• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

interesting cartridge, bottleneck parabellum

This chambering has been around since the 1890s.

Considering it was largely replaced by 9mm, I can’t imagine it compares to .357sig in any way whatsoever.

ETA: according to what’s available for info on wikipedia, 357sig is anywhere from 25-50+% more powerful than 7.65x21

Just saw this cartridge today (from an NES WTS ad), and it was the first I remember seeing it. I wonder how it compares with the .357 Sig.

IIRC there were basically 2 cartridges with almost the same dimensions but different specs based off of the pressure and intended firearm use.
One for the Mauser one for the Tokarev.

IIRC there were basically 2 cartridges with almost the same dimensions but different specs based off of the pressure and intended firearm use.

This is fairly similar to 7.62x25, which was also replaced by a 9mm cartridge (9x18). The Tokarev round was generally lighter, faster, and had more energy than its German cousin.

ETA: both these rounds were developed based on the original Mauser chambering.

This chambering has been around since the 1890s.

Considering it was largely replaced by 9mm, I can’t imagine it compares to .357sig in any way whatsoever.

ETA: according to what’s available for info on wikipedia, 357sig is anywhere from 25-50+% more powerful than 7.65x21

I figured pressure would be the key thing in play here. I was wondering about the actual dimensions. I tried looking to see if there are any photo comparisons of the two, but came up empty. I wonder if the people who came up with the .357 Sig looked at that old cartridge at all.

On another note, it would be cool if some current company came out with a Tokarev chambering for a modern designed gun. Maybe Ruger could do their fake 5.7 gun in that cartridge. Aren't the Tokaravs pretty "available" (surplus?) for not a bad price?

I believe the early Luger pistols were chambered in the .30 Luger. It's an interesting firearm and ammo combination, but it's hardly a powerhouse (not that I will volunteer to be shot with one, of course). The Ruger P89 was available with a .30 Luger conversion, which would probably be more of a collector item than a one-stop man-killer combination. With ammo prices as they were, it wouldn't make much sense economically to shoot .30 Luger vs. 9x19mm. Maybe in today's market, it would be a tie.

Obviously, the 7.65x21mm is 4mm shorter than the Tokarev (7.62x25mm) and the .30 Mauser (7.63x25mm). You can use either of the latter brass interchangeably, but Tokarev loads are higher pressure than the .30 Mauser. You can use .30 Mauser ammo in your TT33 and CZ52, but not 7.62x25mm ammo in your C96, etc.

My issue with the .357 SIG, is that it has such a short neck and getting adequate grip on the bullet can be a problem. You also need to use bullets with a straight profile to take full advantage of the limited neck contact.

Yes, it's quite common to still find surplus Tokarev ammo for sale. Odds are it's berdan-primed (hence, not very useful to reloaders) and it will probably split upon firing. Many cut down .223 Remington brass for Tokarev ammo, but make sure you use the proper shell holder. I figure, why bother as boxer-primed brass and ammo is in fairly decent supply.

Below: Surplus 7.63x25mm, .32-20 LSWC sized for Tokarev, .30 Carbine FMJ in 7.62x25mm

Attachments

• 7.63x25.jpg
    7.63x25.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 6
  • tok100g.jpg
    tok100g.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Tok110gb.jpg
    Tok110gb.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 6
  • 1966770_02_ruger_p89x_9mm_30_luger_conver_640.jpg
    1966770_02_ruger_p89x_9mm_30_luger_conver_640.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I figured pressure would be the key thing in play here. I was wondering about the actual dimensions. I tried looking to see if there are any photo comparisons of the two, but came up empty. I wonder if the people who came up with the .357 Sig looked at that old cartridge at all.

On another note, it would be cool if some current company came out with a Tokarev chambering for a modern designed gun. Maybe Ruger could do their fake 5.7 gun in that cartridge. Aren't the Tokaravs pretty "available" (surplus?) for not a bad price?
I’ve heard of guys building single shots based off that or similar wildcats.
Have you heard of the 22TCM? That’s probably the closest factory cartridge right now. It’s a small bullet but pretty cool. They offer 1911s and Bolt actions.

