Import stamps on handguns.

George D

NES Member
I haven't really gotten involved in Milsurp handguns but I'd like to start learning about them. The TT-30 thread got me thinking about stamps. The only C&R handgun I have is a 1957 Star Super. Are some models or importers more apt to have larger stamps ? The Star has a small stamp on it, is this rare among handguns?

I have 2 CZ82 one the import stamping is really nice and on the bottom edge of the slide done with fine lettering. The 2nd is a rougher looking markings on the side of the slide.

some have 'em, some dont. Seems collectors prefer the ones without generally - i.e. higher value. the ammo coming out the business end doesnt seem to mind though.

This is this is the stamp on my Super, its pretty small compared to the massive stamps on my rifles.

001-20.jpg

looks typical. lots of WWII surplus (especially eastern Europe and Russia) came throgh CAI via Georgia, Vermont and are stamped to hell. Good luck finding a WWII Nagant 1895 revolever with no markings.

So why are some marked and others not? I'm guessing the unmarked ones were probably pre GCA-68?

-Mike

100_1318.jpg

CZ82 on side of slide. Lettering is not bad but a lousy spot
100_1319.jpg

CZ52 bottom of reciever
100_1322.jpg

CZ82 botton edge of slide. One of the better places

I have a polish tt33 that has really bad marks, looks like it was done in the dark free hand with a dull center punch. Was not on hand to take pics.

My SKS has terrible marks looks like the marker was suffering from the DTs and didnt have his proper glasses on. puke

Last edited:
Good luck finding a WWII Nagant 1895 revolever with no markings.

From what I have seen, Century Pays their employees bonuses on how big of an import stamp they can make on a Nagant revolver.

"1895 RUSSIA
7.62 X 38R
C.A.I. GEORGIA VT
MY NAME IS BILL
I LIKE LONG WALKS ON THE BEACH
AND BLACK AND WHITE MOVIES"

My CZ-82 has it on the bottom of the slide, if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't see it. I like that gun more and more every day.

I have 2 East German Makarovs, both from different importers. One has a big billboard marking on the right side of the slide (taking up all the space between the serrations and the muzzle), the other has a very small marking under the right grip. They are identical guns besides that and it kind of irks me that one company splatters their name/info all over the slide while the other makes it a point to be discreet.

Back
Top Bottom