I think I am done with S&W

I can find a bunch of pics on google of glocks, rugers, springfields etc etc failing. This will happen when you produce millions of firearms. Some will be duds(not to say you should be ok with it).

Smith and Wesson is making good and sending me a new take down pin for the .380. But it is still discouraging when you have to send both of you primary carry guns in at the same time. And this will be the bodyguards third issue. The customer service has been swift and the issues have been corrected. But my faith is not there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Please refer to my post. The tech at S&W told me that they could not (or would not) repair the M&P Pro because they did not have a front sight that would fit the dovetail and REFUSED to purchase the appropriate part from a supplier such as Brownells (which I suggested). In plain English; I asked them to replace the front sight and they refused, so I fixed it myself. Screw S&W!

ive actually heard that the shield in 40 have been having that problem, I have a few buddies with the same issue. not so much with the 9mm.

Best of luck, hope you get a quick turn around time

Just out of curiosity, is that steel or nickel casing? It doesn't look like brass in the picture.

Reference number: LTK111xxxxxxxxX Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
Subject: M&P Shield 9mm
Dear Customer,
I have submitted a request under order #1707177 to have a new recoil assembly shipped out to you.
If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.
Sincerely,
Joe N.

Still waiting on my parts.
Just about a month now from the time of the above email.[frown]

Reference number: LTK111xxxxxxxxX Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
Subject: M&P Shield 9mm
Dear Customer,
I have submitted a request under order #1707177 to have a new recoil assembly shipped out to you.
If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.
Sincerely,
Joe N.

Still waiting on my parts.
Just about a month now from the time of the above email.[frown]

I did not think it would take so long. They have had mine for 2 1/2 weeks now and no word. As soon as I get it back I am trading it. I am replacing it with a S&W pro series 1911 with a 3 inch barrel.

So after looking online and reading stories about guns needing repair from most manufacturers. I have to retract my previous complaints. It seems that everyone is having the problems mostly due to huge demand and trying to meet it. Yesterday I had a chance to look at a Sig Sauer P238 and I was very disappointed in the trigger. The website says it should be around 5 lbs. This one was breaking at nearly 9. The quality is excellent on the p238 and I really like it but at $650 the trigger should be much better.

I got my recoil assembly today. Looks just like the one that seems to make my gun malfunction.
We will see when I get it out to the range.

So, not to beat a dead horse or anything with this post, but; none of you would recommend an M&P for a carry gun? I only ask because my LtC is about to become unrestricted and I am in the market for a carry gun. My brother carry an M&P .45 Full Size and swears by the M&P Line of handguns. I was going to for a M&P .45 Full Size too, but after reading this I am not so sure. I love USPs, but they are not cheap.

So, not to beat a dead horse or anything with this post, but; none of you would recommend an M&P for a carry gun? I only ask because my LtC is about to become unrestricted and I am in the market for a carry gun. My brother carry an M&P .45 Full Size and swears by the M&P Line of handguns. I was going to for a M&P .45 Full Size too, but after reading this I am not so sure. I love USPs, but they are not cheap.

My M&Ps work just fine. The problem is not the pistol which is quite reliable. The problem is S&W's Customer Service. In my case, the front sight fell off of my M&P Pro and they refused to fix it. I replaced the front sight with a part from Brownells, the biggest supplier of gunsmithing parts and equipment in the US. S&W could have replaced the front sight, but refused to do so, even after I suggested that the necessary front sight was available from Brownells. S&W needs to improve its CS or everybody will be carrying Glocks.

M&P's are great SD guns... whatever model you choose is as good as any. If you look around, you find every manufacturer with a messed up gun and a customer that can't be satisfied no matter how many hoops they jump over... It's that few unhappy customers that just love to rub it in and cry about their unfortunate situation every chance they get. I read very carefully when there is an issue and can see when it's legit and when there is a bit of exaggeration for effect.