I need :

to shoot around corners
more powder capacity, hence the .308 AI.

J/K

Attachments

• 6.5Special.jpg
    6.5Special.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 6.5 Whackout.jpg
    6.5 Whackout.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 11
  • .30calWildcats.jpg
    .30calWildcats.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 10
I believe the early Luger pistols were chambered in the .30 Luger. It's an interesting firearm and ammo combination, but it's hardly a powerhouse (not that I will volunteer to be shot with one, of course).

Swiss Army started issuing Lugers in 7.65 in 1901. “Pistole 1900” was the model designation, with updates in 1906 and 1929. It was the issue sidearm until the Sig 210 was adopted as “Pistole 49” in (wait for it) 1949. Most were built under license at Waffenfabrik Bern.

The P1900 replaced the 1889 revolver, which was chambered in an oddball 7.5mm. Switzerland liked its ammo weird.

IIRC the US bought a bunch to test around the same time, but never adopted it.

Years before the f*cking Germans went to it. LOL. (OK, to be fair, they were holding out for the 9mm variant, reasonably. Still f*cking Germans, though)

R

For what it's worth, TSUSA has the 7.63x25mm ammo in stock now.
Regarding .30 Luger, Ruger had a conversion for one of their earlier pistols...

Attachments

• 1966770_02_ruger_p89x_9mm_30_luger_conver_640.jpg
    1966770_02_ruger_p89x_9mm_30_luger_conver_640.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 6
This is fairly similar to 7.62x25, which was also replaced by a 9mm cartridge (9x18). The Tokarev round was generally lighter, faster, and had more energy than its German cousin.

ETA: both these rounds were developed based on the original Mauser chambering.
I believe the early Luger pistols were chambered in the .30 Luger. It's an interesting firearm and ammo combination, but it's hardly a powerhouse (not that I will volunteer to be shot with one, of course). The Ruger P89 was available with a .30 Luger conversion, which would probably be more of a collector item than a one-stop man-killer combination. With ammo prices as they were, it wouldn't make much sense economically to shoot .30 Luger vs. 9x19mm. Maybe in today's market, it would be a tie.

Obviously, the 7.65x21mm is 4mm shorter than the Tokarev (7.62x25mm) and the .30 Mauser (7.63x25mm). You can use either of the latter brass interchangeably, but Tokarev loads are higher pressure than the .30 Mauser. You can use .30 Mauser ammo in your TT33 and CZ52, but not 7.62x25mm ammo in your C96, etc.

My issue with the .357 SIG, is that it has such a short neck and getting adequate grip on the bullet can be a problem. You also need to use bullets with a straight profile to take full advantage of the limited neck contact.

Yes, it's quite common to still find surplus Tokarev ammo for sale. Odds are it's berdan-primed (hence, not very useful to reloaders) and it will probably split upon firing. Many cut down .223 Remington brass for Tokarev ammo, but make sure you use the proper shell holder. I figure, why bother as boxer-primed brass and ammo is in fairly decent supply.

Below: Surplus 7.63x25mm, .32-20 LSWC sized for Tokarev, .30 Carbine FMJ in 7.62x25mm

Tokarev (7.62x25mm) one of my favorite rounds to shoot, use to buy pennies per-round in 1200rd case (2) of these per wood crate. some of it is hot, probably machine gun ammo (i think its all just millitary).
100_3169.jpg

Case base very similar to 223/556, some have trimmed and necked down 223/556 brass to make cases. solves primer issue.

Last edited:
Yes, you can make them from .223 Remington, but make sure you use the proper s/h so you don't rip through the rim.
With Prvi ammo being available, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to convert .223 Remington, IMO.

Of course, today as I say this, I found 5 pieces of .223 Remington with splits in the neck, so what did I do?
Turned them into 7.62x25mm! (If I shot .300 BLK, I'd turn them into this, then 7.62x25mm...)
Ye hypocrite!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom