I'm going to make them kill your Internet. (New Defense Distributed Video)

I appreciate Cody Wilson speaking in whatever venue will help share his message, but I won't click on any Tom Woods link. He is a glossy version of the worst of the alt-right.

What? Then I think you are extremely confused about who Tom Woods is.

WTF is the alt this and that anyway? Is Antifa alt-left? Who came up with this jargon out of seemingly nowhere?

I don't know what you mean by Tom Woods being alt right.

What? Then I think you are extremely confused about who Tom Woods is.

I believe the Confederate states had the right to secede, even though I'm adamantly opposed to slavery.

Tom Woods actively celebrates the cause of the South, and lionizes those who treated the war as an assertion of white supremacy.

I believe the Confederate states had the right to secede, even though I'm adamantly opposed to slavery.

Tom Woods actively celebrates the cause of the South, and lionizes those who treated the war as an assertion of white supremacy.

I don't recall him ever lionizing white supremacy. I think he is very much in line with your first statement in this quote. Pro liberty/ secession and anti slavery.

I don't recall him ever lionizing white supremacy.
He was a founding member of the League of the South, which is very much a white supremacist organization.

His association with the Ludwig von Mises Institution is like making Michael Moore a senior fellow at the Joe McCarthy Foundation -- his anti-immigration stance is the exact opposite of Mises.

He was a founding member of the League of the South, which is very much a white supremacist organization.

His association with the Ludwig von Mises Institution is like making Michael Moore a senior fellow at the Joe McCarthy Foundation -- his anti-immigration stance is the exact opposite of Mises.

League of the what? Never heard of it... I had to do some digging to figure out what that insignificant group is that Tom Woods somehow never thought to mention in the hundreds of hours of podcasts of his I've listened to. Where did this bug up your butt about Tom Woods come from anyway? From most of your other posts, I know you're smarter than this and can figure it out. This league of the south thing apparently comes from him attending a meeting in 1994 as the group was founding, when he was 21 and young and stupid. His early writings are much different than his more recent writings. Back then, he was cheer leading conservatives and Republicans. And, as a result are all rather "meh" and uninteresting... I made the mistake of picking up a couple of his older books and they were so boring with the Republican cheerleading that I couldn't come close to finishing. He's grown from that into libertarianism, where now he really shines. I think he's doing just great at Mises and is an excellent spokesperson for libertarians. His book Nullification is superb. It's pretty clear for quite a good many years now he's understood that the south had a right to secede, but slavery is also very very bad... I don't know how anyone could think his position is otherwise unless they're just looking for an excuse to speak ill of him and ignore the huge volume of writing and speaking he does all the time.

This thread seems as good as any to bump this conversation. From an email yesterday:

The CAD/CAM Update​

To the American Rifleman,

A decision in the Ninth Circuit has now made all CAD files, blueprints and manuals for small arms free to be legally downloaded at DEFCAD. Firearms CAD data is available on an unlimited basis and can be downloaded worldwide. CAM files remain restricted to DEFCAD account holders pending further litigation, but this is a tremendous milestone and victory in the history of open source firearms development.

We invite you to contribute and download your files today to validly and irrevocably commit them to the public domain.

Whats gonna happen if you download a file?
If they've gone after people for buying oil filters and keycards, I imagine they wouldn't be thrilled if you downloaded a file to print an auto sear.

If they've gone after people for buying oil filters and keycards, I imagine they wouldn't be thrilled if you downloaded a file to print an auto sear.
while I understand and respect your concern, are you equally scared to download machinists drawing? Code is speech, and "educational purposes" is a perfectly reasonable legal defense if you don't actually print it.

Will they care that I have no 3D printer, have no idea where to actually put an auto sear, etc? Probably not.

I know that most of us here are gun people, and I understand the concern about downloading plans for prohibited parts, and then possessing that banned data. But I would encourage everyone to take some comfort and amusement at the inevitable result of restricting data on the internet. Which is that there are now lots of people who have no interest in guns, but want to have a copy of these plans just because they were banned. Many of those people will also redistribute the data, either as an act of libertarian virtue, or as an act of teenage rebellion. But regardless of motivation, the result is the same.

A while ago, I explained to an elderly liberal the underlying story around 3D printers and the plans which allow them to make all kinds of cheap plastic parts. And after a while he said, "Oh, so they're telling a story about gun control, but they're really just trying to ban Tropic of Capricorn again?" Yeah, that.

The video was removed by YouTube.

Is it anywhere else?

Edit: Just realized this was a Necro Poast with an update at post # 43.

Back
Top Bottom