Locating to Pittsfield MA

My family and I are relocating for work to the Berkshires within the next year. I will be working in Pittsfield and have been concerned about the LTC status there. Clearly i'd like to have no restrictions on my permit. I'll be coming from NY with a LTC here.

I see Pittsfield listed in Red on the town list. But then I read something on here about a new police chief (Wynn?). Can someone from the area clear things up for me? I see Lee and Lenox are listed as green. If need be my housing choice will be based partially on this.

Now i just need to start my checking off guns on my list that are not MA-compliant.

Thanks for any advice.
Erich

I live about 25 miles south, but work in Pittsfield. There are better places to live than in Pittsfield, especially if you have kids. Take a close look at outlying towns within your commutable range.

Erich, I live in Pittsfield and can tell you that you should have no problem getting an unrestricted license. The process can take a while as the licensing officer only makes herself available one day per week. The Chief also (last I knew) interviews Unrestricted applicants, but I have not heard of anyone being denied after such interview. He's a good guy from what I can tell, and seems to be "One of Us" if his credentials are to be considered. I also know two people who very recently were able to get their restrictions (that they requested, not being familiar with the lay of the land) removed with a phone call.

Welcome to the Pitts. ;)

Thanks for the quick replies.

Gringo - What other towns are you referring to? If you'd prefer PM me. We are only at the beginning of our search.

Pernox - Thanks for the confirmation. I had read in a few other older posts about a new police chief. I would also be a business owner which i thought would help if need be.

Thanks again!
Erich

Thanks for the quick replies.

Gringo - What other towns are you referring to? If you'd prefer PM me. We are only at the beginning of our search.

Pernox - Thanks for the confirmation. I had read in a few other older posts about a new police chief. I would also be a business owner which i thought would help if need be.

Thanks again!
Erich

I just tend to have a bias against urban ares (I lived in Worcester for 22 years). Pittsfield is a very small city, but it seems lately to be having its share of problems with drugs and gangs. Not hardcore, but a few jerks coming in from outside looking for easy pickings. If you have kids, the elementary schools are mostly good (stay away from the community schools), but it gets nasty in the middle schools and up. I know some teachers an administrators that heve sent their kids out of district after 5th grade, typically to Richmond.

I don't know what your looking for ... city convenience, or rural solitude. But I'd certainly look at Lee, if its green. Nice little town, and the Lee Sportsmans Association is there. Lenox is pretty much South Pittsfield, but its a step up. Without looking at red v. green considerations (I don't have that screen up) I'd say any commutable outlying town warrants a look. Hell, you can live in Becket or Peru and drive in to work in Pittsfield.

I don't mean to insult Pittsfield or its residents. It's by no means Holyoke. I'm just not a city guy. Anymore.

I agree with Gringo. If you can move into any of the outlying towns (N-E-S-W) Lanesborogh, Dalton, Lee, Hancock or the towns past them. It takes a little bit to drive anywhere in our fair county.

If you decide Pittsfield there are better neighborhoods than others, take a visit.

Our Chief now is a great improvement over the last. I had a couple restrictions on my LTC. After the Heller case I went in to talk with Sue (liscensing lady), and was very happy that my restrictions went away.

I just tend to have a bias against urban ares (I lived in Worcester for 22 years). Pittsfield is a very small city, but it seems lately to be having its share of problems with drugs and gangs. Not hardcore, but a few jerks coming in from outside looking for easy pickings. If you have kids, the elementary schools are mostly good (stay away from the community schools), but it gets nasty in the middle schools and up. I know some teachers an administrators that heve sent their kids out of district after 5th grade, typically to Richmond.

Spot on right here. I have a daughter in the elementary system. She won't be in the Pittsfield system when she hits 6th grade, though. We're looking to get into the hilltowns in a year or two ourselves, largely for this reason.

The crime is getting heavy in certain areas (I'd be more than happy to give neighborhood recommendations if you need them) though as Gringo says, it's not H-town or Springfield... yet. That said, there are plenty of nice neighborhoods as well that are far removed from the seedier sections. If you're looking to buy right off, you might be better in one of the outlying "suburbs" for tax purposes as well as the privacy.

