Incase you have FTF with your 1911.

Beware any how to instructions that include a Dremel tool grinding stone! I have performed these mods on many extractors using a fine file ground to be a close fit to the extractor groove. I do, however, use a dremel with a polishing wheel to finish the job. Fitting an oversized firing pin stop is a good idea as the extractor is held securely in place for more positive extraction.

I didn't realize that grinding an extractor was ever necessary. I thought the only thing that really had to be done was to set the tension of the thing somehow. Usually the problems seem to arise if its too much or too little. (with too little usually being way worse). .

-Mike

I didn't realize that grinding an extractor was ever necessary. I thought the only thing that really had to be done was to set the tension of the thing somehow. Usually the problems seem to arise if its too much or too little. (with too little usually being way worse). .

-Mike

Grinding the extractor isn't necessary. You can use a file to smooth the machining in the groove and then polish it. This will ease the case rim into the groove.

PS Too much extractor tension can cause a failure to feed. i.e. a three point jam.

I have a used Springfield 1911 that would not feed reliably at all, the cartridge just jammed straight into the feed ramp, did not tip up.

I just went to town with a dremel stone, removing a fair amount of metal making the frame feed ramp have more of an angle starting lower and polished it after. It feeds fine now. I just got lucky, as usually this kind of ham fisted approach does not end well. But since this was a beater gun, I just went for it...

Submitted for your consideration

I've heard about extractor tensioning too, but this guy's grinding diagram shows up all over the place:

extractor.gif

It came from the section titled "The Extractor" in 1911 Reliability Secrets.

I'm still not hacking away at my 1911, especially without a problem to solve. But I thought you deserved to see a less bogus description of the hack.

Back
Top Bottom