• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC question

Called the PD after recently submitting LTC. They said I was approved and sending it to the state. Does that mean I am all set just have to wait for licensure issuing? Thanks in Advance for any replies!
Also any recommendations for beginner courses in MA?(I live 20 min south of Boston)
Congrats. And props for looking for training.
I have taken classes at American Firearms School and Mass Firearms. AFS will be the closest to you.
But the best courses I took were at Sig Academy. It's worth the trip.

Don't get me wrong, AFS and MFS are both great facilities, and all of the instructors I met were good, but Sig is next level shit.
Hell, I can spend 30 minutes on the range with you, and with some practice and dry fire, you will be a decent shooter, but Sig offers real world training. Standing still, shooting at fixed targets, is great, but in the real world targets move, and you had better move too.
The Marine Corps helped me be pretty handy with a rifle, but we had very little handgun training. I thought I was hot shit until I took a force on force class at Sig. There is a lot more to it, but basically, an attacker starts from 21 feet away with a plastic knife and charges you. You have to draw and engage before he can stab you. It was very humbling. It doesn't sound that hard, but... well, lets just say that I got sick of hearing.. "You're dead"... and "You're dead again." LOL.

Congrats. And props for looking for training.
I have taken classes at American Firearms School and Mass Firearms. AFS will be the closest to you.
But the best courses I took were at Sig Academy. It's worth the trip.

Don't get me wrong, AFS and MFS are both great facilities, and all of the instructors I met were good, but Sig is next level shit.
Hell, I can spend 30 minutes on the range with you, and with some practice and dry fire, you will be a decent shooter, but Sig offers real world training. Standing still, shooting at fixed targets, is great, but in the real world targets move, and you had better move too.
The Marine Corps helped me be pretty handy with a rifle, but we had very little handgun training. I thought I was hot shit until I took a force on force class at Sig. There is a lot more to it, but basically, an attacker starts from 21 feet away with a plastic knife and charges you. You have to draw and engage before he can stab you. It was very humbling. It doesn't sound that hard, but... well, lets just say that I got sick of hearing.. "You're dead"... and "You're dead again." LOL.

Great stuff thank you!

I moved to a different state last year. Here they have open carry as well as concealed carry without a permit. I travel to surrounding states that have reciprocity agreements so I applied online and paid with a credit card. I immediately received an email acknowledging the application. Sixteen minutes later I received another email stating that my application had been approved. They used my drivers license photo and mailed the permit. I received it three days later. America!

You can also find some decent youtube videos from decent instructors, that can be useful. I am not saying they take the place of training, but there is lots of good info out there that will get you thinking about the fundamentals like grip, trigger pull and sight picture.
In theory, pistol shooting is simple. Acquire a proper sight picture and depress the trigger without moving the barrel.
In practice, because of the way fingers work, shifting the barrel is natural. And because the barrel is so short, a fraction of an inch at the barrel translates to inches down range. In general, the longer the barrel the easier the gun is to shoot accurately.
For most new shooters, proper grip and trigger pull can help with that. A thumbs forward, locked wrist grip, is not intuitive and takes a minute to get used to. Lena does a good job explaining.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4_jXS9yfCs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZhkA67CUcc

Man this is a great thread.I too am waiting for my LTC as a first time gun owner. My application has been with my local pd for 7 weeks now. Said they are so busy and short staffed. I’m told to expect it mid April. In the meantime I have been researching and watching as much stuff as I can. Def will take some training. These options provided are big help. Thanks all!

Man this is a great thread.I too am waiting for my LTC as a first time gun owner. My application has been with my local pd for 7 weeks now. Said they are so busy and short staffed. I’m told to expect it mid April. In the meantime I have been researching and watching as much stuff as I can. Def will take some training. These options provided are big help. Thanks all!
Definitely get an insurance. Also get more live training and courses. Meanwhile you can watch USCCA and Massad Ayoob’s training in YouTube as well.

In my town they are now delivering them to your house in person. Don't know how much I like that actually.

Something about seeing a police cruiser pulling up my driveway and a policeman standing at my door, I don't know???? I have nothing to hide but that whole scene can be stressful. And I do not need anymore stress in my life these days.

It depends on your technique.

May I suggest...

