I think I am done with S&W

I've had a few M&P's and haven't had any issues with any of them. My 9c is one of my favorite carry guns. That being said, I think Springfield makes the absolute best polymer frame pistols. I have stupidly sold/traded the two that I owned and have regretted it ever since. I have dealt with S&W's customer service on multiple occasions and they always have done right by me. They even sent me a brand new Wilson Combat rear sight for my 1911DK without any question when it broke. They didn't even ask me to send in the broken sight. That's a $100 part that they just put in the mail for me. I'm sure they will take care of your problems.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I've had a few M&P's and haven't had any issues with any of them. My 9c is one of my favorite carry guns. That being said, I think Springfield makes the absolute best polymer frame pistols. I have stupidly sold/traded the two that I owned and have regretted it ever since. I have dealt with S&W's customer service on multiple occasions and they always have done right by me. They even sent me a brand new Wilson Combat rear sight for my 1911DK without any question when it broke. They didn't even ask me to send in the broken sight. That's a $100 part that they just put in the mail for me. I'm sure they will take care of your problems.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Maybe, but honestly it's hard to beat a Glock. The only thing I hate about SA polymer handguns is the grip safety. The less safties the gun has the more I like it. I have an honest opinion here because I have the Ruger SR9c, Glock 17 and gen4 19, and the XDs 45ACP which I carry. The XDs is awesome but I really love my G19.

Also, the gun that I've really been obsessing over is the FNS 9 and FNX 9/45. FN makes an insanely reliable polymer framed handgun with proven reliability. Got to shoot one and it is just great.

Liking my S&W's, got 8 M&P's.... 2 shields... 1 BG380 and another on the way, zero problems. The few times I called CS, they were fine. Promptly took care of my needs. I followed the 40 threads on the S&W board, interesting stuff, looks to me, any problems were related to ammo not recommended. Not to mention reloaded ammo seemed to be in the mix as well...

last time i contact S&W it was in regards to a brand new 686+ with a wicked crooked looking barrel (gunsmith agreed it looked unhealthy).
after 2 weeks of emails to S&W i still could not get a shipping label.
after several days of trying to contact S&W via phone i finally got to somebody who literally told me it was perfectly normal for a gun to look VERY crooked.

personally i feel that if i am dropping upwards of $1k on a handgun, S&W should be willing to at least look at the damn thing and check it out. if they send it back and tell me it's fine, then so be it i will shoot and enjoy it all the same. i simply wanted them to look at their product and this was particularly difficult for me to achieve.

for this reason i dislike S&W so much that i am only purchasing a new S&W handgun every month instead of every 2 weeks. haha i am pathetic!

of note, i will be receiving the 686+ in a few days (per fedex) and i am confident that as a proud NES'er i will be making another thread at that time. haha.

Last edited:
last time i contact S&W it was in regards to a brand new 686+ with a wicked crooked looking barrel (gunsmith agreed it looked unhealthy).
after 2 weeks of emails to S&W i still could not get a shipping label.
after several days of trying to contact S&W via phone i finally got to somebody who literally told me it was perfectly normal for a gun to look VERY crooked.

personally i feel that if i am dropping upwards of $1k on a handgun, S&W should be willing to at least look at the damn thing and check it out. if they send it back and tell me it's fine, then so be it i will shoot and enjoy it all the same. i simply wanted them to look at their product and this was particularly difficult for me to achieve.

for this reason i dislike S&W so much that i am only purchasing a new S&W handgun every month instead of every 2 weeks. haha i am pathetic!

of note, i will be receiving the 686+ in a few days (per fedex) and i am confident that as a proud NES'er i will be making another thread at that time. haha.

This kind of begs the question: why did you buy a brand new revolver with a "wicked crooked looking barrel"?

Some S&W feel cheap and poorly made to me like the bodyguard and M&p's. On the other hand, I do have a 1911 E series and a 340pd that are a couple of my favorites. You have to be selective when dealing with S&W. JMO.

This kind of begs the question: why did you buy a brand new revolver with a "wicked crooked looking barrel"?

Haha good question. Now i learned to look closely before i take it home....hmm sounds familiar?

