Just another night in Lynn

If you are ever in Lynn, stop by "Los Chamos". Best Venezuelan food you will eat outside of Venezuela.
Let's of good food in Lynn. Charlie's Seafood next to Sullivan's Liquors at the corner of Chatham & Essex, great hunk of fish, or Jamaica's Flavour at the corner of Pleasant & Wheeler, they're closed on Saturday, 7 Day Adventists.

If they were going to give the world an enema, Chelsea would get the tube, but Lynn would be a close second

Born and spent the first 12 years of my life there(late 60’s through the 70’s). Lived right off English High. Used to find drugs buried in our back yard from the students. There used to be a carnival that came to English during the summer. The last time at the carnival, one of my dad’s students (he was a teacher at LVTI) spotted him and pulled a knife in him (@79). We went home and I didn’t know it even happened (second time a student pulled a knife on him). We moved out after that. Living there did teach me about situational awareness lol

Even the locals recommended living elsewhere.

That's because they're a bunch of snobs, they want the whole place just for themselves! [laugh]

If you are ever in Lynn, stop by "Los Chamos". Best Venezuelan food you will eat outside of Venezuela.

People still have food in Venezuela ??? Headscratch.gif

When I met my wife she lived in Lynn on Chatham Street by the RR Bridge. She had come from the Boondocks of Jamaica, to live with her cousins in the Bronx. Near Gun Hill Road in one of those God forsaken high rises in the ghetto. When her Aunt offered her a room in Lynn, she jumped at the chance.

Serious question, is there a Jamaican enclave in that neighborhood ???
A former co-worker of mine lives on Chatham st., and his family immigrated from Jamaica when he was 13.

Ever tried Ethiopian food? Neither have they.

Plutzing.gif

There used to be an Ethiopian restaurant at 333 Mass Ave in Boston, near Symphony Hall.
I'd laugh every time I drove by and saw the sign thinking "what's on the menu? NOTHING!"

A few months ago some whacko in one of the section 8 buildings threw a pot shot at two of our guys.
Lynn PD was called .
They showed up and asked if anyone was hit.
No ? Ok ,bye.
WTF.

Serious question, is there a Jamaican enclave in that neighborhood ???
A former co-worker of mine lives on Chatham st., and his family immigrated from Jamaica when he was 13.
So I asked my wife, she said you posted what about me! Her cousin was near Gun Hill Road in the Bronx, still is. She was with different cousins in Jamaica Queens. Anyway, she was on the corner of Bloomfield, across from Sanderson. The only other Jamaicans she knew on Chatham were the Soares. Clovis Soares, he had other family around Lynn.

My dad worked at GE in Building 77 for 32 years. In the first few years he worked second shift and we would go pick him up at the end of the shift.

There used to be an Ethiopian restaurant at 333 Mass Ave in Boston, near Symphony Hall.
I'd laugh every time I drove by and saw the sign thinking "what's on the menu? NOTHING!"
Once upon I time during the famine, I tripped over some Hub article
where the nice owners of Asmara Eritrean restaurant in Central Square
complained that business was down,
because the Cambridge moonbats felt guilty about eating
Horn of Africa cuisine when there were people starving in Ethiopia.

So the clientele stepped up to do their part to impoverish the region's ex-pats... [shocked][angry]

Back in the 70s we moved to Maine but my dad still worked in Methuen. A union job he was at for nearly 30 years. So he rented for a while until he got his pension and would usually come home on weekends. However we had all our relatives down there. So, at one point he had a place in Lynn, just a little house or part of a house. So we go down one weekend in the summer and 4 of us slept on cots/couches out on the porch. We thought it was cool. Almost like camping. I woke up, probably 2 am and looked out at the street. At 7 years old I watched 3 guys strip a car in about 3 minutes! It was fascinating. The next morning I told my mom and dad what I saw, the car was up on blocks right across the street. That was the last time I remember being at that house. LOL

My dad worked at GE in Building 77 for 32 years. In the first few years he worked second shift and we would go pick him up at the end of the shift.
Back in the 80's, before they knocked the building down, we delivered to 77 Receiving or the Carpenters Shop next to it almost every day.
The primary receiver back then was Stan McKean, great guy. Now we go to Building 64.
In the 80's, they were our biggest customer if you include GE West Lynn, GE Medford, GE Everett, GE South Portland, GE Fitchburg & GE Pittsfield.
Now they're probably some where in the top 800 of our customer and we just do Lynn.

Not sure what Lynn is like these days, been a long time since I've done anything but drive through there on the way to somewhere else. But back in the 80's I worked on an ambulance there, if you were looking for action it was the place to be around here other than Boston.

Isn't Lynn regarded as the un-official anus of Massachusetts ? (asking for an out of towner friend)
no idea but RI was considered the "outhouse" of MA. RI was where "undesirables" would be sent when no town wanted to take responsibility for them in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Back in the 80's, before they knocked the building down, we delivered to 77 Receiving or the Carpenters Shop next to it almost every day.
The primary receiver back then was Stan McKean, great guy. Now we go to Building 64.
In the 80's, they were our biggest customer if you include GE West Lynn, GE Medford, GE Everett, GE South Portland, GE Fitchburg & GE Pittsfield.
Now they're probably some where in the top 800 of our customer and we just do Lynn.
Do you know why that building was "Knocked Down"? Ans: Very high rate of the guys that worked in that building died from cancer, My dad was one of them.

Lynn is OK. But as someone said, people don't say "House F/S in Lynn." They say "House on Lynnfield line" or something. Brockton's been doing that S-word for 40 years. "EASTON LINE!" LOL.

Some towns do it. Some don't. You don't see that in Taunton. You DO see it in NB. Not so much in FR, but that may be geographic. (FR has hard geographic boundaries. The state line, a bay, an industrial area and forest and un-developed Westport. They are an island unto themselves.).

Geographically, Springfield is probably the anus of mASS. AssofmASS. LOL

And geographically, the entire "Southcoast" region is the armpit of mASS.

Lynn was always split up pretty well. nice neighborhoods on the outskirts, but downtown was pretty bad. It's a large area for the city though. Funny that you can have million dollar homes down by the beach and such a contrast in some other areas. Kind of like Haverhill, could be responding to a shooting or stabbing downtown and the next call could be for someone that got bit by a cow or a farm equipment accident.

GE tore buildings down rather than pay the taxes on them, they knew they were NEVER going to use them again.

If they could get away with moving the Jet Engine plant out of Lynn without it costing them a fortune to remediate the property to dispose of it, or having to pay the taxes on empty buildings, they would have been gone 30 years ago.

GE tore buildings down rather than pay the taxes on them, they knew they were NEVER going to use them again.

If they could get away with moving the Jet Engine plant out of Lynn without it costing them a fortune to remediate the property to dispose of it, or having to pay the taxes on empty buildings, they would have been gone 30 years ago.

NY has their Love Canal. Lynn would have their Lust Hahhbuh. LOL

GTE had the same problem in Salem. Can't sell, Ma. says land too contaminated. Tore down building to lessen tax burden. Then found the solution, give it to the state. Contamination gone, enlarge the school on it.

Back
Top Bottom