If Only He Had A 9mm

Poor bastard but he lived there for decades and should have been prepared. Had a black bear in GF's yard in Westfield years ago and called animal control officer. By the time he arrived Yogi was gone but officer saw my Glock and said, "that's just going to piss them them off" [rofl]And It was a forty!

I guess he was originally from MA

Massachusetts native killed by grizzly bear: ‘To say we are broken is an understatement’
(paywall)

(just keep refreshing until you get the popup says "continue without subscribing" to the shitty site)

free site

What's the proper armament to have while hiking in grizzly territory? Bear spray and a Mossy 930, extended tube and rifled barrel loaded with sabot slugs and a buddy with the same gear?
a magnum 12 gauge with slugs is a good start.

but a lot of places you hike "prohibit" firearms. i guess you would need to use strong language against the griz.
in those cases, a .44 magnum handgun with hard cast bullets, a .454, any other "big iron".

Poor bastard but he lived there for decades and should have been prepared. Had a black bear in GF's yard in Westfield years ago and called animal control officer. By the time he arrived Yogi was gone but officer saw my Glock and said, "that's just going to piss them them off" [rofl]And It was a forty!
Fotay!

jeez, stick with the 9 mm!

:)

btw, not a good time of year to be encountering ANY bear. they just woke up from hibernation, and are grumpy AND hungry.
even in western MA, good to be carrying a handgun of some kind

Grizzlies are big tough and weigh over 600 pounds a good bear spray should do the trick if not nothing less then 44mag will help you out

a magnum 12 gauge with slugs is a good start.

but a lot of places you hike "prohibit" firearms. i guess you would need to use strong language against the griz.
in those cases, a .44 magnum handgun with hard cast bullets, a .454, any other "big iron".
Maybe carry a bear free zone sign?

Grizzlies are big tough and weigh over 600 pounds a good bear spray should do the trick if not nothing less then 44mag will help you out
That's the average for grizzlies in the lower 48. Up in Alaska, they have the Peninsula brown bear: (from Wikipedia)

Alaska Peninsula brown bears are among the largest types of brown bear in the world. They usually measure 8 ft (2.4 m) in length, usually have a shoulder height of about 4 to 4 1/2ft or 1.22 to 1.37 meters (137 cm), and a hindfoot length of 11 in (28 cm). One study found that the average weight for a coastal male was around 408 kg (899 lb), and 227 kilograms (500 pounds) for a female. On the other hand, an occasional huge male brown has been recorded which greatly exceeds ordinary size, with weights reported up to 680 kg (1,500 lb). A large coastal male of this size may stand up to 3 metres (9.8 ft) tall on its hind legs, and be up to 1.5 metres (4.9 ft) at the shoulder. The biggest individual on record was shot in 1948 near Cold Bay. Its weight was estimated at 725 to 771 kg (1,598 to 1,700 lb). This bear just came out of hibernation and carried little or no fat; that means the animal would have weighed around 839 kg (1,850 lb) at the end of the summer. Although variable from blonde to nearly black, grizzly bear fur is typically brown in color with white tips. A pronounced hump appears on their shoulders; the hump is a good way to distinguish a black bear from a grizzly bear, as black bears do not have this hump.

I hunt elk just a few miles from where this happend and yes, the hunters all carry bear spray and the guides all carry spray and handguns, or shotguns with slugs. The problem is the encounters are all at very close range where the hunter/hiker surprises the bear and a charge results. With an animal which can run faster than a horse at short distances, it is almost impossible to get your handgun out in time, aim at an animal which is running toward you at close to 35 MPH and score a successful hit (or hits) to put it down. Trying to shoot a running grizzly at close range is next to impossible. Carrying around the extra weight of an additional gun (handgun) where, as a hunter, every ounce is counted isn’t practical in those mountains of 6,500’ - 10,000’ where the air is thin and harder to breathe compared to the East Coast. The most practical alternative is the bear spray unfortunately.

This is practically in my backyard. Sad story. When in the mountains, especially now, you should always stay paired up and make plenty of noise. I don't even mountain bike here without bear spray. Even the spray is hard to deploy quickly. Statistically speaking though, attacks are rare. There are just a lot more people in the woods these days.

I moved here last June. In a matter of months I encountered four bear, one was a grizzly. None of them wanted anything to do with me. But I did not startle them neither.

As for guns, the 9mm has dropped more bear than any other in an attack. I will find the study. I'm not advocating it. It is probably the case because that is what most people carry. A 500 magnum with a 3 inch barrel won't do much if you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

We will be shed hunting this weekend. For that, I will be carrying my 45-70.

Back
Top Bottom