Legal issue when modifying a firearm?

This may sound like a broad topic, but I'm specifically interested in modifying a gun's safety- i.e. removing a mag safety in this case. I do not intend to use this particular firearm for self defense, just competitition- unless of course I need to during a competition. [wink] I would think this should be fine since we can do trigger jobs, etc.

Reason: IMO a mag safety is a major burden and problem in IDPA. I don't like it and NONE of my other guns have such a device.

Thanks

IMO there would be no real impact legally. About all I would be
concerned with personally, is if I ever sold the gun I would definitely
notify the next buyer that it's gone, and thats just out of wanting
the next owner to be informed... I'm guessing your talking about the
M+P.... most of the S+W products without the "CAUTION: WILL FIRE WITH
MAGAZINE REMOVED" thing on the side typically have a mag safety, if its
an S+W auto. (Although I don't think my PC945 does, but its an older one).

-Mike

Yep. Don't like dry firing practice with a mag... just doesn't seem right.

I'm sorry, I don't get that. When I practice my highpower rapid fire, I am doing so with a rifle full of dummy cartridges. It's the only way to have meaningful practice.

How is that different from sticking an empty mag in a handgun.

When you use dummy cartridges in most of my guns (Glocks, Sigs or M&P), you have to pull the slide back to reset the trigger. If you pull it back too far you eject the dummy rounds or worse you jam it up. I don't care to reload mag after mag with dummy cartridges.

If you do it with an empty mag installed releasing the slide from slide lock between each dry fire is also a PITA. You can do this (and I sometimes do, but you need to be carefull not to pull the slide back too far) but it takes focus away from my trigger control.

Besides- NONE of my guns have this "safety" feature and I'd like to have consistancy when possible. Besides- there is only one saftey that is gauranteed to work- and that is me. All my guns are locked in a safe or on me... that is my safety. [wink]

EDIT: I won't even argue the issue of being able to fire a chambered round if the mag is dropped in a SD situation.

This may sound like a broad topic, but I'm specifically interested in modifying a gun's safety- i.e. removing a mag safety in this case. I do not intend to use this particular firearm for self defense, just competitition- unless of course I need to during a competition. [wink] I would think this should be fine since we can do trigger jobs, etc.

Reason: IMO a mag safety is a major burden and problem in IDPA. I don't like it and NONE of my other guns have such a device.

Thanks

There is no "Mag Safety" It is a Magazine Disconnect. If you look at it that way, refer to it that way, and learn that iit is not a safety but a disconnect, you will never have a problem having it removed.

Neither of my M&Ps have a magazine disconnect. It is offered with or without them so there should never be an issue.

Regards,

Last edited:
How is it activated? If you take the spring and follower out and insert a magazine body and floorplate, can you still dry fire it?

B

How is it activated? If you take the spring and follower out and insert a magazine body and floorplate, can you still dry fire it?

B

If I understand what you are saying- yes it would still work. When I'm at IPDA practices I really don't want to carry a partial magazine around for this though. I suppose that would work for dry fire practice... however removing the "magazine disconnect" is much easier... right RGS? [wink]

I usually dry fire with an empty mag in the gun, and I carry an empty mag in my mag holder. After I pull the trigger, I tug lightly on the back of the slide, just enough to reset the trigger. If I pull too hard, and the slide locks back, I use that opportunity to practice my mag change. It seems to work pretty well for me, and when you are quickly pulling back on the slide, you never know exactly when you will pull it a little too far, and have to do a mag change...

There is no "Mag Safety" It is a Magazine Disconnect. If you look at it that way, refer to it that way, and learn that iit is not a safety but a disconnect, you will never have a problem having it removed.
Regards,

So if someone wanted to disable the magazine disconnect what's the best way to go about it?

So if someone wanted to disable the magazine disconnect what's the best way to go about it?

Find a gunsmith that will do it for you.... or if it's simple enough, find
the parts needed and a manual/instructions.

If you make any modifications yourself, check, double check, and triple
check to make sure that everything functions correctly and
safely. I also would not carry the gun until you've taken it to the range
to test fire it. (Course, I do this even if I change the grip panels on a
gun!.... )

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom