Lead fouling...

Over the past couple of months, I have been shooting lead almost exclusively through my handguns. I have been doing this, because my indoor range only allows lead. I have noticed that the barrel of my 1911 has been getting these "streaks" in the low part of the rifling. I am assuming that these streaks are lead fouling. Sometimes I can get the majority of them out, however the barrel does not seem to come as clean as I would like it to. I noticed that if I put in some time and elbow grease, I can get the barrel on my Walther to go back to that mirror finish and all but get rid of the fouling. In my 1911 however, if I work it as hard as my Walther, I just can't seem to get it all out.

I was wondering what everyone recommends to rid their barrels of lead fouling. Also I'm not sure how much fouling is acceptable to have inside a barrel, and still have the gun shoot accurately, and function reliably to trust as a carry weapon.

Adam

I jag is great for that. And I've seen those brass mesh patches, those are supposed to work well.

When I reload, I try to order my lead with the moly coating. It really cuts down this problem. At least it seems to for me, maybe it's in my head.

The Lewis Lead Remover was one of those bronze or copper mesh patch deals that supposedly worked very well. I do not know if they are still made nor did I ever have any personal experience with them.

There are some other possiblities:

DISCLAIMER: It worked for me but might not work for you, so do so at your own risk: [twisted]

I have a .41 Mag S&W Model 58 (the one that looks like a Model 10 with a gland condition, it is now retired and sits in an honored place in my gun safe). It leaded badly, very badly. :( I used to use an electric drill with a bore brush in the bit, and man, it de-leaded like a muther. :)

You might try running your barrrel through the dishwasher, and then use a good brush and solvent. I have been known to clean my stainless steel guns that way. [roll]

Another method, tried and true is to swab down your barrel with a generous application of good ole Hoppe's #9, wait overnight and then give the barrel a good brushing. My guess is that the lead accumulates about 1/2 inch or so from the breech, no ? [wink]

Also, another tried and true method to delead is to shoot some jacketed hardball through your gun at the end of a shooting session which you cannot do at the range that you patronize. 8)

Regards,

Mark

Mark,
Thanks for the info.. I don't know if I would use the drill method, although if you go slow enough with the drill, I don't know how the bronze brush would be able to hurt the hardened steel of the bore.

Anyone else try this?

You are also correct to the location of the lead fouling. There is some running about 3/4 of the length of the barrel, however the majority is near the chamber end.

Thanks again.
Adam

I don't know how often you go to Northeast Trading. But Ted said that he's got a tried and true way of de-leading a barrel. He said that it's so easy it's crazy. And that it works wonderfully.

Like I said, I've never really had that problem. But he always told me that if I wanted to bring in a gun, he would show me how it's done.

Just a thought, get him to show you. You get it cleaned, by someone else, and learn a new trick.

I actually have never been to NorthEast Trading before. Maybe I'll have to check it out.

Adam

ooh running my gun barrell through the dish washer!

file that under "ways to get my wife to kick my ass"

that and washing my stinky sea-clothes with her nice work clothes 8)

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd beard said:

Yup - that would do it for me. [lol]

I have a recipe for cleaning black powder out of my percussion pieces, but off the top of my head (which is still slightly feverish at the moment) I can't remember the third ingrediant. When hubby gets home, I'll ask him what it is and I'll post it here. It works great. It should clean out your barrels just fine.

Weer'd beard said:
ooh running my gun barrell through the dish washer!

file that under "ways to get my wife to kick my ass"

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Yea, that's like using your dishwasher to steam a salmon.

Or using the oven to bake on duracoat.

C-pher said:
Yea, that's like using your dishwasher to steam a salmon.

Or using the oven to bake on duracoat.

I never thought of steaming a salmon that way....I'll have to try it. and I've used the oven to bake on bluing (or whatever the hell that stinky stuff was). [lol]

1 whole salmon, 4 to 7 lbs
1 lemon, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
herbs, of your choice (tarragon and savory recommended)
6 tablespoons butter

Place the whole salmon in the center of the foil, season with herbs inside and out.

Place half the slices of butter inside of the fish and the other half on top of the fish.

Do the same with the slices of lemon, arranging them in the cavity and on top of the fish.

Fold the foil and roll the edges so that the entire fish is sealed.

Turn on the dishwasher, normal or hot cycle and run your dishwasher as you normally would.

(Please don't use any soap or anything else)

By the time the washer is done with the drying cycle, the fish will be done and ready to serve.

Simply unwrap the fish at the dinner table and serve with vegetables of your choice.

C-pher said:
(Please don't use any soap or anything else)

laugh.gif

The sad part is, I know a few folks who would need to be told that. [roll]

Okay...back to getting rid of lead....

I would never put anything with lead near where dishes and silverware goes. Not even after several empty cycles. No thank you.

Coyote33 said:
I would never put anything with lead near where dishes and silverware goes. Not even after several empty cycles. No thank you.

Tell me about it! I had enough of that crap chewing on window sills when I was younger...

Now where the hell did I leave my pants?

Back
Top Bottom