Is reloading 223 worth it?

Patriot

NES Member
I just finished loading up 537 rounds of .223 and my savings is a total of $110 over what
I would be able to buy PPV etc (~$200) for. When I think of the time invested in case prep
I have to question whether it is worth it to reload this caliber unless you have some
substantial money invested in case prep automation. The time to size, then trim, debur, and
clean, then load, is enormous. I would estimate I have at least eight hours invested in this
batch. My component cost could be reduced somewhat but not enough to make a big
difference (I think). I didn't figure in any cost for the brass but I have bought brass for
~ $45/500 so that would increase batch cost by a small amount as I estimated that I
could get six reloads out of it (doubtful). Military brass takes even longer as it needs to
be swaged (manually = more time).

I use a Dillon 550B to de-prime and size after cleaning. A Lyman manual trimmer to trim the
brass. An RCBS manual de-burring tool, another cleaning cycle, and then the 550B to load.
Manual brass prep sucks big time.

Here is my cost calculator for the 537 rounds:

223reloadcosts.jpg

Last edited:
I also invested in the crimp remover AND the case trimmer; tedious manual operations each.

AFTER lubing for the resize/deprime process, of course; yet another one-case-at-a-time triumph of tedium.

Now I have to do the chamfer inside and outside joy before I can FINALLY put my 550 to work.

Thank you for turning off the light at the end of the tunnel.....

I bought an RCBS power case trimmer ($180) that trims, chamfers and deburrs in one operation. This really speeds up the operation. I also picked up a Rock Chucker for the resizing and a Dillon swager to do the primer pockets. This stuff doesn't exactly come cheap but the results are worth it if you shoot a lot. I laid in a large supply of bullets, primers and powder and can produce a loaded round for about ten cents.

I just got a Dillon Rapid trimmer. Cuts clean and smooth, no burrs, so no need to champher... Then off to the press to load.

If I get a 5 stage press, I will trim at station 1, decap on 2, powder on 3, seat on 4, crimp on 5

I bought an RCBS power case trimmer ($180) that trims, chamfers and deburrs in one operation. This really speeds up the operation. I also picked up a Rock Chucker for the resizing and a Dillon swager to do the primer pockets. This stuff doesn't exactly come cheap but the results are worth it if you shoot a lot. I laid in a large supply of bullets, primers and powder and can produce a loaded round for about ten cents.

The cost of those components must be from a couple of years ago. I can't see how you
could load for ten cents a round at today's prices. You would have to almost halve the
prices I paid for those components (not quite) and you also would have to be factoring in
free brass. If that is what it is really costing you, I am very impressed.

I use RCBS X Dies so I only have to trim once. After the first trimming, it gets a lot easier.

I have the x-die also, but I have read that cutting .20 under max will burn out the throat quicker. Plus cutting the brass so short, then letting it stretch back out seems like a quick road to case failure.

I also wasn't impressed with the quality of the die, the decapping pin bent very easily, ran the same piece of brass through a Lee decapper and didn't have any issue

I laid in a large supply of bullets, primers and powder and can produce a loaded round for about ten cents.

Have any of you actually done a careful estimation of the cost per round when you add the amortized cost of all the reloading equipment to the mix? In other words, how many reloads does it take to pay for all the reloading equipment?

Have any of you actually done a careful estimation of the cost per round when you add the amortized cost of all the reloading equipment to the mix? In other words, how many reloads does it take to pay for all the reloading equipment?

No, there is a cost savings but you would have to figure in something like $600 and $150 for each additional caliber. I've loaded over 10K rounds so I guess you would have to factor in an additional ten to twenty centers per round to cover all the equipment I have.

Cost are one factor, but getting reliable reloads tuned to my needs and desires are the main reasons I reload.

That's very caliber-dependent. If you load only .223 and 9mm, it could take quite some time to "pay" for the equipment. If you load .300 WSM and .500 S&W Magnum, payback can be quick.

I paid for mine the first weekend I used it by loading 10mm, .500 Magnum and .450 Marlin.

It's an impossible effort. My guess is that it is a minuscule amount for each round. I have
loaded tens of thousands of rounds of different kinds of ammo so with the exception of the
reloading dies and caliber conversion kit for that particular round everything else is shared,
and sometimes even the caliber conversion kit is shared. I haven't been actively reloading
except for the last couple of years but have had the equipment and did it half-heartedly
for the last twenty years and I am in the tens of thousands of rounds loaded. I would
expect that anyone having done this actively for five years of more would be pushing six
figures for a reload number.

