm

Was a bit expensive to start up, but defiantly worth it. Also helped having good teachers [grin]

I got into IPSC in 1978 and soon found that the only way to feed my habit was reloading.

37 years. I'm just a beginner compared to guys like Big Gun and One Eyed Jack. I think they started reloading by the light of a whale oil lamp.

1962. I had come into possession of an 1886 Winchester in .33 WCF. No commercial ammunition was to be found, so to shoot it my father and I had to make our own cases (from .45-70), cast slugs, and reload the ammo. First press was a massive Herters turret.

I am going on 2 years here and would not have felt confident enough to do so if it was not for all the knowledge I have collected from others here on the board.

About 20 years ago I started, and then took a hiatus for quite a while. Been back into it
for a few years now. I bought a Dillon 550 (not the 'B' version, that came along a few
years later) and just read a lot. Loaded .45ACP, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .30-06, .38 Spl on it.
The rifle powder I used was 3031 so I hand measured my rifle loads as the Dillon is
not good when using stick powder. Sized, seated, and crimped with the Dillon though.
I forget what I started out with for pistol powders. Reloading would have been a lot
easier had this forum and the internet been around then. Thank God for Al Gore! [rofl2]

Last edited:
About 35 years. I bought a Colt Trooper (not a Mark III) that came with a bunch of reloading stuff - dies, brass, bullets, etc. - so I added a Rockchucker and got into reloading. I've still got the press and most of the brass, which has been reloaded so many times the nickel plating is just about worn off. Sold the gun about 30 years ago - maybe not the absolute dumbest thing I've ever done, but definitely a contender.

Started with a lee handloader 38 sp. in 1984.
Components were so easy to get and cheap then.
Now I wonder if reloading is worth it when we cant find components at any price?
Hope the shortage is temporary or these presses and dies will be sold for scrap.

I've only been reloading and casting for about a year now. Still a rookie. I load 9mm, .357, .40, .45, .45LC, .454, .460, .223, .243, .270, 30-30, 30-06, and 12 gauge. I bought most of my equipment used. I just started small, used the advice given here and a few other handloading forums, and took my time. I just moved, so all my equipment is still at my sisters, but it will get transferred to the new place as soon as I can figure out the logistics (space constraints).

Started with a lee handloader 38 sp. in 1984.
Components were so easy to get and cheap then.
Now I wonder if reloading is worth it when we cant find components at any price?
Hope the shortage is temporary or these presses and dies will be sold for scrap.

My cost justification is that I can get the load I want and don't need to settle for whatever box is on the shelf. At least some of the time anyway.

About 5 minutes. I have everything but a range to test everything. I am going to take everyones advice and only make 20 rounds or so to test out first.

FLSOS111.jpg

(photo borrowed)

I’ve been away from shooting and reloading for about twelve years. I’ve picked up the shooting again but I’m ever so slowly getting back into the reloading portion. I started reloading approximately thirty-five or forty years ago with an RCBS Rockchucker and then a Dillon Square Deal a few years later.

I use the Rockchucker for rifle ammo and the Square Deal for pistol. With no semi-auto rifle spewing out the rounds I wont need anything more than the Rockchucker for reloading rifle. With a bolt action 30-06, lever action 30-30 and a Thomson Center Super 14, in 30-30 it makes for slow and easy shooting and reloading. I guess if I eventually acquire a AR15 or something similar I’ll have to get a Dillon 550 to keep up to the extra shooting and reloading.

Warming weather ~ longer days ~ and stocked up with reloading components, it’s looking good for many extra trips to the range this year. [rockon]

Last edited:
I bought a set of dies and some bullets to make some hunting loads on a friend's press 2 or 3 years ago. After that I started buying up parts and supplies (I even talked him into a progressive and snagged his lee press). Two months ago I finally got my LTC in MA (moved here a year ago) and am now casting and loading for .44, 9mm, and .308.

It's frustrating at times. I love reloading for the revolver and bolt action. Still working on a doable load for the 9mm.

Basically I just follow a lot of these forums, read the manuals a lot, and ask lots of questions.

I also started casting about a year ago. I started for my 45 and am going to add 9mm this year. 9mm is my competition gun's and casting for that caliber will make practice and competing very cheap.
Rusty

Better part of 40 years. Started with a Lee Loader in 44 mag,used a hammer to size and prime cases( what the hell was I thinking prime cases with a hammer!!??). Have used single stage,Dillon 450,550 and now the 650. Cast for all that I shoot except for 223 and even made brass for a 40/65 Win I had built on a 1885 Browning SS.

ive been reloading since 1988. i still have and use my first and only press. its a dillon square deal. i also cast my own 45s.

I have been reloading for over 35 years!

Started off with 30-06 rounds, and blasted thousands of those from my Remington 742 semi-auto.

Since then, I have been reloading 9mm and 5.56. I also have some dies for 308, but have never owned a gun that uses that size. I am now also reloading 12 gauge shotshells in a MEC press.

My metallic stuff is loaded on a combo of Lee, RCBS, and Dillon equipment.

I have taught about five people to reload so far. I'm writing a syllabus for a reloading class I will be doing for a local weapon training company.

So, thousands of hours of reloading for me.

I started reloading only about two years ago. My first calibers were .38 special and .357 magnum. I've expanded a little to .44 magnum/special, 9mm, and .223.

1962. I had come into possession of an 1886 Winchester in .33 WCF. No commercial ammunition was to be found, so to shoot it my father and I had to make our own cases (from .45-70), cast slugs, and reload the ammo. First press was a massive Herters turret.

I have one of those but tucked it away when I got my 550. I still use their massive "O" press for rifle & swaging.

I started reloading around 1952 using the old Lyman nutcracker hand tool.
Most bullets back then had be home cast. Later, I started making small caliber jacketed bullets using fired 22 rimfire cases & pure lead for cores.
Still loading & enjoying it!
It was Herters and CCI that changed the ability to get components, That' when the big three decided to start selling to the public.

25 y with a 10 y hiatus....
Started loading 38/357 & 9mm on a Lyman single stage press, when I started again - Dillon 650 - now reload 45 S&W (BP), 45 C (BP and smokeless), 38 spl, 357 mag, 45 ACP, 223 Rem, 12 Ga (BP and smokeless), 45-70, soon 40 S&W & 308 Win (also set up for 9mm & 44 Mag but need a S&W 29!)

Back
Top Bottom