• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legal to buy ammo in NH and bring it back

I apologize if another thread has already been started on this topic....but having problems finding an answer. I'm going to NH this weekend and would like to purchase some hard to find ammo at a firearms dealer store and bring it back home to MA. Never tried this before. Is this legal?

No, I think it's not even legal to own guns in Mass. You should get rid of them immediately.

As long as you can legally posses it in this state you can buy it whereveryou want. Do you have a MA LTC or FID? If no, then the answer is no.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I think it's not even legal to own guns in Mass. You should get rid of them immediately.

NES give away perhaps?

Buy all the ammo in NH that you can find. I only ask that when you return to MA, please dont start any threads on NES about how you were carded for ammo in NH.

i cannot withstand another such thread.

Cool. Thanks to all. I thought you could...but you never know with this state! [grin]

If the state could prevent you, they'd prevent you from buying even a candy bar in any other state and bringing it back to MA w/o paying a tax to MA for it! Luckily they can't legally strip search people crossing the state line nor can they disassemble your car looking for "contraband" by tax evaders . . . they don't YET have the power of the TSA!

There are some shops in NH that won't sell to you if they find out you are from MA. Don't mention it and don't volunteer ANY info and you should do fine.

Cool. Thanks to all. I thought you could...but you never know with this state! [grin]

Somebody lock this thread before the guys from NH start talking about how all of us communists keep going over the boarder to circumvent all the communist gun laws that we all voted for [smile]

I was in NH a few weeks ago and headed home through Kittery. Neither place I went to had the hard to find 22LR. Good luck in your search.

If the state could prevent you, they'd prevent you from buying even a candy bar in any other state and bringing it back to MA w/o paying a tax to MA for it! Luckily they can't legally strip search people crossing the state line nor can they disassemble your car looking for "contraband" by tax evaders . . . they don't YET have the power of the TSA!

There are some shops in NH that won't sell to you if they find out you are from MA. Don't mention it and don't volunteer ANY info and you should do fine.
Wow I know of some places that ask for a Mass LTC if you show them a mass driver license if they check if you are 18......but refuse to sell to you at all? What shop does that?

Wow I know of some places that ask for a Mass LTC if you show them a mass driver license if they check if you are 18......but refuse to sell to you at all? What shop does that?

There is a NES sponsor from NH here who refuses all sales to MA residents even FTF in NH . . . info as I've read it here so I'd never bother stopping there to try to buy anything.

There is a NES sponsor from NH here who refuses all sales to MA residents even FTF in NH . . . info as I've read it here so I'd never bother stopping there to try to buy anything.

Ammo2u
He was having a sale and a few friends asked if his policy about mass sales was only online . said he wouldn't sell to a mass rez ftf because he'd be breaking laws lol .

Make sure you claim the ammo you bought up here when you file taxes just like every other thing MA residents are suppose to claim when they buy stuff up here to save money. :)

Sorry Whacko, I couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Most of the NH shops the only rule is age 21 for pistol ammo and 18 for rifle ammo...

Federal rules!

Now the screwy thing about the federal laws is that if you are 18 and try to buy a box of 9mm ammo and say its for your pistol you will be refused.

If you are 18 and try to buy a box of 9mm ammo and say its for your carbine they will sell it to you.

Actually saw this happen at a gun shop in Hooksett a few months ago! [banghead]

Make sure you claim the ammo you bought up here when you file taxes just like every other thing MA residents are suppose to claim when they buy stuff up here to save money. :)

Sorry Whacko, I couldn't resist.

It was only a matter of time [rofl]

I apologize if another thread has already been started on this topic....but having problems finding an answer. I'm going to NH this weekend and would like to purchase some hard to find ammo at a firearms dealer store and bring it back home to MA. Never tried this before. Is this legal?

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it make any sound?

Somebody lock this thread before the guys from NH start talking about how all of us communists keep going over the boarder to circumvent all the communist gun laws that we all voted for [smile]

It's not the NES members that concern us, it's all the moonbats that flee the corruption and high taxes, but then come here and vote for the same nonsense. Keep your moonbats on a shorter leash!

It's not the NES members that concern us, it's all the moonbats that flee the corruption and high taxes, but then come here and vote for the same nonsense. Keep your moonbats on a shorter leash!

A shorter noose would be better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah I get that. But......trust me......I have seen multiple threads here where NESers say us mass guys come north to buy ammo to circumvent our laws that we voted for and that they think most gun shops hate our business! Trust me they are on here.

Very much so. A few of us trolled his section on the site cause if it. Loki (forget the numbers after in his screen name) is a friend and called and asked cause the deal he had was worth the drive for him.

I'm only 25 miles away, so it saves me a trip. Screw him!

I won't go there even after I move to NH in a few years.

Last edited:
If the state could prevent you, they'd prevent you from buying even a candy bar in any other state and bringing it back to MA w/o paying a tax to MA for it! //
Years ago they put a MSP investigator in the trunk of a car at the People's Republic of New Hampshire's State Liquor store in Portsmouth. He would then radio license plate #'s and the cars would be stopped on I95.

.....Except the agents of the state "detained" them. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB125236461011390855
Messing with the state's alcohol monopoly is serious bidness in NH.

New Hampshire is among 18 states that still require wine and hard liquor to be sold through state agencies.

I'm only 25 miles away, so it saves me a trip. Screw him!

I won't go there even after I move to NH in a few years.

Because I didn't believe it, I visited their website. Their FAQs section said that they will not even sell reloading components to MA residents (never mind ammo). I understand that it's his/their business and can sell to whomever they want, but their policy is very 2nd amendment unfriendly!

Because I didn't believe it, I visited their website. Their FAQs section said that they will not even sell reloading components to MA residents (never mind ammo). I understand that it's his/their business and can sell to whomever they want, but their policy is very 2nd amendment unfriendly!

With no license required to buy ammo in NH, how the hell does a seller know where you're from? Does he keep track of all the license plates that pull into his lot?

I can't imagine free staters would put up with being carded...

Back
Top Bottom