The press, miscellaneous equipment, etc. is all part and parcel of the cost per round and
while I am not about to try to figure it out my guess is that the cost per round is less that
a penny/round, including the dies and caliber conversion kit unless a particular caliber is
not a serious undertaking on your part. Even then, it is likely that the expense is not a
consideration as it is something you are enjoying and/or availability is not cheap (my .32
H&R Magnum is such a consideration but I do shoot a lot in that caliber so it was an easy
purchase for me). Your fully burdened cost can take on the space you are reloading in,
the heat, the light, the electricity, etc. None of this is a worthwhile effort since the per
round contribution is insignificant.

Your biggest 'expense' is your time.

For me it's not so much about saving money as it is being able to load ammo custom tailored for my rifles. I doubt there is a commerial load out there that could match my 223 or 308 loads. I don't even keep track of how much it costs me per round to make....I don't care. As long as my ammo is acheiving my goals I'm happy. So to answer your question, from my point of view yes it is worth it. If you just want plinking ammo I cannot really say.

No, there is a cost savings but you would have to figure in something like $600 and $150 for each additional caliber. I've loaded over 10K rounds so I guess you would have to factor in an additional ten to twenty centers per round to cover all the equipment I have.

Cost are one factor, but getting reliable reloads tuned to my needs and desires are the main reasons I reload.

The more you load = the more you save = the less your equipment cost per round will be.

You will probably shoot a lot more. For the same money, your out of pocket expenses
while not going down, will get you a lot more fun at the range! Most likely your wallet
won't see an appreciable change for the better, especially in the short term. Long term
you make out like a bandit, especially if you shoot any ammo that is a big ticket item at
the retail level like the .500 S&W or the .32 H&R Mag. Like EC mentioned, I paid for most
of my reloading equipment reloading 2K rounds of .32 H&R Mag. Retail cost of those are
$15/20 rounds. My reload cost is around $3/20 rounds. That's a savings of $12 per 20
rounds or $1200. My equipment is completely paid for just on one caliber alone. On the
537 rounds of .223 I just reloaded I saved ~ $110 dollars, almost enough to pay for the
dies and caliber conversion set I purchased (not quite). It's the time I am questioning
relative to the cost savings for this particular caliber. I'm thinking about jury rigging
something to ease the time crunch or invest in the Dillon case trimmer as I am going
to be shooting .223 and 30-06 more than I have in the recent past and can probably
justify the expense.

One other consideration is that if you ever go to sell your equipment it is likely that you
will get at least a 75% return, especially if you take care of it and buy good quality stuff.
So your equipment cost, while initially a big outlay, will cost you less and less with each
round loaded, and if you ever decide to give it up, will return you most of your money.
Not too shabby a deal.

Last edited:
I have the x-die also, but I have read that cutting .20 under max will burn out the throat quicker. Plus cutting the brass so short, then letting it stretch back out seems like a quick road to case failure.

That's what you get for following the instructions. [wink]

I cut mine back 0.012" under max (0.008" over min). They only grow by a couple of thousandths per firing because the X-die mandrel pushes them back.
The brass get retired after 5 or so loadings, so I'm not worried about growth. I haven't seen any evidence of throats burning out quicker with this ammo.

.17 cents a round is possible. H335= .06, CCI primer = .02 , Midway dogtown 55gr bullets on sale= .09

I agree w/ BP, Some ammo pays for reloading. 9.3x57 sticks out for me. Norma 286gr ammo= $47.95 per 20. I can reload 270gr speer for .52 each or 286gr hornady partitions for .65 each.
You need to look for deals on bullets. I bought 400 140 &150gr 7mm, 400 150gr .308, 200 165gr .308 moly, 500 87 & 100gr 6.5, and 200 150gr 8mm for under .09 a bullet. The 6.5 was 500 for $30.00. I buy hunting bullets mostly. Odd calibers like .311 are usually the cheapest. jp

I've done a little reloading with .223. Fortunately I have a decently supply of commercial loads so I don't need too much and I don't shoot the AR often.

