I thought Remington 870 was the definition of reliability?

I think its 590-A1 Time! If you get a jam just stick em!

100_0517.jpg

Agreed. I love my 590a1. Clatter and Splatter! I know this doesn't help your problem..sorry.

Update...

I called Rem this morning to check on the repair. (It has been 30 days) "The technician replaced the extension nut..." Wow, even after two lengthy letters with detailed descriptions of the problem and previous repair attempts, all they did was replace the damn nut. I expressed my disappointment to the poor Remington customer service woman, and I asked that the gun be replaced, and they suggested that they just refund me. So I agreed. I will be receiving a refund for the original purchase price in about 30 days....What an annoying ride I had to take with shit shit.

Ill most likely be looking into mossburge

My problem now:

I bought a number of accessories for the 870, shell carrier, light mount, replacement flower. And if I switch to a 590, Ill have to sell/rebuy all these things. So should I roll the dice again with another 870? Or quit the manufacturer all together?

Final Thought - You get what you pay for, if $299.99 for a HD Shotgun system from a reliable manufacturer sounds too good to be true, it just might be....

New Update - Through the process of trying to recieve a refund i was contacted by a local Remington rep who personally spoke with coperate and got them to give me a replacement shotgun (what i was hopeing for in the first place!) So the factory called me the next day and said they have a brand now 870 on the way, and that the old one is being scrapped. I think they are manufacturing it under the same serial number, because its comming to my house? Ill believe it all when i have the gun, but there might be a silver linning here.

Update to come...

Last edited:
There are dimples at the end of the stock tube, but I assume that the piston (and therefore the shells) never travel beyond that point and into the extension. I assume the extension just moves the spring backwards so that the stock portion of the tube can hold 6 shells.

If you add an extension later you need to drill or file the dimples down.

Curious as to why. Do shells make their way into the extension when fully loaded, thereby passing over the dimples where the mag extension and stock tube are connected? Why doesn't Remington say anything about this? I just received and installed a +2 extension and there were no directions with it. Just had to figure it out, which wasn't hard other than would not have thought I need to file the two dimples down. Really don't want to change the ability to go back to stock form.

Final Update! = After two more months!!!!! I finally got my replacement 870. Brand new. For 6 annoying weeks the factory was having shipping problems, the gun was placed on a shipping hold for some stupid reason and it took about 10 phone calls from me to get them to send the damn thing out. But I have my gun back, it has been a long an annoying 8 months of bullshit, and Im glad its over and in the end, Im happy. Just be careful with the HQ at Rem, these people have their heads up their asses, and you have to hold their hands through anything you need done. But Im done complaining for now.

Heres the finished product:
IMAG0445.jpg

Remington sucks now that they were bought out buy Cerbus/Freedom Group. I read on another forum of an officer whos Dept has recently purchased a fairly large amount of L/E 870's and there having problems. Prior to the buy out a Law Enforcment 870 was held to much higher quality control as well as using better quality parts. It sounds like even these guns are now being cheapafied buy Remington.

1), like atmay says, did you thoroughly clean and lubricate the gun first? If not, why not?

2) All companies make manufacturing errors. ALL OF THEM. Doubting the collective reliability of the Remington 870 with the results of a sample of one is just dumb.

While I agree on your second point... I don't understand why in the gun industry I have to maintenance my purchase as soon as I buy it??

Imagine having to take all the tires of your car and rotate them yourself, plus change the oil when you buy a new car before you drive it off the lot??

That just seems a little... off... to me.

While I agree on your second point... I don't understand why in the gun industry I have to maintenance my purchase as soon as I buy it??

Imagine having to take all the tires of your car and rotate them yourself, plus change the oil when you buy a new car before you drive it off the lot??

That just seems a little... off... to me.

I think your analogy doesn't really apply. Guns are manufactured then lubricated in a preservative kind of lubricant for transportation and storage to prevent rust. Naturally this preservative lubricant is not the best choice for running the gun, so you have to clean it and re-lubricate with something more suited to the task.

Tires are just rubber, inherently weather resistant, and require very little for packaging/storing for transportation to be installed on a car. How long is a new car going to sit on a lot before tires need to be rotated or the oil changed? How long can a gun sit on a shelf in the warehouse or in a shop before humidity and natural moisture can start attacking the metal?

Back
Top Bottom