Spot on right here. I have a daughter in the elementary system. She won't be in the Pittsfield system when she hits 6th grade, though. We're looking to get into the hilltowns in a year or two ourselves, largely for this reason.

If she's at Allendale or Capeless, I know her! I see them all in Science! [grin]

Now i just need to start my checking off guns on my list that are not MA-compliant.

If you are referring to building your collection then yes, better get them now before you move.

If you are referring as to what you can bring with you, bring all that you own. Mass compliancy only applies to dealers, not to what you own.

NY and Mass have virtually the same assault weapon ban and ban on post-ban hi-cap mags over 10 rounds so you should already be complaint with it.

And make sure to bring them all with you when you move. Doing this will prevent having to fill out any paperwork.

Just a kind of warning if you plan on starting the LTC process in the near future for Pittsfield. Sue, the licensing woman is about to return to work after a lengthy hospital stay and will be switching to Wednesdays only from here on out and probably will only be available for half days.

This is what I was told by an officer temporarily in charge of taking the licensing phone calls. I never caught his name but I had to reschedule about a month and a half from my original appt. Kind of a crappy situation that they only have one non-LEO trained in the process but the officer I spoke with said he would probably be watching and learning how to complete the process without help.

Erich,

Do NOT start getting rid of handguns!!! The EOPS list and the [STRIKE]Assmuppet[/STRIKE] Attorney General's sooper-sekrit list of what she disapproves of only apply to what a MA FFL can transfer to a MA LTC holder. So if you have, for example, a Colt 1911 or a Browning Hi-power, even though they're not on any of our lists, you WANT to bring them - they're 100% legal to own (once you get at least your LTC-B or -A for the Colt and the Browning, respectively) and worth a premium since you can't buy them new in this state. (you just need to have either 10 round mags or pre-ban high capacity mags for the Browning)

Got a FN 5.7? Oh, definitely bring it. Just leave the high capacity mags at home. Those are going for obscene prices here. Got a Keltec PMR-30? I'll buy it off of you sight unseen... I lust after one of those. (as long as Keltec is making 10 round mags for it... [frown])

Springfield XD? Might as well sell it, as I don't think that they even make any 10 round mags for their guns and they claim they never will. Mind you, the GUN is legal! But the mags are not, since they were all made after Sept 13th, 1994. [rolleyes] Stupid, I know... but that's MA.

Hope that clears up what a wonderful
sarcasm.gif
state you're moving into.

Wow i didn't expect this type of response this fast. I do appreciate it.

Pernox - If you'd like to PM or email me on some areas in pittsfield that would be great. My wife and i did spend a day up there earlier this week. We found a couple areas we would consider. But i'd love some more local input.

In terms of handguns - I have read enough on here to know that whatever i have, or may possibly some day want, or even think about i should buy before i get there. Maybe i'll buy a Keltec to teach the wife with. And if i don't like it i'll just sell it.

Anyway. Thanks again guys! And yes i will join GOAL as soon as i move in.
Erich

Welcome to the 'Shire, ErichCS! And I do hope you'll tell us what area of self-employment you're in. It's too much to hope that it's something firearms related ...

In any event, I'm sure you'll be a credit to whatever community you choose.

HI;
Your original post was firearms related!!!
There are a lot of great small towns north & south of Pittsfield.
I prefer the south brekshire area myself.
Sheffiels PD is very LTC frendly!!!
A lot of gun clubs up & down the Berkshires too!
As long as you have a job to come to.
Welcome!!!
KK~!~

Last edited:
I get the feeling you are going to love using the teeth references for a while to come. That's fine...you will think of me whenever you have a tooth issue! I will corner the entire 2A market in my office!

Wow i didn't expect this type of response this fast. I do appreciate it.

Pernox - If you'd like to PM or email me on some areas in pittsfield that would be great. My wife and i did spend a day up there earlier this week. We found a couple areas we would consider. But i'd love some more local input.

In terms of handguns - I have read enough on here to know that whatever i have, or may possibly some day want, or even think about i should buy before i get there. Maybe i'll buy a Keltec to teach the wife with. And if i don't like it i'll just sell it.

Anyway. Thanks again guys! And yes i will join GOAL as soon as i move in.
Erich

Right on. PM incoming.

Back
Top Bottom