How many of you carry tactical knives while carrying your firearm?

Why are you answering officer's questions? Police are trained to investigate crimes, your answers can only be used one way.

I was simply asking if this would cause an average legal knife to become a dangerous weapon in the eyes of the law, not commenting on my tendency to answer, or not answer, an officer's questions.

A lot of people might feel that, since they have an LTC, telling an officer(or an internet forum for that matter) that they carry their knife for weapon retention, self defense, ect. wouldn't cause any problems legally. I'm just wondering if it would.

Last edited:
I always carry a CRKT - M21 - always. I try to keep it sharp enough to shave the hair off the back of your hand.

I picked it up at the Holbrook show for a great price.

I carried a Buck knife folding hunter for years before that and have gone through four of them in my life time, but like to clip on now that my holster is usually on my belt

I was simply asking if this would cause an average legal knife to become a dangerous weapon in the eyes of the law, not commenting on my tendency to answer, or not answer, an officer's questions.
Ok, in that case I would say that at the end of the day the Commonwealth still needs to prove the elements of a dangerous weapon. There is statutory per se language that exists, as well as some case law that requires a description of a dangerous weapon. My advice would be don't help to provide language. There is a case out there where someone was convicted because when asked about why they carried a knife - they said self defense. This was enough for a jury and a subsequent appellate court to find that the intent was enough to prove that the knife carried was "dangerous." Given that reference to a knife as a weapon - or even "tactical." There have been some successful challenges to carrying a knife at the trial court level using the 2A as the defense. Haven't seen one go to the appellate level yet.

Would the name of the knife itself be enough to prove intent? Say a knife was named "Onslaught" for instance.

Probably not. I think what you have to be aware of is that if an officer wants to jam you up they will look for and sometimes find a reason. You also cannot over think it. After all, a firearm is clearly a per-se dangerous weapon - yet many of us carry one every day. I would look at the per-se language in 269 10b, stick to the specific prohibitions and carry on about your business.

Interesting. Do you have any links to these cases?

Trial Court cases are not published - unless at the superior court. I actually litigated two at the Juvenile level, and I know personally of another at the Juvenile level. I know that the motion that I borrowed and modified has been passed on to others and used successfully. At the adult level I litigated it at Boston Municipal Court - won a dismissal on other grounds. All I can say is that it is possible.

I always have a gun on my person and a knife clipped to my pocket. The gun I have never had to use, but the knife I use several times every day. I don't like spring assist knives or autos. Any decent folding knife opens with a flick of the wrist once you get it broken in that is just as fast as a spring assist, but they won't open by mistake in your pocket and there are no springs to fail.

I would advise getting a quality folding knife that looks as far from tactical as possible. No tanto blades or multicam handles. Any decent knife will slice flesh no matter what color it is. When selecting a knife, picture a prosecutor displaying it to a jury and ask yourself if they will think it is scary or not.

I always have a pocket knife, mine is the CRKT M16 the smaller on i think its the 10z tanto one. Its light and ive gotten pretty good opening and closing it with one hand. I got this knife for a steal off of midway usa for like 19.99 it was on clearance if i remember correctly. Also ive lost this thing almost 5 times and have always found it.

I always have a knife, lighter, wallet, keys and cellphone when i leave the house. I do the pat check everytime i leave the house

This is the standard, but keep in mind you will have to educate any judge or ADA as to this standard. I have litigated this specific issue twice before.

See Post #8 [grin] Ive had LEO's have a hard time with a NON-assisted knife. I wouldn't expect the ADA or judge to be any better.

Last edited:
Ah, ok. I'm not very law savvy, so I wasn't aware that Trial Court cases are not published.

They tend not to be because they are not binding, and there is no written finding associated with the vast majority of trial cases. What you do get is written findings on certain types of motions where substantive rights are at stake, if I had a written finding that was beneficial to anyone on here I would be happy to pass it along. All I can say is the cases I have successfully challenged knife issues were done from the bench, and did not include written findings. Also, Juvenile cases are confidential, which makes it harder because most lay folks cannot go to the court and request the docket.

I always have a pocket knife, mine is the CRKT M16 the smaller on i think its the 10z tanto one. Its light and ive gotten pretty good opening and closing it with one hand. I got this knife for a steal off of midway usa for like 19.99 it was on clearance if i remember correctly. Also ive lost this thing almost 5 times and have always found it.

I always have a knife, lighter, wallet, keys and cellphone when i leave the house. I do the pat check everytime i leave the house

add one of these to your daily carry kit, it's a great addition.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-6...C17E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338665424&sr=8-1

Takes a beating, is bright as hell and really is quite small, not to mention, pretty cheap.

In 1968 my father bought me a 3 blade trapper from the local independent hardware store. I have had a knife in my pocket ever since. I have a drawer full of knives , from pretty little dress-up things , to a Woodmans Pal & Kabar.

Right now it's a Cold Steel brand Holdout II. A modern folding version of a skean dhu (sp?). I'm loving it now , but by mid summer I'll probably find a new favorite.

Benchmade Barrage w' plain edge
Spyderco Manix II w' plain edge (sprint run)

I love them both. High quality and Made in the USA.
I have one on me 24/7

Benchmade Barrage w' plain edge
Spyderco Manix II w' plain edge (sprint run)

I love them both. High quality and Made in the USA.
I have one on me 24/7

Hallelujah, another Benchmade guy finally. How do you like the Barrage? Seems kind of heavy and clunky to me. I've looked at it several times and never pulled the trigger.

I bought a Kershaw Asset recently and like it a lot. I also have a CRKT but not sure which model. There are a few more around here somewhere too.

Having a knife with me is great when I get the urge to get all stabby.

I actually just received my Emerson Mini-CQC-7BW-BTS yesterday.

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekMiniCQC7BW.php

I am extremely impressed with the quality as well as how fast I can have it open with the "wave shaped feature". I chose this for its blade size of 2.9" making it pretty much legal in MOST areas of the world (except of course in Boston, but thats not part of the real world).

It has officially become something I plan on carrying with me daily.

How many of you carry tactical folding knives?

Why do you carry them?

Spring assist or not? Why or Why not?

Suggestions?

I carry a knife, but I carry it because its useful. For example, I went to the office the other day, it was raining, and my umbrellas little metal thing that holds it shut got stuck. I pulled the knife and fixed it in a few seconds.
Its little things like that, that a knife is useful for.

I carry a nice black knife I bought at autozone. For some reason they had better stuff than a lot of sporting stores.

Last edited:
as a side note while looking through some other threads I came across this http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

I'm sure this has been discussed on here before but am I missing something? One and one half inches?

I carry a knife at all times. My choice is a Emerson, it opens when you take it out of your pocket with a little practice. I wanted one that was a heavy enough that if I were ever to have to use it for defense it would not break.

as a side note while looking through some other threads I came across this http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

The size limit covers the knives listed before the mention of said size limit. Meaning you can have a dagger etc. with a blade of less than 1 1/2 inches

"...,any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches,"

Last edited:
We should purchase copies of 'Eats, shoots and leaves' for anyone who writes MGL.

We should also purchase them pens without any ink.

The size limit covers the knives listed before the mention of said size limit. Meaning you can have a dagger etc. with a blade of less than 1 1/2 inches

"...,any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches,"

Gotcha, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom