How would one respond to a physical altercation while carrying?

those LEOs you hate so much keep you safe enough to monetarily support whatever candidate you want. god forbid you had to go out there and confront the bad guys on your own. it might change your spending habits.

I don't hate LEOs, just LEOs that abuse their power, which I'm sure is a minority, but those are the cases that tend to get discussed here. That being said, the LP will still get my monthly check, whether the local town police protect me from bad guys or not.

So I am at work and all of a sudden I hear my neighbor yelling at someone so, obviously, I have to go outside and see what’s going on. My neighbor is yelling at some guy to pick up after his dog while this guys lady friend is holding the 2 dogs and her young son. The guy starts mouthing off and gets all pissy and starts threatening the guy but finally picks it up and starts walking up the street. Well, he gets about 100 feet up before my neighbor turns away and so he drops the dog crap right on my lawn…about 20 feet away from me. So…I yell at him to pick it up and his lady friend starts screaming at me and telling him to throw the sh&* at me and to F*&^ my day up and all this beautiful stuff, mind you all while holding her young son's hand. So he picks it up and takes a few steps toward me at which point I kindly point out that as I am standing on private property, if he continues to advance I will take it as a physical threat and respond accordingly, I also caution the young lady that if she doesn’t want her son spending time with child services after she and he are arrested for assault and possibly battery…he starts to get the point and backs off. Now my question is…what would you do if someone was about to get in a fight with you and you were carrying. I have no desire to pull a gun on him over some dog sh** but I am also not going to risk a tackle/knockdown and risk my gun coming loose…any of that bad stuff. What do you do?

Just read an article in Combat Handguns about this type of situation and will quote directly as to not pass off any of this as my own.

NOTE: Any accent's are my emphasis.

Life & Death Decisions
By Denton Smith
Pg. 16 "I hear people talk about alternatives, options and the law, and what they think they would do in a violent or potentially violent situation. But it's almost as if some people who carry (I've been guilty of this line of thinking to some degree), aren't quite as diligent to avoid a situation, or aren't quite as quick to remove themselves from it as they really shoud be as reponsibly armed citizens. They may not be cocky and arrogant about it, and may not be spoiling for a fight or an excuse to use deadly force. However, there should be a conscious effort to avoid any sort of nonchalant attitude. You must not become emboldened by carrying and allow the standard or level of what you will tolerate to get lower because you know that you can defend yourself and simply explain yourself to investigators and avoid any trouble."

Smith continues on pg 86

"Remember, that your primary purose is to regain control of the situation so that you can remove yourself from it."

After reading about what you did, I think you did a great job. And add that if anyone is in a similar situation, to avoid swearing and inflammatory language: speak clearly, calmly, and and do no escalate nor stoop to their level

get_off_my_lawn.jpg

WHY do dog owners get so worked up over dog poop?

I've had a woman walking a lab let it rip right in a flowerbed. My wife asked her, in a calm tone with friendly wording, if she could pick it up. The lady went spastic. I've seen this type of dog owner over reaction a number of times and just don't get it. It's right up there with people littering (including cigarette butts) and not having a f'ing clue why it's bad.

I've got a huge grayhound. It poops half a ton and I'd never consider leaving it in someone else's lawn.

In terms of what I'd do, I have my cell with me all the time for work, I'd probably have had it in my (non dominant) hand during the exchange, ready to call 911 if it escalated at all. I'm not sure I'd back down if the guy was on my property.

Taking the scenario a step further, if he charged me, I'd back up (but not turn my back on him). Not sure what I'd do if I thought he was going to actually contact me and not sure I'd want to post about it here.

I really hate it when people let their dogs crap on other people's property. Surely they have their own property on which the dog can crap. But they choose to "take the dog for a walk". Maybe it's time for a "name 'em and shame 'em" campaign. Document the offense. Identify the guilty. Post it all online on a website ... something like ... dontcraponmylawn.com. I'll bet it would really take off.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Find out where he lives, wait nine months and stuff seven pounds of shit (any species) in his mail box.

If he knew that a bullet to the head might be the price to pay for disrespecting someone or someone's property, and that the administrator of the bullet to the head would not have to fear a legal system (it most certainly is not a justice system) for doing so, he just might act a little different.

If he's a big enough a**hole, it wouldn't change his behavior in the slightest. And there's a lot of big a**holes in the world.

it's really hard to tell who knows how to fight.

Great point.

I'm not sure I'd back down if the guy was on my property.

That reminded me of another case posted on here, petty dispute that turned into murder.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/61532-Conviction-in-Rhode-Island?p=853737

+1. You use deadly force to protect your life, not your lawn.

+1 on what JD said. When carrying you need to take the high road and avoid confrontation.
Losing control of your weapon, or killing someone in a physical altercation over dog shit is not
worth it. Take a step back, think, and put your ego on the shelf.

This is why Open Carry rather than concealed makes for a better option especially at home ... hang it from your hip and you wont get no Lip

(insert Sarcastic Tone to this message)

Seems like most people missed the OP's original question. He wasnt asking if he did the correct thing, he was asking a "what if" scenero.

From what I read, seems like the OP was asking "what if" the dog owner attacked him. I would have to say you have to take into account alot of factors. If its a 16 year old skinny kid coming at you, and your a full grown man with a black belt, id say restrain him and call the police. Now if its the other hand where your an older gentleman and the dog owner is a larger man and he and his friend quickly surround you and start attacking you, you may be justified.

The bottom line is that your going to need to ask yourself in that moment the same thing the police, lawyers, and other parties family members are going to be asking you. Could you have avoid the situation? Was there any chance to call the police? Could you have removed yourself to a safe place? Etc Etc.

If the answer to the questions is yes, than you need to get away from the situation.

I was told something wise a while back and I tend to refer to it. In the moment where your wondering what to do, ask yourself if its worth going to jail for the rest of your life over. A couple of morons swearing on your lawn, probably not. A couple of armed morons kicking down your bedroom door at 2am....maybe a different answer.

Its all about threat level.

Back
Top Bottom