• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

how many of you?

jmjkd

Instructor
I was wondering how many of you guys believe H2H combat to be part of your survival training? I understand avoidence is best but what if you are in it?

I'm not counting weapons either, just H2H?

Against whom? Zombies? Yeah, it would help. Foreign invaders? Maybe. The U.S Military, predator drones, tanks, and helicopters? I would stick with evasion tactics. ;)

I have only taken out 2 tanks and 1 fighter jet bare handed, but i would not suggest it. :)
No seriously, do you guys think training in some self defense would add to your survival kit?

BTW, my decision to train was reinforced when I started that thread about the 21-foot rule. Seems to me that relying solely on my handgun is leaving BIG gaps in my self-defense.

Besides, what are you going to do (for example) if you open your door to go outside and thugs are standing right by the door and rush you. They are already right next to you, odds are you won't be able to draw. A person should know what to do and how to get out of a hold, etc.

Just seems like common sense to me, no offense meant [thinking]

If you guys decide to train, pick the right place. I would suggest an MMA school near you.. You won’t get weapons, environmental, or multiple attack training but it will get you going in the right direction as far as really learning how to fight.
If you can’t find a place let me know.

BTW Lolorfnannie what did you decide to train

Krav Maga. Before anyone gets into a "Krav is over-hyped crap" discussion I know that it's a possibility that that might be so. I don't have years of experience to tell the difference.

However the instructor (Mr. P. or Chris) has had many years martial arts and explains the differences in approach with martial arts & Krav. It makes a lot of sense to me and I like what I see so far, it all looks very sensible. Krav is basically for 'stop the threat, get out.' That's all I want. That and other things I don't like about martial arts made this a good choice.

If nothing else, I consider general fitness a priority over H2H skills. If I am fit enough to outrun/evade/travel with a greater capacity than the average person, I consider myself a step ahead. I sear half my freinds would starve to death or collapse if they had to walk/run or ride a bike to get food or get the heck outta dodge.

lilo, krav is ok, the most important thing is that you like it and you are doing some real sparring, ground fighting included.

tictock, i see you make knives, they look good to, have you ever had any knife training?

also being in shape is better then not, but get some H2H training bro you can't out run every one ya know?

Krav Maga. Before anyone gets into a "Krav is over-hyped crap" discussion I know that it's a possibility that that might be so. I don't have years of experience to tell the difference.

However the instructor (Mr. P. or Chris) has had many years martial arts and explains the differences in approach with martial arts & Krav. It makes a lot of sense to me and I like what I see so far, it all looks very sensible. Krav is basically for 'stop the threat, get out.' That's all I want. That and other things I don't like about martial arts made this a good choice.

I took Krav Maga for a year and really liked it. Learned a number of things that will help me out in a H2H fight. Even learned a few moves for a in close and personal attack with the bad guy having an intruder. Not sure if I'd use them or not, but they were interesting to learn. Best part I thought was the spaing with other members of your level. You learned or you got beat.

What we do (so far) is do some shadow-boxing & other stuff to warm up, learn some new things/review, and break up with partners a lot and practice the technique he is showing us that day. The more advanced students do harder stuff with each other and the less advanced students do easier things. Today I learned how to deal with a forward-facing choke-hold, it was easier than I thought it would be. I'm sure it was pretty amusing to watch me (5'1") practice with these guys, trying to reach their necks to "choke" them [laugh] In real life that would be an utter failure for me of course [laugh]

There is a "black belt" Krav class where I'm sure they do more actual sparring, I didn't stay to observe but I will sometime. Even at my level it's light contact at least, you gotta expect to get punched/kicked somewhat. Which is fine with me for the class.

I don't really consider it part of survival training, but that depends on what you consider survivalism.

I consider it equivalent to, if not greater than, carrying in a day-to-day scenario. The reality is, you are more likely to have to/be able to use it than you are to rely on carrying while living a normal lifestyle.

I've been picking up bits and pieces here and there and look forward to attending a formal comprehensive training course.

What if SHTF?

I consider jmjkd a long time friend and mentor. Having trained with him in both survival and mma aspects, I truly believe that its necessary for one to have an education on how to do a little bit of everything. While I don't train today, I believe that I have the basic skills and tools if I were ever pressed into a situation. One thing to note, ground fighting is something that people have very to little no experience. Basic submissions and escapes are always a good thing to know. Ultimately, cardio, fitness and health are things that you should be doing anyway.

If the SHTF people would take from others. Especially if you live in a urban setting. If a scenario were to occur like Katrina and gun confiscation were to occur, what would you rely on?

Katrina in MA

It would revert back to the basics of HTH, stick fighting and knife fighting. Single and multiple attacks are possible and when you're the only one protecting your family's food and supplies, would you run and evade? Would you stand your ground? It all depends on the situation. Avoidance is always the best option...but sometimes sh!t happens

Having lived through the December Ice Storm, I saw how quickly things can break down. As much as National Guard came in, shelters were set up, and local LE was put to the test, one can't rely on the system all the time. If the power lasted longer than a month, I'm sure the system would deteriorate as people would start looking to fend for themselves and their families. I consider myself a civilian sheep dog. Living in a neighborhood with elderly/retired people I kept a look out during the Ice Storm. I manned the generator and offered power to neighbors who needed it and offered assistance when necessary. I would hope that in a true SHTF scenario, more people would come together.

Last edited:
I agree that it's important to be knowledgeable enough to be able to defend yourself, but that doesn't require a tenth degree blackbelt. Boxing also is not a particularly effective defense sport in real world situations unless you are lucky enough to catch someone good and clean, ending the situation abruptly. More than likely, good cardio and conditioning mixed with either a general sense of either wrestling or grappling techniques makes you a lot more capable. Knowing how to maintain balance while throwing another person off balance will usually sway things, even moves as simple as inside trips or throws are relatively easy to learn but invaluable.

