Legality of purchasing a firearm overseas and shipping to a Mass FFL

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Over the summer my wife and I will be taking a trip to Italy for some well deserved vacation/honeymoon time. While there I plan on visiting at least one of the local firearms manufacturers. Not sure which one, but I'd like to visit one that makes their firearms by hand. My question though is this. If I find say a beautiful over under (which I really would love to get) at what I consider a good price. Can I have the manufacturer or gun store over there ship it to say Four Seasons so it can be transferred to me when I get back or is there a law not allowing me to do this?

I know I'll have to check with the local laws there, but was wondering if there are any road blocks in regards to getting it back into the country.

Sure you can. Contact the US BATFE and ask for a "form 6" this allows you to import a firearm for personal sporting use "not for resale" You will need the serial number of the shotgun. Take the form to the factory. You fill it out send it in and they mail it back with the proper stampings. You will need to present it to US Customs near Logan Airport. At that time you will need to register the gun. I suggest taking it to a local dealer for the FA 10 and the 4473/NICS. The 4473 will be redundant since the form 6 tells the feds you are the purchaser. You will have to pay any duty owned on the gun. Call the BATFE and they can help you. Greg

Ok, I went and looked at Form 6 at the ATF website and it indicates that it's for the temporary importation of a firearm by someone who is not a citizen. Am I looking at the wrong form 6?

Back
Top Bottom