Here's my take- if you have "time" then why not? You can't just consider the cost part of the equation... and you have to ignore the initial investment becuase that will likely be amoritized over many happy years of reloading.

Reloading .223 is much more labor intensive from my experience... and I actually spend a lot more time with a rifle cartridge than a pistol round- I chamber check EVERY round, I spend much more time check the case before any reloading happens, etc. I DO NOT want a problem with a .223 round. I can deal with a neck split on a .45ACP but head case separation on a .223 would NOT be fun. I still save my brass for the future though!

Reloading is like sex. It is an enjoyable pastime and you don't put a dollar value on it. I have always bought components in bulk, like $70.00/5K on primers, $50.00/8lb. on Accurate Data2200, around $100.00/5K Rem.55G FMG Rem. from Midway back when they paid the frt. so cost is not a concern.
I can reload 460 Weatherby mags. for around $0.50 per round using surplus Hodgdon H4831 that I bought before the gunlaws of 68, in 100lb. kegs for $60.00, now almost depleted.
Shooting home made cast bullets will cut your costs by a bunch. I cast from 45G 22's to 12Ga. Sabots, and enjoy every minute of it!

t I have read that cutting .20 under max will burn out the throat quicker. Plus cutting the brass so short, then letting it stretch back out seems like a quick road to case failure.

I would not worry about trimming it a little short. Common practice in hp. After a thousand rounds the throat have moved forward considerably no matter how you trimmed them. Also not sure that not trimming will keep the case from stretching. I think that has more to do with the type of chamber and headspace that was cut into the chamber initially as well as how you resize the brass that came out of the gun.

FWIW,

B

I load .223 for about 85$/1000 or less. I stocked up big on components and keep my eyes out for deals. I just picked up 4K pulled 55 gr FMJs for 73.50. Unfortunately I think the primer and powder deals are long gone.

The cost of those components must be from a couple of years ago. I can't see how you
could load for ten cents a round at today's prices. You would have to almost halve the
prices I paid for those components (not quite) and you also would have to be factoring in
free brass. If that is what it is really costing you, I am very impressed.

I did buy the components several years ago. 8 thousand 55gr bullets at $35/thousand and a case of eight pound kegs of WCC 844 at $49.95 per keg. Those were the good old days. Deals on powder may still be available; the powder I bought was military surplus.

I have been reloading for about 30 years and have loaded in excess of 500,000 rounds. I don't bother with the cost of the equipment as I know it will pay for itself many times over as quality machines tend to outlive their owners. The press I load .223 on (RL 450) was free, a bequest from a good friend.

Well if we take our base pay rate and add it to the cost of reloading we would all likely be loosing money. I know at $3x. an hour I would be hard pressed to see savings.
Thats not why I reload. I know the ammo, it is tailored to my rifles, and I can keep lots of components on hand.

For a while, I was thinking the same way. I was putting a ton of time into case prep, and it was getting on my nerves, and was very tedious. To solve this problem, I started doing the following.

This is just a for instance..
Monday - Deprime, inspect and put 100 rounds in the tumbler. 15 minutes
Tuesday - Lube, and resize 100 rounds, back in tumbler. 30 minutes
Wed - Trim, chamfer, and debur 100 rounds. 30 minutes
Thursday - Hand prime 100 rounds while sitting on the couch watching TV. who cares, I'm watching TV

When I'm done, I just throw the prepared and primed brass into a sealed bucket.

Now, when it comes time to actually load, all I have to do is dump powder, and seat the bullets. I found that when I do it this way, the most I am ever spending on prepping brass, is about a half hour. I do it like this in batches of 100-200 cases, so it keeps the time down, and doesn't seem like I'm wasting my time. A half hour a day is nothing at all, and it never ends up feeling like I am spending hours and hours sitting at the reloading bench. When it does come time to load the cases, they are all ready, and I can fly through them.

This way, just seems to break up the monotony of doing the annoying little tasks, like sitting at the bench for hours upon hours.

When enough regulations and taxes are imposed on ammunition, reloading will be the only way many will be able to go to the range and shoot more than a single mag of ammo.
I've always been able to reload every caliber I shoot for way less than I could buy ammo. Some calibers save you more than others, but having the capability alone to reload is worth more than anything to me.

Back
Top Bottom