JKD yoyo, what’s up brother?

You decided to chime in, good. That was very well put and was based on your personal experience, even better.

Zara, I agree you don’t need a black belt, you don’t need any belt. What you need is experience in all aspects of fighting. MMA including kickboxing, free style, Greco wrestling, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu along with weapons and multiple attack training. You should be in fairly good shape and know you limitations. Inother words you must test yourself.

JKD yoyo call me if you get the chance, K?

Hand to hand is absolutely necessary, weapons should only be one part of your survival training. if you ever fight someone with a weapon, they tend to use nothing but that weapon forgetting that they have other appendages, this is a horrific mistake in most cases (not to mention weapons arn't always the best choice). as far as which martial art, I wont get into the argument, but I suggest trying them all. don't get caught up in, this style is the best because blah blah blah... the more you have in your toolbox, the better, plus by learning different styles, it's less likely that you'll come up against something you have never seen before, and you'll know the weaknesses of a lot more arts.

I've been training in MMA for over ten years. I think it's a big help even if all you get out of it is being in better physical condition. It would be foolish to think you would be able to survive with just the use of a firearm.

I'm in for the gun defense method. At this point, I'm deadly point shooting with my handgun out to 40 feet, and very deadly out to 100 yards with my AR.

To all the aliens, drones, etc: Bring it on, bitches!

You guys are talking the same language just coming from opposite ends of the spectrum. I get this all the time. Gun guys don’t think they need H2H, and H2H guys don’t like guns. And every one stays away from the Knife crew.

Really you guys should train in all aspects of combat, because violence comes in all shapes and forms.
Add some wilderness training in there , stock up on a few supplies get a plan in place and you have a great start for what ever comes along.

You guys are talking the same language just coming from opposite ends of the spectrum. I get this all the time. Gun guys don’t think they need H2H, and H2H guys don’t like guns. And every one stays away from the Knife crew.

Really you guys should train in all aspects of combat, because violence comes in all shapes and forms.
Add some wilderness training in there , stock up on a few supplies get a plan in place and you have a great start for what ever comes along.

Well said!!!

If a scenario were to occur like Katrina and gun confiscation were to occur, what would you rely on?

Guns.

What? I reject the idea that I'm going to be stripped of all my firearms in an emergency situation.

Of course I understand and acknowledge the value of H-H skills, I simply find the question's premise, the idea that a door to door gun ban would work, to be absurd.

Hand to hand is absolutely necessary, weapons should only be one part of your survival training. if you ever fight someone with a weapon, they tend to use nothing but that weapon forgetting that they have other appendages, this is a horrific mistake in most cases (not to mention weapons arn't always the best choice). as far as which martial art, I wont get into the argument, but I suggest trying them all. don't get caught up in, this style is the best because blah blah blah... the more you have in your toolbox, the better, plus by learning different styles, it's less likely that you'll come up against something you have never seen before, and you'll know the weaknesses of a lot more arts.

I agree with this. As a 15 year student and a 10+ year instructor I will tell you there are no bad martial arts, just plenty of bad instructors.

If the SHTF people would take from others. Especially if you live in a urban setting. If a scenario were to occur like Katrina and gun confiscation were to occur, what would you rely on?

Yeah, I can't see many,if any members here on NES handing over their firearms in a real SHTF scenerio.[wink]

H2H is important for several aspects of survival.
Good physical condition & defensive tactics should go in the toolbox along with small engine repair,cooking skills,basic plumbing,carpentry,fishing/hunting,masonry etc.
The key is being well rounded.
Not focusing on one aspect of survival i.e.all guns,all supplies,all gadgets,all martial arts, but a balanced aproach including various trade& life skills,
including Grappeling, Judo,MMA & GunGOBANG

Yeah right....people would cringe...

Yeah, I can't see many,if any members here on NES handing over their firearms in a real SHTF scenerio.[wink]

Guns.

What? I reject the idea that I'm going to be stripped of all my firearms in an emergency situation.

Tell that to the folks in Katrina. More Katrina California Urban Training Exercises. IF they come knockin, I suspect people would cringe and let them in. Arm chair quarterbackin' is tough to do when it actually happens to you up close and personal. I suspect that SOME forum members are militarily trained to counter this and would most likely be granted professional courtesy. There's no way that people would be able to deal with a team of professionals as seen in this video. I know I had seen another one on You Tube that had occurred in the mid-west after a river flood. I can't recall the location but something tells me that it happened in Iowa.

Last edited:
Like lilorfnannie said, the gun isn't the solution to every problem. If you think it is and are willing to have that view challenged, sign up for SouthNarc's ECQC course at Pelham, NH in September. I took it last year, and it changed a lot of my priorities. My strength and conditioning is a huge weak point. I'm working on it now. Once I get to a point I'm happy with in S&C, I plan to look in to martial arts training.

Tell that to the folks in Katrina. More Katrina California Urban Training Exercises. IF they come knockin, I suspect people would cringe and let them in. Arm chair quarterbackin' is tough to do when it actually happens to you up close and personal. I suspect that SOME forum members are militarily trained to counter this and would most likely be granted professional courtesy. There's no way that people would be able to deal with a team of professionals as seen in this video. I know I had seen another one on You Tube that had occurred in the mid-west after a river flood. I can't recall the location but something tells me that it happened in Iowa.

So much for the "Oathtakers"... that was a little disturbing, especially the CLEO saying "No one will allowed to be armed" and then seeing the people in the big mansions being stripped of their weapons. I'm sure all the gang bangers and thugs turned their guns in too so the home owners shouldn't be worried about being there alone now. Crazy and an almost worst case scenario if SHTF

Back
Top Bottom