I'm becoming one of you...

Also, what you are suggesting is a real "career ender" for any LEO that just looks the other way in such a case. Doubt that you'll get any volunteers!

I've got some training rounds that would pass as real ammo as far as most newbies could tell. [wink]

Ken

Ken, remember even empty cases in MA require a permit! Unless the training rounds were totally plastic or wood, a DA could make it stick.

I took the opportunity to yell at Tana for delaying her LTC. She took the Significant Other class with Lynn way back when (was that April?), and STILL hasn't taken the first step towards getting her license.

I hear you TD my wife took that class and has not moved either.

You can tell them both that my heart is broken. And one more thing - the PD's usually won't take a certificate if it's older than 6 months so it'll be worthless.

And yes dearhearts, I'm still alive. [smile]

(edited to add....) I see they aren't the only ones....<sniff> now I'm really heart broken <sniff>

Last edited:
Ken, remember even empty cases in MA require a permit! Unless the training rounds were totally plastic or wood, a DA could make it stick.

Wait, are you saying you need an LTC or FID to possess spent cartridges? I have a few I saved from Manchester Firing Line when I rented a gun there. So I'm breaking the law? What's the penalty?

What's the penalty?

Life in Massachusetts. [thinking]
fce32f95.gif

You can tell them both that my heart is broken. And one more thing - the PD's usually won't take a certificate if it's older than 6 months so it'll be worthless.

And yes dearhearts, I'm still alive. [smile]

(edited to add....) I see they aren't the only ones....<sniff> now I'm really heart broken <sniff>

Lynne, you're not the only one. I worked hard to get that class together...and she doesn't even care. [sad]

I keep bugging her and bugging her... SO we'll see.

Wait, are you saying you need an LTC or FID to possess spent cartridges? I have a few I saved from Manchester Firing Line when I rented a gun there. So I'm breaking the law? What's the penalty?

Yup, you sure are. See the gun law forum for more details, but in a nutshell ALL ammunition components are considered the same as ammo, and you need an FID or an LTC to possess them... even that cool demilled 50BMG keychain you got at the hardware store.

I saw a piece of WWII "trench art" today at the Concord NH gun show. It was a flower vase made from a spent 105mm shell casing.

Reflecting on it, the absurdity hit me that this item, shaped like a bulbous vase REQUIRES a LTC or FID to POSSESS in MA, otherwise someone could be charged, prosecuted, and imprisoned for possession of an "ammo component" without a license!

True and totally insane!

It isn't just Mass that is sensitive about ammo or ammo components. One of our reserve Seabees volunteered for extra active duty right after the hit on the WTC & the Pentagon. He was immediately assigned to help with heightened perimeter security at a local base.

Unfortunately, the gate guards decided to do a full inspection of his vehicle the first night he drove on base to assume a 0000-0600 patrol. This was unfortuante for two reasons:

First was the fact that his vehicle was a fully loaded electrical contractor's van. They searched every bin.

Second; they found about 12 rounds of hunting ammo.

It took almost two hours for security to complete the search; and another 2 hours before they would release him to our Duty Officer.

He was delayed for having ammo in his vehicle, and the first thing we did when he got to the compound was give him a shotgun, 12 rds of ammo, and send him on perimeter patrol.

Last edited:
It isn't just Mass that is sensitive about ammo or ammo components. One of our reserve Seabees volunteered for extra active duty right after the hit on the WTC & the Pentagon. He was immediately assigned to help with heightened perimeter security at a local base.

Unfortunately, the gate guards decided to do a full inspection of his vehicle the first night he drove on base to assume a 0000-0600 patrol. This was unfortunate for two reasons:

First was the fact that his vehicle was a fully loaded electrical contractor's van. They searched every bin.

Second; they found about 12 rounds of hunting ammo.

It took almost two hours for security to complete the search; and another 2 hours before they would release him to our Duty Officer.

He was delayed for having ammo in his vehicle, and the first thing we did when he got to the compound was give him a shotgun, 12 rds of ammo, and send him on perimeter patrol.

[rofl2] Here's your sign!

And strangely enough, in FREE states like NH and VT, there's no law that says you have to lock your sock drawer OR your gun drawer.

Yup, we don't even have to store our socks or guns in a drawer, but we can if we want.

Truth be known, there's an M9 Beretta and a 1911A1 right now, ready to go in a drawer in the bedroom. One for each of us. (I'm the M9 wimp).

Yup, we don't even have to store our socks or guns in a drawer, but we can if we want.

Truth be known, there's an M9 Beretta and a 1911A1 right now, ready to go in a drawer in the bedroom. One for each of us. (I'm the M9 wimp).

And that is why we Ma**h***s never fear a Canadian invasion - no one would be stupid enough to try to blast their way through VT, NH or ME!

[grin]

Hey, an M1 carbine fits that description, but you want me to use the Garand!

Actually it's very marginal on deer. And that's being generous.

My brother has an M1 Carbine, and I told him I'd kick his butt all over the state if I caught him hunting with it.

Ross, the 7.62x39 is more than adequate. The 30 Carbine isn't.

Funny story to follow up on this post:

My boss stops in my office this afternoon, looking to borrow some change for the meter. I start digging through my change dish, and sitting there in the middle of my dimes and quarters is a nice, fat .45ACP round.

I have no idea how it go there.

My boss notices, and say, "What's that?"

So I pick it and examine it. "It appears to be a .45 ACP small arms ammunition cartridge." I look more closely. "Hmmm, it's clearly not commercial manufacture. Federal brass casing topped with a 230 grain copper jacketed... no, copper plated bullet." I heft the round in my hand. "5.4 gra... no, 5.5 grains of..." I sniff the round. "...Unique powder, yes definitely Unique, probably pressed on a Dillon XL 650 progressive reloading press. Why do you ask?"

He took his two quarters and walked away with a puzzled look on his face.

Being from Maine, we do not require any license to have ammunition, or parts thereof, in an automobile or otherwise. I am thinking that the "LTC" acronym means "license to carry"?

And, "FID" would be... "firearms identification"?

Being from Maine, we do not require any license to have ammunition, or parts thereof, in an automobile or otherwise. I am thinking that the "LTC" acronym means "license to carry"?

And, "FID" would be... "firearms identification"?

Hey, welcome aboard, Bob!

You are correct on both of your guesses as to the alphabet soup that we live under here in the People's Republik of Massachusetts. If you want to really [puke], surf on over to the Gun Laws forum and read up on what we have to deal with. It's nauseating.

So... shoot Rifleman yet?

Ross

Back
Top Bottom