With that said, this thread is littered with positive posts about S&W and the M&P's... you decide which stories carry the weight.... and for the record... I just counted.... I own 11 M&P's, which includes 2 Shields and 2 BG380's... if they had issues I wouldn't own em...

I can tell you I was not blowing anything out of proportion. I owned exclusively S&W handguns. Two of my primary carry guns had issues at the same time, one of them was the third time. Customer service in the end made it right, but It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when the two guns I relied on most were inoperable at the same time. So I moved away from the shield and bodyguard because of my experience. I still have a M&P .45 full size and it is a great pistol and just bought a S&W pro series 1911.

If I couldn't get Glocks I'd probably be carrying an M&P with a cleaned up trigger. (M&P without a trigger job, regardless of state of origin, are terrible or mediocre on a good day. )

Also, you can't really compare a striker fired gun to something like a USP. It's a whole different ballgame. You have to decide what "doctrine" you want to choose before actually choosing the pistol. (eg, DA/SA, DAO, SA only, spring assisted, striker fired DAO (Glocks, M&Ps, etc. )

-Mike

I love my S&W revolvers. I've got a 15-3 that shoots like a laser, and a Model 60 no dash that the only problem I've ever had is the orange insert falling out of (Not a big deal on a 30 year old gun).

I really wanted the Bodyguard - got crappy support from the S&W Store itself, then worse service when the firing pin broke.

My rule of thumb is that if the S&W has a firing pin on the hammer, where (IMHO) it is supposed to be - then it is probably from a time when they did good work. No pin - I won't buy.

I won't even get into my disgust at the "Classic" models having a lock.

With a life time warrenty what's the problem, at least they will cover the repair. Personally I have had zero issues with my a S&W guns. I'm not a fan of plastic guns eaither. The only reliable plastic gun I ever owned was my nylon 66

Please delete.

Last edited:
I know someone with a 9mm Shield. He fired two (relatively light) +P rounds through it and it split the lower in half (wasn't a KB). I know the Shield isn't +P rated but neither are a bunch of guns and they don't go around splitting in two after a couple of them.

I also did a safety delete on my girlfriend's Shield a while back. She was thinking about selling it and I contacted S&W to see how I could get a new safety part to install. They told me they don't do that and that it would be $100 just to take a look at the gun (after shipping). Plus whatever labor it needs from there... When I need a new part for my Glock I just buy it and install it...

I know I won't every be buying a S&W unless I decide to spring for a 500 or 460 Mag at some point. Seemed like the company doesn't know how to do business in the modern age, and I have hesitations about their quality.

I know someone with a 9mm Shield. He fired two (relatively light) +P rounds through it and it split the lower in half (wasn't a KB). I know the Shield isn't +P rated but neither are a bunch of guns and they don't go around splitting in two after a couple of them.

I also did a safety delete on my girlfriend's Shield a while back. She was thinking about selling it and I contacted S&W to see how I could get a new safety part to install. They told me they don't do that and that it would be $100 just to take a look at the gun (after shipping). Plus whatever labor it needs from there... When I need a new part for my Glock I just buy it and install it...

I know I won't every be buying a S&W unless I decide to spring for a 500 or 460 Mag at some point. Seemed like the company doesn't know how to do business in the modern age, and I have hesitations about their quality.

REALLY..... hahaha, what a joke post... got some more comedy to share with us... or should I say BS..

Besides what turbo38 posted, why would you have to install a new safety, in order to sell it???

About a week ago I called S&W to see if I can get a new slide assembly stop for my M&P9c which was produced in June of `09 a week. They said it will take 7-10 business days. I said that will be fine. So I just spoke with the S&W customer and told him that he accidentally sent me an old assembly, I asked him to send me a new on with the bump. He did a little search with the serial of my firearm and he said it was the right one. I said again I want the one with the bump. CS said there is no such thing as the one with the bump, later CS came back and said since your a resident of MA we cannot send you that product. CS said it must be a MA thing. I call BS on this whole thing. Has any had a similar experience with this. Are the assemblies really that different that it won't work in a MA compliant gun

Back
Top Bottom