Is this the wrong time to dive into this hobby?

Go full retard.

Search local clubs for bowling pin shoots or bullseye pistol, egg shoots or 3 position, outlaw or indoor plate matches.
Sign up for a free account here and search for more organized stuff like Steel Challenge, I.D.P.A. or U.S.P.S.A
Buy copious amounts of ammo, or reload it. You may have to do questionable things for primers.
Get at least 5 more magazines.

Seeing as you are in the ”Boston burbs” you need to be aware of the extra special AWB for Boston residents.

Boston AWB

Bob
To be clear, that only applies in Boston itself (e.g., Allston, Brighton, Dorchester, Charlestown, Mattapan, etc.) It doesn't affect Cambridge, Brookline, Medford, Somerville, Newton, Arlington, or any of the cities and towns that surround it. If OP is in the burbs, not a neighborhood, that's nothing to worry about.

The market for guns never goes down.

If you want to buy, buy now.

If you wait, you will be thinking "f*ck, I should have purchased that 2 years ago".

Look at all the C&R guns, 10 years ago and today.

There are a few things you should stay away from, a lot of revolvers and lever actions are at retarded highs, I wouldn't buy to collect now. For example, Ruger is not producing sh*t now. Will those prices go down in the near future? ... who the f*ck knows, but I can't imagine a Ruger Vaquero going for $1500 when just a year ago Ruger was selling a pair of SASS Vaqueros for $1500.

But who knows, maybe the market will stay retarded forever due to low supply.
Figures....for my first purchase I was looking at a GP100, Big Boy and a .357 turret press. I was thinking reloading would save a decent chunk of change, but seem like primers are the bottleneck in the ammo bizz right now. I already have about 2500 .358 projectiles. I did a max packed flat rate box from a caster a while ago to feed an Airforce Texan.
My plan was to pick one cartridge and learn how to load it well before moving on. Maybe get into casting for it as well.

Figures....for my first purchase I was looking at a GP100, Big Boy and a .357 turret press. I was thinking reloading would save a decent chunk of change, but seem like primers are the bottleneck in the ammo bizz right now. I already have about 2500 .358 projectiles. I did a max packed flat rate box from a caster a while ago to feed an Airforce Texan.
My plan was to pick one cartridge and learn how to load it well before moving on. Maybe get into casting for it as well.
They might be producing the GP100. I just know from talking with a few gunsmiths, that they stopped shipping several models of revolvers over a year ago.

For example, vaqueros, forget about it.

I think that you should get a good idea of the kind of shooting you want to do, and go from there. If the goal is self defense/home defense, your needs will be completely different from those you’d have if you want to do PRS, bowling pin, bullseye or skeet. Try not only as many guns, but also as many different kinds of shooting as you can, and then buy stuff with a purpose. For HD/self defense, I think you’re fine with what you already have.

Unless your hobbies include bird watching...
...I’ve been looking for ideas for new hobbies since I’ve been priced out of primers by TSUSSA. I think I might take you up on some bird watching!

OP, whatever you do, don’t buy a f***ing ruger. Complete and total garbage pieces of shit and I wouldn’t wipe the inside of my a**h*** with any of their warranties either.

Glock 20...target practice, concealed carry with a chest rig when you’re wearing a jacket/backpacking...kill a grizzly or a gay baby humpback whale for Jesus, just because. I dare you to find a more useful pistol.

Last edited:
I think if you want to own several newly built modern ARs in MA - you better get it done quick before it all is completely outlawed and we still can get new AR lowers in here. Other than stocking up some AR 10s and 15s lowers - no reason to hurry much. Unless they will also outlaw uppers and barrels at the federal or state level - but it is quite unlikely.

WTAF...you're the dude with a Karen who's worried about your neighbors pickle eating habits!

Now this thread?

20-days in, posting like a mofo.

You're a weird one @MetalSLugX.

