Liberty Safe Confirms They Gave Feds Access Code to Gun Safe During Raid on January 6 Protester

More importantly: Apple cannot give them the code, because they don’t have it.
That's technically correct although apple can get into locked phones using other methods. Locked phones aren't locked when you can patch software to change the OS's behavior regarding how locked stuff is supposed to work.

The old "patch it out of existence" trick.

Liberty probably could have gave the feds a bogus code and said "Well he must have changed it because that is the code our records show" With how the dems have weaponized all branches of the federal government, had they simply told the feds to pound sand I'm sure they would be dealing with IRS and OSHA audits for the next three decades.
You think Liberty will be in business in three years? Much less three decades? Forget “Liberty”, soon the United States will not even be a sovereign nation, it is open to pillaging from foreign communists. The Feds gave them the “combo”.

The company has a back door combo to the safe that they handed out simply because the cops asked for it.

Did they? It has not been established that it what they provided. If they did, that would allow the FBI to potentially open any/all of the Liberty Safes that use the same back door combo. I find it somewhat difficult to believe they are going to have a different back door combo for every safe.

The Liberty Safe locks that I've seen are basically junk compared to a S&G lock. I'll bet they are easy to crack with no expertise at all.

As for LEO wanting to get into a safe, they will happily use crowbars and sledgehammers if it expedites things. They can destroy anything . . . safes, walls, doors, etc. and are not liable for the damages and won't repair anything either. So standing your ground legally will just get you bigger repair/replacement bills. I'm not advocating what to do, just putting it into a proper perspective.

Also, the likelihood of getting back what they steal (without significant damage to the items) is probably also unlikely. I know that many departments in the past would etch case numbers on guns taken as evidence, ruining the value and finish. I don't know if they still do that, but wouldn't be surprised if that was still a thing.

They’re going to get your stuff one way or another, so I think the bigger question is why in the world would the manufacturer of your safe want to assist people trying to take away your liberty at all?
I understand all that. So why would I make it easier for them?

As for the second point because they are cowards.

How would Liberty have the combination to his safe? Did he not change it from when it was delivered or does Liberty have a back door code?

This. I’ve been on the receiving end of similar government “requests” for info on our clients. “Nope, sorry.” “Are you going to make me get a warrant?” “That’s up to you, but I can’t give you that info without a warrant.” They haven’t followed up those “requests” with a warrant yet, but I guess if it was serious enough they would, but our clients are doing things as criminally outrageous as attending a protest.

Are you a firearms dealer? or something else? pardon my ignorance.

I wonder if this would help from a legal standpoint, but if the Feds target you its off to the gulag

View attachment 793117

Micro-etching?? Who are you? Diane Feinstein??? ;)

You think Liberty will be in business in three years? Much less three decades? Forget “Liberty”, soon the United States will not even be a sovereign nation, it is open to pillaging from foreign communists. The Feds gave them the “combo”.

Now THERE is a great first post. Which one of you created this phantom account? [rofl]

Did they? It has not been established that it what they provided. If they did, that would allow the FBI to potentially open any/all of the Liberty Safes that use the same back door combo. I find it somewhat difficult to believe they are going to have a different back door combo for every safe.

Why not? It's not hard to do.

I read conflicting things.
Can anyone confirm it was a warrant or just a request?
EDIT: Nevermind, their speech says it was a warrant

I have a Liberty Safe that I bought from a popular safe company in the area. When I bought it from the company they asked if I wanted to keep the combo on file for an emergency or delete it from their records. I told them to keep it, and I'm glad I did because I lost the paper with the combo on it before I memorized it. This was a while ago, so I fax'ed them my photo ID and they told me the combo. Now my son has a copy as well.

Does Liberty keep all out the door combo's on record by serial number?

I read conflicting things.
Can anyone confirm it was a warrant or just a request?
EDIT: Nevermind, their speech says it was a warrant
Don’t fall for that. The warrant was to search the customer’s property, and did not legally compel Liberty to provide access codes. This was a fed request to access codes and company policy to provide them.

Again, does Liberty have a back door or did he not change the comb when the safe was delivered?
I'm going to address this generically.

- Safe dealer probably has a list of sales with the combos on file. Perhaps Liberty does too.
- Most safe dealers don't/won't give the key to change the combo to the purchaser. [Yes, I know that you can buy anything on eBay.]0
- Most purchasers are unaware of how to change the combo. I believe that you have to remove the inner panel to get to the lock mechanism.
- I doubt that the cheesy Liberty locks I've seen use the same changing key as an S&G lock.

If it's true that they didn't have a warrant to search Liberty's records then it sounds like whoever at Liberty made the decision to hand the combo over just plain old f***ed up. They're a manufacturing company with <400 employees so I'm guessing the feds showed up, said something about a warrant, and some decision maker decided to cooperate without getting the company's lawyers involved. Now they're stuck between owning up to the mistake (and admitting culpability if the customer sues them, if they even have a claim) and trying to explain away their actions to their customer base. As usual, owning the mistake will likely prove the least painful in the long run but too many companies end up making the wrong call in these situations.

Back
Top Bottom