No, that doesn’t mean you got approved. I submitted mine and Police Chief approved and they sent it to Bureau for processing , then after 5-6 weeks I got a call from PD and they informed me that there is a something on my record which I didn’t mentioned in the form(I know it was my fault and lesson learned). So they declined me. Although in my case I got arrested but the DA didn’t file any charges because I was innocent.
The FRB also does a record check. Perhaps they found the arrest and informed the PD resulting in an approved application being unapproved.

I remember those days!
AFS offers a " learn to shoot package, for real short money and you DO NOT need a license. And they have a great selection of rental guns, which is awesome because for real short money you can try out a bunch of really popular guns, and those guns are well used, so you can tell what they will be like after you beat the shit outta them for 10 years. LOL.
MFS also has a great selection and I am pretty sure Cape Gun Works does too. You can also rent guns, no license required at Manchester Firing Line

It took almost 6 months for my LTC to arrive, back in the day, and I already knew exactly what I wanted to buy when my license came in, because I had rented them a few times and put a couple hundred rounds down the pipe. I picked up my LTC and drove straight to the gun store. I left with a Sig Sauer 226 and a Smith and Wesson 686 with a 4" barrel.
I still have both of those guns, still shoot them all the time, and I still love them.
The advice I always give new gun owners is, don't cheap out on the gun. Saving a couple of hundred bucks on a gun really doesn't matter because the price difference between a POS Ruger and a Sig, Glock or CZ, really only amounts to a few range trips worth of ammo. Handling the gun is key. Some guns just feel right in your hand.
That having been said, you don't have to drop $2k to get a decent handgun and there are lots of very good used guns on the market. I would rather buy a well cared for, used Sig P series for $700 than a POS Ruger new in the box for $600.
Last few pieces of advice and I will STFU and you can continue doing your research... check out Canik. I don't have one yet, but got to shoot one recently, and they shoot like they cost twice as much as they do. Everyone that buys one loves them. They are the new hotness.

Pew Pew Tactical has tons of honest gun reviews that are worth reading when you have narrowed down choices.

Shoot often and shoot safe

I applied for my PA non-resident online. In one hour, it was approved. Drove to the office, and after sitting for a photo, they handed me the license. 10 mins tops.
This is the way! Not in this state though lol. Anyone wonder if they are purposely taking this long to dissuade people from applying?

I remember those days!
AFS offers a " learn to shoot package, for real short money and you DO NOT need a license. And they have a great selection of rental guns, which is awesome because for real short money you can try out a bunch of really popular guns, and those guns are well used, so you can tell what they will be like after you beat the shit outta them for 10 years. LOL.
MFS also has a great selection and I am pretty sure Cape Gun Works does too. You can also rent guns, no license required at Manchester Firing Line

It took almost 6 months for my LTC to arrive, back in the day, and I already knew exactly what I wanted to buy when my license came in, because I had rented them a few times and put a couple hundred rounds down the pipe. I picked up my LTC and drove straight to the gun store. I left with a Sig Sauer 226 and a Smith and Wesson 686 with a 4" barrel.
I still have both of those guns, still shoot them all the time, and I still love them.
The advice I always give new gun owners is, don't cheap out on the gun. Saving a couple of hundred bucks on a gun really doesn't matter because the price difference between a POS Ruger and a Sig, Glock or CZ, really only amounts to a few range trips worth of ammo. Handling the gun is key. Some guns just feel right in your hand.
That having been said, you don't have to drop $2k to get a decent handgun and there are lots of very good used guns on the market. I would rather buy a well cared for, used Sig P series for $700 than a POS Ruger new in the box for $600.
Last few pieces of advice and I will STFU and you can continue doing your research... check out Canik. I don't have one yet, but got to shoot one recently, and they shoot like they cost twice as much as they do. Everyone that buys one loves them. They are the new hotness.

Pew Pew Tactical has tons of honest gun reviews that are worth reading when you have narrowed down choices.

Dude this is great info! So I can call and setup classes BEFORE i have my LTC?????? If that’s the case I’m calling today lol. I want to be well informed and ready to purchase day1.

I remember those days!

You could add, if there is room left, it's never the cost of the firearm, it's feeding it after you bring the baby home. I reload and haven't bought any in recent years but as in your above, a couple hundred, that's like 4 boxes of "OK" 357's for your 686. I use that one as in this case, when somebody really likes something but is willing to settle for something else that's in reality, very short money over time. Turns the lightbulb on.

I applied for my PA non-resident online. In one hour, it was approved. Drove to the office, and after sitting for a photo, they handed me the license. 10 mins tops.
Thats how its done ! Would be much better if no permit was needed. Like it should be !! But some so called smart people in office and courts can't read and understand the text in 2A.

Dude this is great info! So I can call and setup classes BEFORE i have my LTC?????? If that’s the case I’m calling today lol. I want to be well informed and ready to purchase day1.
Sorry for the delayed response. Went out to work in the yard....

The learn to shoot classes are only $40 bucks and they provide the gun & ammo. ( 22 caliber) About 90 minutes,

I am pretty sure they will let you use a rental and sell you the ammo for some of the other courses. Give them a call and ask. The "Essential Skills" course is $200 and is 5 hours long. It's worth it just so you don't waste a bunch of ammo!

And the people don't care because they get away with it. Not enough noise is made.
Remember. Yes, America is burning. That's how forests grow.
The problem is that even if enough noise was made, nothing will happen. There is no sanction upon any licensing authority that does not meet the statutory deadlines.

Yea sorry I am 20 min south of Boston looking for beginner pistol courses and concealed carry courses just want to get comfortable with handling a pistol and learn more of the laws.
Outer limits in Holbrook does classes. And on target Traing in East Bridgewater does classes I think.

You can call the Firearms License Application Status Hotline at (617) 660-4722 to check the status.

Patience is a virtue when it comes to MA LTC applications/renewals. My wife is on 5 months waiting on her renewal. She called the hotline several times and it is progressing but they told her that they are way behind.

There are a LOT of people in the pipeline right now.

There is no virtue in patience.

You start calling two weeks after application. Start with a weekly phone call and after the first 2, 3 calls they should increase to daily.

At some point the state will do their job and send the ltc to your PD. Now your calls shift to the local PD.

If you don't make the calls, your app and later your ltc will sit in someone's drawer for weeks, months on end. And make sure they hand you YOUR license. Last time I renewed in Framingham the clerk handed me somebody else's newly issued ltc. She did not apologize, just took it back and gave me mine.

You CALL, or you WAIT (longer than you will by calling, anyway)

There is no virtue in patience.

You start calling two weeks after application. Start with a weekly phone call and after the first 2, 3 calls they should increase to daily.

At some point the state will do their job and send the ltc to your PD. Now your calls shift to the local PD.

If you don't make the calls, your app and later your ltc will sit in someone's drawer for weeks, months on end. And make sure they hand you YOUR license. Last time I renewed in Framingham the clerk handed me somebody else's newly issued ltc. She did not apologize, just took it back and gave me mine.

You CALL, or you WAIT (longer than you will by calling, anyway)
My experience with my local PD is that being a PITA has a negative impact, not positive. The chief of police is the one who decides if he/(she in my case) is issuing the LTC, and I am not pissing her off.

I am not going to sit back forever, but I am not going to be a pest either. This is a small town, maybe your angle works in Framingham but I am not trying that approach around here. ;)

My experience with my local PD is that being a PITA has a negative impact, not positive. The chief of police is the one who decides if he/(she in my case) is issuing the LTC, and I am not pissing her off.

I am not going to sit back forever, but I am not going to be a pest either. This is a small town, maybe your angle works in Framingham but I am not trying that approach around here. ;)
I'm no longer there, and here it's irrelevant.

However, there are three phases: Your app at the PD. Your app being processed in Boston. Your LTC sitting in the drawer at your PD.

Your first few calls to Boston will establish just when THEY get the app from your town PD.

Your repeated calls to them will not affect your qualifications. You either get it or not. Zee knows damned well that you will stop calling as soon as you know that the printed LTC has been mailed to the PD. Hint. Hint.

Once he tells you it's been sent, a week later your PD damned well has it.

You do what you frigging feel like with those comments. Wait. Call. Post. It's all good man.

BTW, I've lived in small towns too. Dropping into the station or spotting the Chief at the market on Sunday is fair game, too.

Back
Top Bottom