Welcome, but you're a weird one.
Yeah guns aren't for the OP

He's definitely the kind of person who brags about carrying a revolver with an empty cylinder

The market for guns never goes down.

If you want to buy, buy now.

If you wait, you will be thinking "f*ck, I should have purchased that 2 years ago".

Look at all the C&R guns, 10 years ago and today.

There are a few things you should stay away from, a lot of revolvers and lever actions are at retarded highs, I wouldn't buy to collect now. For example, Ruger is not producing sh*t now. Will those prices go down in the near future? ... who the f*ck knows, but I can't imagine a Ruger Vaquero going for $1500 when just a year ago Ruger was selling a pair of SASS Vaqueros for $1500.

But who knows, maybe the market will stay retarded forever due to low supply.
Dude ain't that the truth 300 dollar 30-30 marlins all day now i see people sell them for 7-900

There's still money in arcade hardware? I would have figured that to have been dead after emulation picked up and people could build their own MAME cabinets with all the games, not just one. I did love me some Metal Slug back in the day....

As far as this hobby goes though: Buy now. No reason to hesitate, lest you wait too long and some unforeseen hammer drops on whatever you want to buy. Prices do suck now, but most quality firearms at least retain their fair market value.

I just recently bailed out of my last hobby, arcades and pins. It was becoming to frustrating and expensive to maintain. I could watch $1000 literally go up in smoke when a custom chip
on an original Konami Gradius board cooked. Plus the market is through the roof, I used to buy pallets of untested pcbs for a couple hundred bucks after all the old arcades folded and many of these boards are now worth hundreds.
It was the right time to bail.

So... every man needs a good hobby. I'm just not sure if I should start right now and buy up tons of stuff in this market.

Do you think I should wet my whistle with a few cool things or just go at it because the market may never return?

Complete off topic question...

I have a couple old arcade games that need repair. Anyone you'd recommend near metrowest?

As far as this hobby goes though: Buy now. No reason to hesitate, lest you wait too long and some unforeseen hammer drops on whatever you want to buy. Prices do suck now, but most quality firearms at least retain their fair market value.

...and Maura's coming! [puke2]

Also ammo is one of those things that the value can only recede so much. Like you can own a retarded gun in .480 Moron, and while you think it's cool, nobody will want to buy
it. On the other hand, if you had spent the $800 on like 2 point whatever cases of 9mm, you would be better off... .because you'd have 2.whatever cases of 9mm instead of a stupid
rifle chambered in .480 Moron thats not really useful.

Stop hating on my .480 Moron! It's really useful for shooting morons!

Welcome to NES. I like the way you are thinking, both with your thoughts about getting into shooting and becoming a Green member. Just because a bunch of guys tell you to go Green, doesn't mean you should, but if you are serious about starting into the wide world of gunz, it will be the best $24 you spend.
If you do buy a GP100, when you sell it in a year after you realize you should have bought a 686, the NES classifieds will more than pay for the membership.

Owning a handgun and a rifle in the same caliber is a wise decision and a great way to start and 357 is a great caliber to dive into reloading as well. However, if you decide at some point that you want to start carrying regularly, you may find a GP100 difficult to conceal and carry. There are, of course small revolvers that carry well, and many an NES'r that swears by their small wheel guns.

There will also be a ton of guys that tell you that you NEED a 22 handgun and rifle. I don't think you need to buy a couple of 22's, but they are a ton of fun and cheap to shoot.
Glock. Either you love em or you hate em. If you like them, that is really all you need to do. If you hate them (me), exploring the options is where the fun starts and opinions differ wildly.

Dr Grant gives good advice about buying ammo. He stops short of telling you to buy a CZ Shadow, but if you want a gun that will make you the best you can be on the range, the Shadow is where it's at. There are other guns that are as accurate, but nothing that will give you the ability to fire as rapidly with accuracy, unless you get into race guns. Shoot a Shadow and you will see what I mean. They are spooky accurate and easy to shoot.
1911's are similar to Glock in that you either love them or hate them. To me, a decent 1911 just feels right. But it is not the platform for everybody. It is definitely more popular with the over 50 crowd and 45acp is, well, 45acp.

