Is this the wrong time to dive into this hobby?

As always, I greatly respect your opinion. Even when you are wrong. [laugh]

I have had the opportunity to shoot 2 different GP 100's and in both cases, I found the triggers to be "gritty". Both owners sold their Rugers after shooting my 686. I do not deny that it is possible my 686 had smoothed out considerably over time and maybe the Rugers would too.
I also find the 686 to handle recoil differently. I don't argue that the Rugers are built like tanks, but I think the design makes recoil feel sharper.
And they are ugly. :)

Lol IMHO that door can swing both ways, although the 686 will win on average. Most of either are not "stellar" without work regardless. Although I have felt old 686 and old GP100s that seem to have been "self polishing internally with time" that are far better than newer guns.

I have had the opportunity to shoot 2 different GP 100's and in both cases, I found the triggers to be "gritty". Both owners sold their Rugers after shooting my 686. I do not deny that it is possible my 686 had smoothed out considerably over time and maybe the Rugers would too.
I also find the 686 to handle recoil differently. I don't argue that the Rugers are built like tanks, but I think the design makes recoil feel sharper.
Lol, as I respect yours even when you're wrong 🤣

I was looking at another 686 as I already had one, wanted a different barrel length, and the guy at the shop asked me if I ever looked at the GP100 which I had not. He showed me both side by side brand new out of the box. The difference between the double action was like night and day, the GP100 was infinitely smoother. The SA trigger on the 686 was marginally better than the GP100. I have shown my Ruger to couple of guys w/ 686's and they loved the Ruger. My office manager prefers her 686 even though she can barely shoot hers in DA, lol. These revolvers were all purchased within the last 5-6 years, could have something to do w/ it as well. Since then I have stuck w/ Rugers although I do still have a 686+. You can't go wrong w/ either IMO.

It's not just pragmatism, I would be lying if I told you I didnt impulse buy guns occasionally. Hell 80% of what I own, there was no "need" for that stuff. If I constrained myself to that I'd be down to like 7 guns tops. The key is to sort of put yourself in an informed position to not do it so much.

Let's put it this way since early 2000s or so, I probably sold 40 guns. Out of that 40, only 10 were "had to sell but really didn't want to". The other 30, if I start doing the
math, were a collosal overhead of waste in terms of transactional costs and so on. Someone will say "well wasnt there a learning experience in that?" sure, but it was a very
overpriced one. It sounds like clicheed faggotry, but theres the "If I knew then what I know now" thing, I'll put it this way I could have saved a lot of money. Like I'd be ahead by a healthy 5 figures or more. And in the process I would have retained more of those ten that I had to sell.

ETA: and instead of a bunch of guns id have at least a pile of ammo around and not ever sweat supply disruptions.... not even once. [rofl]
I hear you but I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things -- to the extent you can from time to time afford it -- it's just not a big deal to make dumb impulse purchases. And I think everyone has to go through it to some degree. It's really the only way to get smarter on what stuff you really like and what stuff you realize is sucky. Once you get beyond EDC and home defense guns, arguably you don't need anything else anyway, which is no different than just about any other interest or hobby. So where does the rational become the irrational? There really isn't a line anymore once you get beyond having a few necessary firearms. Same if you buy knives or sports memorabilia or jackets or shoes etc. etc. Most of us could get by with one pair of shoes.

There's still money in arcade hardware? I would have figured that to have been dead after emulation picked up and people could build their own MAME cabinets with all the games, not just one. I did love me some Metal Slug back in the day....

As far as this hobby goes though: Buy now. No reason to hesitate, lest you wait too long and some unforeseen hammer drops on whatever you want to buy. Prices do suck now, but most quality firearms at least retain their fair market value.
Yes, as the custom chips on these boards died the prices collectors would pay for original boards kept going up.
A good example is the Capcom CPS1 system it had a ton of very popular games on it, Final Fight, SF2, Strider, Ghouls N Ghosts. Knights Round.
The board was also known for having very fragile custom chips, so over the years thousands of them died making the boards useless and the price for working boards increase.

Complete off topic question...

I have a couple old arcade games that need repair. Anyone you'd recommend near metrowest?

I used to repair 90% of them myself and the ones over my head I would send out.
The local guy I used in the metro area is now retired.

I also recommend Ray Jett from Texas.
His handle on KLOV is channelmaniac...if you go there.

His website is ArcadeComponents.com - Parts and components for vintage arcade games, computers, and game consoles!

These revolvers were all purchased within the last 5-6 years, could have something to do w/ it as well. Since then I have stuck w/ Rugers although I do still have a 686+. You can't go wrong w/ either IMO.
As usual, a post worth reading.
And I do confess my 686 is an older model.
I do however stand by my assertion that Rugers are ugly. :)

I have come to realize that when it comes to revolvers, it is very much like the Ford vs. Chevy debate with trucks. I think the revolver debate is also prominent because there are so few real contender, like trucks. Truth is they are all good products.

ETA: and instead of a bunch of guns id have at least a pile of ammo around and not ever sweat supply disruptions.... not even once. [rofl]
NES would freak the f out if I said how much 308 I had stockpiled before I even got an FAL.. I think I started buying 308 2 years before I found the FAL I wanted.

IIRC, it was about 400 rounds I had stockpiled.

Just get a Rhino.

Do you still have pin parts? I need to dig in to my Williams Cyclone machine. It’s not ejecting the ball when it falls between the flippers
Easy fix. It’s probably the switch in the trough not activating the eject coil. Looks like the type of setup that would need adjustment. Pull that V shaped cover thingie off and repair it yourself. It will be a feel good moment.
There's still money in arcade hardware? I would have figured that to have been dead after emulation picked up and people could build their own MAME cabinets with all the games, not just one. I did love me some Metal Slug back in the day....
If he just got out of video games and pinball he is quite flush and can afford the entry fee to most hobbies. The market is thru the roof right now…

Easy fix. It’s probably the switch in the trough not activating the eject coil. Looks like the type of setup that would need adjustment. Pull that V shaped cover thingie off and repair it yourself. It will be a feel good moment.

If he just got out of video games and pinball he is quite flush and can afford the entry fee to most hobbies. The market is thru the roof right now…

Ive done almost all the repairs to this machine already. Replaced several solenoids and other switches. I did have to have someone come and check the board and it ended up needing to be sent out for repair once.

Getting parts is also getting harder

Plenty of S&W and Ruger revolvers in my household. No brand-loyalty here. I'd have to agree that the new ones will typically need some attention to reach their potential. The GP100 is a little chunky, to be sure. I used to think mine wasn't accurate until I put a scope on it. Oops. My bad. It's stupid accurate.

Back
Top Bottom