• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It’s not Democrats. It’s guns.

The weird thing is Vermont has always had lots of guns. In the 80s while I lived there most had at least one deer rifle and many had a pistol in their glove box. Everyone I knew had a 12 gauge but they were worried about 4 legged wildlife. Minimal permit requirements other than federal rules.

It just wasn’t a thing. Nobody cared.

Burlington was (relatively speaking) the “Big City” but it was tiny compared to most. Framingham is a booming metropolis compared to my memories of Burlington.

Last edited:

While problems like homelessness and drugs were growing in recent years, the Police Department was shrinking. The murder of George Floyd by police in Minneapolis in 2020, which unleashed a wave of fury at the police killing of Black men, dramatically altered public safety in Burlington. The Burlington City Council, dominated by progressives and independents at the time, cut the Police Department budget by 30 percent. The council voted to reduce the police force through attrition from 105 officers to 74 and reallocate the money to programs that support people of color.

Good for them. F*ck them

Back
Top Bottom