It has been mentioned that if you are even remotely thinking about an AR or magazine fed rifle, do it now before you can not. This is sound advice. And you will never lose money on it, if you decide it's not for you.
My personal approach was to check all of the "needs" boxes and then move on to wants.
Duty Pistol - Scoped rifle - Battle rifle - 12ga.... Then I repeated a couple in case I ever felt the need to arm someone else who is close to me.
Then guns that were more "wants." Lever action rifles, big ass revolvers, plinkers, carry guns, back up guns, trainers.
But don't sweat the small shit. You will almost always be able to sell things you fall out of love with. I bought a Ruger 22 years ago that everyone said you have to buy. I was so happy to trade that to someone that wanted one.

If you do buy a GP100, when you sell it in a year after you realize you should have bought a 686, the NES classifieds will more than pay for the membership.

Having had both the only one I still have is the 686. It is the wife’s favorite so it will never go.

I will say that the GP 100 is one of the few I have sold that I miss. Not enough to replace it as my wife lets me shoot her 686.😉

Both are great revolvers but I prefer the cylinder release on the S&W revolvers.

Bob

Having had both the only one I still have is the 686. It is the wife’s favorite so it will never go.

I will say that the GP 100 is one of the few I have sold that I miss. Not enough to replace it as my wife lets me shoot her 686.😉

Both are great revolvers but I prefer the cylinder release on the S&W revolvers.

Bob

I have both, I much prefer the GP 100; the double action trigger out of the box is much better on the GP than the 686 IMO.

I have both, I much prefer the GP 100; the double action trigger out of the box is much better on the GP than the 686 IMO.
As always, I greatly respect your opinion. Even when you are wrong. [laugh]

I have had the opportunity to shoot 2 different GP 100's and in both cases, I found the triggers to be "gritty". Both owners sold their Rugers after shooting my 686. I do not deny that it is possible my 686 had smoothed out considerably over time and maybe the Rugers would too.
I also find the 686 to handle recoil differently. I don't argue that the Rugers are built like tanks, but I think the design makes recoil feel sharper.
And they are ugly. :)

Mike is generally right IMO from a purely pragmatic POV. But you don't have to be driven by pragmatism and shouldn't feel bad if you aren't. If you have limited funds, then I agree wholeheartedly with Mike -- spend it wisely and you'll be much happier. But if you actually have money burning a hole in your trousers from time to time, then I say go for whatever tickles your fancy at any given time. Most of us have engaged in moronic impulse buying. If you are ok laughing it off and chocking up some occasional losses, then who cares? If OTOH taking losses or otherwise making stupid purchases is going to drive you nuts, then you would be well-advised to follow Mike's advice to a tee. I don't recall ever buying a .480 Moron, but I certainly have had some losses here and there that I am not proud of. I don't lose any sleep over it at all. It's part of the fun. So, hold my beer...

It's not just pragmatism, I would be lying if I told you I didnt impulse buy guns occasionally. Hell 80% of what I own, there was no "need" for that stuff. If I constrained myself to that I'd be down to like 7 guns tops. The key is to sort of put yourself in an informed position to not do it so much.

Let's put it this way since early 2000s or so, I probably sold 40 guns. Out of that 40, only 10 were "had to sell but really didn't want to". The other 30, if I start doing the
math, were a collosal overhead of waste in terms of transactional costs and so on. Someone will say "well wasnt there a learning experience in that?" sure, but it was a very
overpriced one. It sounds like clicheed faggotry, but theres the "If I knew then what I know now" thing, I'll put it this way I could have saved a lot of money. Like I'd be ahead by a healthy 5 figures or more. And in the process I would have retained more of those ten that I had to sell.

ETA: and instead of a bunch of guns id have at least a pile of ammo around and not ever sweat supply disruptions.... not even once. [rofl]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom