Look what Bubba did to this Garand

You should see one of the Garand's that I have. The previous owner cut off the rear of the stock to add a soft pad. Ugh.

That looks like it was done in the way back when days. You know, when old timers talk about barrels of 03 Springfields for $50 at hardware stores, etc.

That looks like it was done in the way back when days. You know, when old timers talk about barrels of 03 Springfields for $50 at hardware stores, etc.

Yep. Picture this. It's 1948. A young vet without the $ for a fancy store bought gun gets a clunker Garand and turns it into one of the sweetest semi-auto hunting rifles around, and for very little cash.

Of course, if this was done in the last 20 years the guy who did it should be boiled down into gun grease.

ruined a good winchester op rod. hard to tell is its a SA or win-13 reciever.... if its the later of the 2, the bubbas decendants need to be hunted down, and sterilized never to reproduce....

ruined a good winchester op rod. hard to tell is its a SA or win-13 reciever.... if its the later of the 2, the bubbas decendants need to be hunted down, and sterilized never to reproduce....

Hard to tell, it looks like the heel has been ground down and polished to make it better reflect Bubbas face back at him.[frown]

Umm... the wood's pretty. (he said, trying desperately to find a bright spot in this disaster...)

Would this be the "greatest Bambi implement ever devised"? (With apologies to Gen. Patton!)

Anyone remember the rifle stock lamps made from '03 stocks?

My friends mother and father worked at springfield armory in the 40's and 50's. they used to bring changed out and new 03, carbine, and garand stocks home to burn to heat the house in winter... said was best wood to burn. I almost went into cardiac arrest.

My friends mother and father worked at springfield armory in the 40's and 50's. they used to bring changed out and new 03, carbine, and garand stocks home to burn to heat the house in winter... said was best wood to burn. I almost went into cardiac arrest.

That's right up there with my Uncle's Father-in-Law. Tim was an old fashioned fisherman from Nova Scotia. When he told my Portuguese Grandfather that he used to bury lobsters in the backyard to fertilize the grass Gramps almost ended my Uncle's marriage before it started!

To stay on topic, both men were WWII combat vets and are rolling around in their graves right about now.

Just remember... for every sporterized surplus rifle there are still thousands of that model in original configuration for your collecting pleasure.

If it was done back in the day no biggie, no one knew any better. If it was done yesterday, well it is private property, free to be used in any manner the owner wishes.

the stock looks like it my be comfortable to shoot. I just dont know what to think about that mess north of the gas screw?

We live in America. This is one of the joys of living here- people buy what they like and do what they want to it. And we can bitch and moan as much as we like about it.

Last edited:
Is the charging handle partially from an SKS or FN-49?
Seriouosly....it is a nice job, I would shorten the barrell length and turn it into a carbine & install original front sights, then it would b a nice brush/zombie rifle. Probably be a good noisemaker at the next NES shoot. Nice touch with the compass on the buttstock?

Those sights are killing me. Why take the original sights off when they're a damn near perfect design? And that front sight... [puke2]

Back
Top Bottom