Is a Glock 34 more accurate than a G17?

Cuz

NES Member
Or does the longer sight radius just make it seem that way?

I'm having trouble locating a G34 and am considering going for a G17 which seems to be more readily available. Is there really a big difference between the two? The barrel is 3/4 of an inch longer and it's got an extra inch of sight radius. Other than that, I can equip a G17 with the extended mag release and slide release if I want them, and I can also install a lighter trigger which gives me an identical frame platform as is on a G34. Should I forget about the G34 and just get the G17?

This gun will be used mostly for local plate shoots and rarely to shoot Production division in some USPSA matches for fun. It will probably become a house gun if I ever get a new 1911 in 9mm to replace it. Other than that it will mostly just hang out in the safe just because I want to own a 9mm Glock.

Thanks,
-Cuz.

The Glock 34 is no more accurate than the Glock 17. Some people shoot the 34 better because of the longer sight radius. You would probably save at least 100 bucks by buying a 17 but if you are going to make the modifications to the 17, you will come close to breaking even anyway.

I would probably get a 34 because I do like the longer sight radius and there is already a decent trigger (for a Glock!) in the gun. I've had two 34's and they are a good gun for what you want to do with it. Look on gunbroker.com and also the USPSA classifieds, you should be able to find a used one.

The sights are the real problem with a stock Glock. Fortunately there are a bunch of aftermarket sights out there for them now.

This gun will be used mostly for local plate shoots and rarely to shoot Production division in some USPSA matches for fun.

Larry,
Since you are in MA, just get the refurb 17. The 34 would be nice for longer shots but those would be rare with plates or most Production USPSA shooting. Dawson sights, Tru-grip tape, and a home done trigger job. The trigger components are cheap to replace. If you want it for a house gun, reversing the competition mods is easy. You can borrow mine if you want to try one out.

The Glock 34 is no more accurate than the Glock 17.
The sights are the real problem with a stock Glock. Fortunately there are a bunch of aftermarket sights out there for them now.

From what I've researched, the sights need to be replaced no matter if you get a G34 or G17. From what I've seen on GunBroker, none of the G34's are MA Compliant.
-Cuz.

Larry,
Since you are in MA, just get the refurb 17. The 34 would be nice for longer shots but those would be rare with plates or most Production USPSA shooting. Dawson sights, Tru-grip tape, and a home done trigger job. The trigger components are cheap to replace. If you want it for a house gun, reversing the competition mods is easy. You can borrow mine if you want to try one out.

Steve,
That's the way I've been leaning. I'll probably wait one more week to see if a G34 turns up but then I will focus on the G17. Thanks for the offer on yours, but one nice thing about Glocks is if you've tried one, they are pretty much the same. I just feel like I need one in 9mm since I don't have one yet...

+1 GTOshoter

VERY little difference in the 17/34. Simple changes such as a 3 lb connector, extended mag release, and fiber optics will make a world of difference without breaking the bank. I have Dawson fiber optics, but there's quite a few others out there that are just as good and less expensive.

Cuz,

Get in touch with Mike from MLE I believe he has both. Maybe you can do a test fire [grin]

RGS,
I've been checking Mike's 34 out over the last few shoots. It's only my apparent inability to obtain a G34 that has me now considering a G17. In the grand scheme of things I think I'll be better off with a G17 anyway.

-Cuz

Back
Top Bottom