At least if my S&W 500 ( 8 3/8 barrel) ever breaks I'll still have a cool looking hammer.[grin]

i've got a 40c that's been great for 300rds now. trigger sucks, but it's MA. other than that, no complaints. way more accurate than i am as well. i'd buy another in a heartbeat if it was offered in 10mm...

I've never been a big fan of S&W's semi auto lines. Seemed to me they were always lacking compared to other manufacturers that had been building them for years. On the other hand, you cannot beat a S&W revolver. Best on the market in my mind and yes, I have shot many different revolvers other then S&W.
I agree. I would never buy a S&W semi. Only revolver. I do think they make some of the best revolvers out there.

The only S&W I buy is from the era when the company had some cache as a serious manufacturer and made products tbat reflected the same.

Posted from my car phone.

Some S&W feel cheap and poorly made to me like the bodyguard and M&p's. On the other hand, I do have a 1911 E series and a 340pd that are a couple of my favorites. You have to be selective when dealing with S&W. JMO.

340PD? That's pretty hilarious. Every person I know who has owned one of those has had it blow up at least once. My running tally at this point is like 4 people, and at least 2 of them made posts in the past on NES about it. The 340PD and the BG380 are not on S&Ws list of finer achievements, that's for shit sure.

-Mike

Every piece of brass I have fired had some bulging. I first noticed it with the nickle case and than went back and looked at all the other cases I have fired.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

In that case, you've got a problem. Either the chamber is oversized or the gun is firing out of battery.
PS these are the guesses of an amateur gunsmith with no professional training.

Metal injected moulding. It is a casting process used to keep costs low. If done right, it can make a fine part. However, parts that are high stress, like a barrel, should not be made using this process.

What's high stress about a .380? [laugh]

I've had a few issues with Smith and Wesson handguns. My Pro Series 1911 went back to the factory 4 times because it wouldn't stop failing to feed and eject properly. I think part of that is that 9mm 1911s tend to be finicky. I had a 317 which was extremely heavily used (former rental gun) with a worn cylinder rotation mechanism and extracting was becoming impossible, but they replaced it with a new cylinder and it was fine after that. I also had one of the early M&P 40 full size guns with the soft mag release.

On the other hand, my railed .45 SW1911 and all five of my M&Ps run flawlessly, as does my 520. Like any gun, as long as it tests to my satisfaction, I will be happy with it. Don't care who builds it, because every big manufacturer lets some bad ones into the wild.

I would never buy a smith poly pistol again. It's resale is ass......

That said, most of the ones I've had ran fine. Triggers suck.

I like their 45 eseries and their revolvers.......

I would never buy a smith poly pistol again. It's resale is ass......

That said, most of the ones I've had ran fine. Triggers suck.

I like their 45 eseries and their revolvers.......

Outside of MA, all polymer pistols have shit resale value. No $600 for a Gen 2 Glock.

Only S&W problems I have had is with the M&P 45 mags but S&W CS took care of it every time. They have sent me new mags twice and new springs and followers 3 times. M&P45 has been solid with 4800+ rds and only 1 FTF due to dented casing. Also enjoying my 9mm shield even though the grip is very slim. Customer service is very important and S&W I think has some of the best.

Outside of MA, all polymer pistols have shit resale value. No $600 for a Gen 2 Glock.

Part of resale value is also being able to sell a gun. If I lived in NH and I had a Glock for sale I would guarantee you that it would move much faster than an M&P would. Look on Gunbroker, too... 2nd Gen Glocks don't sit around there long and don't get reposted unless the seller puts a stupid price on it. On the other hand you'd have to fire sale an M&P to get someone to buy it. The M&P line is a respectable pistol once modded (I'd be carrying one if I couldn't carry a Glock) but it doesn't have the legacy/reputation that Glock does. Not so much in NH, but in a lot of other free states, polymer HKs also enjoy the same (relative) retention of value and sale ability.

Also, I deal with a few FFLs in NH. Occasionally they have used Glocks hanging around, and regardless of generation they move quickly even if the price is only $50 or $75 less than the same exact new version.

-Mike

What's high stress about a .380? [laugh]

Ask anyone who has ever owned a .380 Sigma about that... [laugh] Gun was basically disposable as designed, because it was a pot metal hunk of garbage. Finding one of those in the wild is difficult because most of them have self-destructed.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom