• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a club.

I'm with the Andover Sportsmen's club and just paid my annual and wish I didn't now. Is there any gun club near Peabody that DOESN'T have restrictions on gun targets? I got an email today that left me scratching my head. How is this a "human" target? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I haven't been there since I joined because of my parents' health situation. I pay on time nevertheless, and now I see this? Can someone explain? I just wanted something that I could see easily, and it doesn't look a person to me. Is there anything near me that's less restrictive?
It looks like a headless fat guy to me.

Yours is an oval target. I wouldn't worry. I would also look at other clubs. The restrictions related to the Class A license are insane, and maintaining it (especially as the only club that still does) seems like a bad sign.
Laura's target is the replacement center for a B-27 target. The B-27 target is the one of a man in a sport-jacket that we used during my years as a police officer. It was endorsed by the MCJTC many years ago for police qualification. That is likely why your club banned it.
I'm a member at ACS and got the same e-mail today and several others in the past re: the same topic. Seems very fuddy to me and pisses me off as well but I guess you either find another club or use round splatter targets like I get from Walmart. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if ASSachusetts is the only state with this type of regulation/requirement.
Yes, MA is likely the only state prohibiting these targets.

The story goes that one state rep/sen found out that lots of people were using his picture for a target and thus he insisted in slipping this into the 1998 GCA. Others on the committee thought it was too petty to make a stink over it, so it became MGL.

Here's a picture of the B-27 and the center replacement target.

Here's a picture of the B-27 and the center replacement target.

the email they sent bans this - it is just too damn funny.

1670189681538.png

Would these be ok 🤔

Alien_Target__86726.jpg

Last edited:

@Laura

Crazy. The only thing I can think of is the one on the far left may have what they see as a "head", even though it looks like its actually just the top of the oval with a white rectangle for the logo and the print to the left and right of it. I guess Id trim that top part off and shoot away. Or maybe they're saying the oval shape is too much like a torso, which would be extremely ghey if true. Its probably the club's lawyer being a busybody.

Im a member there but a total skinflint so I typically shoot at targets I print out at home on regular sized notebook paper. I use some spray adhesive to mount to cardboard I bring from work. Nothing approaching silhouette by anyone's standards. I have to say my experience with the club is people tend to myob in regards to mag limits, rapid fire, pre-ban/post ban, flash hiders/collapsing stocks, high caps, etc. As long as no one is doing anything unsafe, there dont seem to be a whole lot of hall monitors there. One guy did call me out for collecting lead at the pistol berm (which isnt addressed in any of the clubs laws afaict) but other than that ive been left alone. If I saw anyone shooting at a sil target I wouldn't gaf in the least.

Id say even though it shouldn't be an issue, trim that top and shoot away.

Join Cape Ann Sportsmans problem solved

This. I’ve been a member for 10 years or so. Can shoot any targets and can shoot your own steel after getting approval from the club president.

how the hell - your club got range officers who did that interpretation? f#ck that club, then, and those ROs as well.
f#ck me if i would be paying for some jerk to have a right to interpret legality of a painted paper i intend making holes in.
Seriously.
Is this shit even enforced?! I can’t imagine being that worried about a damn paper target. Wow

Seriously.
Is this shit even enforced?! I can’t imagine being that worried about a damn paper target. Wow
Like we both well understand- it is not about the targets. It is all about little people having a boner from been able to be in control, no matter what it’s about. The shape of paper. Epic.

The story goes that one state rep/sen found out that lots of people were using his picture for a target and thus he insisted in slipping this into the 1998 GCA. Others on the committee thought it was too petty to make a stink over it, so it became MGL.
I think it was Rep Hodgkins. What is interesting about the law it states that clubs holding a club LTC "must prohibit" human shaped target.

It does not prescribe a penalty for a club that fails to prohibit.
It does not prescribe a penalty for a club that does prohibit it but fails to actively enforce the rule
It does not prescribe a penalty for an individual who breaks such a rule at a club that has an LTC-A.

It appears to be more about making a statement than actually accomplishing anything.

I have been using human silhouette targets ever since I began shooting in 1977 and I will continue to use them as long as I can buy them. Anyone that doesn't like it can just close their eyes when I start shooting. [mg] [rofl]
My father saw the email and commented: "Isn't that the whole purpose of learning to shoot?" This is the most woke email I've seen coming out of a gun club.

Seriously.
The saving grace of the club is there are no official RO's. Everyone is supposed to act as an RO. Ive seen people speak out regarding safety issues but I dont think Ive ever seen any member make a stink about anything else (rapid fire, hi caps, or sil targets). Im curious what kicked this off tbh. Club leadership seems to be fuddish to say the least, They banned bump stocks post LV even before MA and the Feds did.

Keep putting them up and keep shooting,,,
anyone questions it just say it doesn’t have a face,,,

Right.

As I've already said, I think her target in the OP is legal (even according to their stupid rules), and as far as I can tell from the posts here, nobody from the club has said otherwise!!!

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

My father saw the email and commented: "Isn't that the whole purpose of learning to shoot?" This is the most woke email I've seen coming out of a gun club.
does that include the club Pres down on the south shore that said anyone using the facilities during covid would be reported to the police with a reccomendation their LTC be revoked?

The First Circuit opinion actually states it is the in governments interest to have people shoot at circular targets as humanoid targets will make persons more proficient at shooting humans.

Yes, they really said that.

The First Circuit opinion actually states it is the in governments interest to have people shoot at circular targets as humanoid targets will make persons more proficient at shooting humans.

Yes, they really said that.

I believe what you say, but I don't think it makes a difference. If I pick a point where I want my bullets to strike, that's where they will go, just the same, even if I'm imagining a circular target on someone's chest.
Target practice is target practice.

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

I think it was Rep Hodgkins. What is interesting about the law it states that clubs holding a club LTC "must prohibit" human shaped target.

It does not prescribe a penalty for a club that fails to prohibit.
It does not prescribe a penalty for a club that does prohibit it but fails to actively enforce the rule
It does not prescribe a penalty for an individual who breaks such a rule at a club that has an LTC-A.

It appears to be more about making a statement than actually accomplishing anything.
Wow

Back
Top Bottom