How to video on modifying M&P magazine followers

I have free state 12rd magazines for my 9c, and I have difficulty sometimes getting the 12th round in. I thought it was just me having difficulty getting the magazine into the firearm, after topping off the magazine. Sometimes it can take two or three tries before it seats.

Right now, I'm still only using 9rds, because I like the easier(faster) loading.
You should try the hack on one mag to see if it works for you.
I couldn't load 10rds at all.. It was like it was designed as a 9rd mag.

I had about 6 mags that I trimmed the follower down on based on the original video in this thread; they were all boringly reliable, and I didn't need a hydraulic press to load the 10th round in. I was also able to seat the mag on a closed slide with a firm insertion.

As far as reloading with the pistol pointed at the target, that's not how I train due to the increased difficulty of speed inserting a mag under pressure. I would say it was overly cautious to do that, but ya gotta do what you're comfortable with!

reloading with the muzzle over the berm is only an issue if you pull the trigger while reloading.

That is correct. If there is no malfunction, and your club has no rule about pointing a loaded firearm above the berm..

The first time I was surprised by my M&P9 self-loading, when the mag was inserted firmly,
the muzzle was pointed slightly upwards and to slightly to my left.
It might have been below the top of the backstop, but I'm not sure.

From now on, I'll be sure to keep the muzzle low, when inserting the mag.

Right now, I'm still only using 9rds, because I like the easier(faster) loading.
You should try the hack on one mag to see if it works for you.
I couldn't load 10rds at all.. It was like it was designed as a 9rd mag.
If I was more mechanically inclined, I might try trimming the follower or shortening the spring. I don't trust myself to do the job correctly just by watching a YouTube video.

I shortened up the follower legs on the mags for my 9c too. I still get a pretty tough fit of that 10th round and you definitely have to whack it on a closed slide for 10+1, but I've never had the slide close on me from open when inserting a 10 round loaded mag.
I might have to mess around with that a bit and see if I can get the same malfunction.
I don't think I even took the legs all the way off, just trimmed them some.

Also, try wacking it as if you were inserting a mag on an open slide, but without actually inserting a mag. Could it just be the shock of the wack itself that is jarring the slide closed, not actually anything to do with the mag? If that is the case you definitely would want to get it looked at, I would think.

Last edited:
I saw a couple of posts on that S&W forum that said, 'Sometimes the first round wasn't picked up and chambered'. (paraphrased)
That really makes me wonder about what's going on with the slam-load 'feature'.
If that failure to feed really happens, that makes a mag-slam-load pistol actually dangerous to use for self-defense.
After you point and CLICK, you will have to work the slide and fire some actual lead.

If I was more mechanically inclined, I might try trimming the follower or shortening the spring. I don't trust myself to do the job correctly just by watching a YouTube video.

Watch it 2 or 3 times. That's what I do. Installed my APEX trigger parts using a you-tube video.. (Also did learned how to install the SSA trigger into my M&P15 using a video).

I could not cut the (hard) spring with any of my heavy wire cutters. I used a Dermel tool with a cut-off wheel.
The plastic follower is pretty easy to cut with wire cutters or a sharp knife.
I'm going to go back and sand mine down a bit and see if I can get a little more room at the top.
I would like to be able to load 10+1 without slamming the mag base.

Slamming the mag base of a fully loaded and cocked pistol without a safety, just don't seem right to me..

My Kel-Tec P11 mag goes in easy for a 10+1

BUMP.

Because I'm reminded today how much I despise the design of these things. And, because it might be beneficial to newer M&P owners.

I've been seriously thinking of trying another brand of pistol, maybe a 1911 style. The more I think about using this M&P 9, in an actual life & death emergency, the more I like the idea of having the old Security Six in my hand. Because I know for sure it's going to work, no question.

I've been seriously thinking of trying another brand of pistol, maybe a 1911 style. The more I think about using this M&P 9, in an actual life & death emergency, the more I like the idea of having the old Security Six in my hand. Because I know for sure it's going to work, no question.

Ha, if you're reloading a mag in a life/death situation, you're already pretty well f'ed (note I mean actually reloading a mag, not putting a fresh mag in). This whole thread is about modifying the mags to more easily fit a full 10 rounds. Nothing about reliability. I've had my M&P 9c for many years and lots of rounds and have had zero reliability issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom