$$ info on two .38 revolvers? One more added on 2/5.

SKS Ray

NES Member
I know someone who wants to sell two .38 revolvers but has no idea what they're worth.

First is a Charter Arms Undercover .38 special:

charterarms.jpg

I'd rate the condition as G/VG in and out. Looks like it'd clean up well with some polishing.

Second is an old Taurus .38 special with some rust splotches here and there and some rust in the barrel, but sharp lands and grooves. Looks like it was hardly fired but instead stored poorly in a damp enviorment:

taurus.jpg

Definitley an older model thats hardly been fired but just neglected. I'd rate it as fair but possibly with a great bore. I may clean it up and see what it looks like after. It has Taurus Brasil stamped on the frame, barrel and grips with INT. DIST. INC. MIAMI . FLA. stamped on the frame

I'm guessing the Charter Arms is valued at around $250 and I have no idea on the Taurus. Anyone have info on these?

Last edited:
Blue book values online.........charter arms pre 1998 100.00 post 1998 210.00 @ 90% condition

no info on the older tarus? me 100.00 tops.

I have no clue what either one is worth, but I do need an inexpensive wheel gun or two for my basic pistol / HFS training kit. Doesn't need to be pretty as students will be pawing it, dropping it, etc. Let me know what you end up asking for them.

Last edited:
One more added to the mix. This one is a S&W 38 SPL. in VG condition with holster:

100_1456.jpg

100_1455.jpg

It looks scuffed up in the pics but actually has a really nice finish. The grips are a little worn but other than that this one looks nice IMO.

I passed on the info to the owner of the other two and am now looking for an idea on value of this one.

Quick guess around $250. Clean up the gun, wax the finish and clean the grips and you're looking at a solid $300 if the barrel is any good.

the pics on the sw don't make it look very good. Is that a mod 36? (number is on the frame when you open the cylinder). Check for the dash number like MOD 36-1

The lower the - number the more it's worth generally. I'd guess it's in the $300-350 range.

Either a steel 60 or a nickel model 36. Model 60 are worth a little more for some reason I believe. I'd go $300 for a 36 and $325 for a 60. Check the timing and the lockup. Doesn't have a heavy turn ring so I doubt if it was fired much. Looking at the wear of the holster and the wear/grime on the grips, it looks like it spent alot of time in the holster stuffed in and out of some guy's pants.

Holster can go in the trash. Polish it up with some fitz and scrub the grips with murphy's oil soap and an old toothbrush, you're good to go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom