M&M's Plimoth Bay Outfitters-Plymouth, MA

They're my favorite shop over all, my dad, brother and I have purchased 99% of our guns through them. They're all helpful and very knowledgeable and the prices seem fair, the ammo can be a bit high as mentioned before. All around a great shop.

I've bought a few guns from them. They're very nice to deal with and it's a well stocked store. However, they insist on charging sales tax on out of state transfers so I don't use them....I drive to Four Seasons for that.

I stopped in there today because I hadn't been in lately and instantly was drawn to the first part of the rifle rack. Lots of nice newer military rifles but then I saw the prices.[shocked]
I know shops will mark stuff up but some of the prices I saw in the store made me cringe, especially on ammo.
I always remembered them having fair prices or normal for most shops. Now it seems everything is through the roof!

It used to be a no-brainer....I'd gladly go there and pay a couple of bucks more for ammo, rather than going to Wal Mart and wasting 1/2 hour waiting for someone to help you at the ammo counter. Those were pretty much our only options for an ammo run without driving to another town.

Like most people I've had good and bad experiences with them over the 15 or so years I've been shopping there. Off-hand I'd say I've bought maybe 4-5 rifles and 4-5 handguns from them, as well as thousands of rounds of ammo, several holsters, a knife or two, and a lot of cleaning supplies. I bought an M-1 Garand there a few years ago and I remember Mark laying out all 3 of the very similar ones they had, going over the good and bad points of each to help me decide which one I wanted to go with. It's been my experience that he, while perhaps the most "gruff" and cold (on the surface anyhow) of the 3, seems to be the most knowledgeable. Sometimes you get service like that, and sometimes you get sort of put off....but I'm reasonable and I don't expect everyone to be all rainbows and smiles all the time.

I agree on the prices issue as well. Some items seem rather high....for example I remember the price tag on a S&W1911 back when they came out, which was a full $150 more than 4S and other stores were selling them for. I bought a new S&W 642 a couple of years ago and paid about $20 more than I would have at other places. You also are NOT going to make out by trading a gun in with them....but I'm fairly certain that's true at any shop. However if you look around you'll find other items priced seemingly in-line with other places. Their used pistols for example seemed to be priced very fairly the last few times I've been in there.

I don't hunt or fish but they seem to pack a pretty good selection of stuff in a relatively small space. As has been said they also carry a pretty wide selection of accessories....cleaning supplies, eye/ear protection, targets, storage, etc.

All in all I think it's a matter of just taking the good with the bad. Sometimes I find what I want and I'm happy with the price...so I grab it. Other times I walk away empty handed if I don't like the price. With some of the larger chain stores opening up in the area, maybe the increased competition will have an effect.

Parking is a bit of an issue though. You're pretty much guaranteed to not find an open space on the road out front. There are a couple of public lots within a minute's walk but they are usually full as well, especially during "tourist season" months. Not that I mind a walk, but I've never been comfortable leaving my vehicles parked too far away....personal issue I guess. Overall the shopping experience was far better at their previous location in Cordage Park.

Last edited:
I've bought a few guns from them. They're very nice to deal with and it's a well stocked store. However, they insist on charging sales tax on out of state transfers so I don't use them....I drive to Four Seasons for that.

Actually, they are doing it, correct.

I've bought 4 guns from M&M's over the past 2 years, and they have always been very helpful. I recently bought a used rifle from them that had alot of problems that I didn't realize until I brought her to the range. I drove back to their store about a week later, and was given store credit, they didn't give me any trouble about it, and helped me pick something else out. Very nice guys, I particularly enjoy chatting about pistols with the woman who works there, she was very friendly and helpful. Their prices on certain things are a bit high, but overall not terribly so, and for me living on the south shore, it's a hell of a lot closer than four seasons.

I live in Plymouth and drive to Four Seasons for all my gun purchases.

The cost of the drive is easily offset by the difference in prices.

For example, M&M is $80 to 100 higher than for an M&P than Four Seasons.

Four Seasons has a volume advantage, of course, but they create it with their pricing. Any gun store could do the same.

I've been in M&M maybe a dozen times. They're always friendly and helpful and I'll always buy some little thing or another if I'm not buying a gun.
I was really hoping to pick up that Barrett they were raffling off a few years ago!

I've been spending money at my usual shop for over 10 years and I'm still treated like a newbie sometimes. I guess some folks think anyone under 30 is still a young, dumb punk. [thinking]

I'll probably think the same when I'm older!

I've been to M&M a few times when it was in Cordage Park. Nice place, but boy, that old rope factory it was in was downright dead most of the time. Rarely saw any people! I'm not surprised they moved.

ace57

Stopped in today while visiting Plymouth. Seems to be a well-stocked shop, with a little of everything. Prices did seem a little high - especially ammo - but I guess that would be expected when you're the only game in town.

If I lived closer, I'd stop by often.

As far as local shops in this area go, I think next to Zero Hour, M&Ms seems to have the best selection of military rifles around. Lots of oddball stuff you don't see in most shops.
Not a lot of high end military guns like ZH and not as many, but they do usually have Saiga rifles, Romaks, and other special interest guns.

A not so pleasant experience.

I chose to update this and delete my comments based on an excellent visit today. Maybe I'm just in the holiday mood.

Last edited:
I went out of my way today to try to spend some money at this store. I was looking for some targets, accessories, and an air rifle. I looked at an air rfile, and as it was sealed in plastic, I could not check the owners manual so I asked the salesperson ( big guy, personality of a DELETED ) a question. I wasn't certain of his answer so I asked again and said "are you sure" it works that way ? I had already explained that I don't live nearby so I need to understand if it is what I need before I leave. I don't know what I did wrong, but that certainly set him off ! I politely thanked him for his time and left the store. I doubt that I will return soon. Must have been a bad day in Plymouth.

the guy with the glasses is a DICK!!!! hes just as bad as the owner of middleboro gun shop dont disagree with him or he will be a bastard to you.

I had a good experience there today. Just as I've posted in this section about bad ones, it's only fair to also post about the good ones.

I was about to buy a Fobus holster for one of my pistols. At the check out, the woman (I think her name is Judy) mentioned that if I was interested in used, she had one behind the counter for 1/2 what I was about to pay. I also had grabbed 10 100 yard rifle targets for some sighting-in work with my M1 and '03 Springfield. She mentioned that buying a dozen would have been cheaper than buying 10.

She could have easily kept it to herself and they would have made an extra $15 or so off me today. Not to mention, the stars must have aligned just right for me today, because for the first time in the 8 years or so they've been in the current location, a parking spot was wide open right there in front.

On another note, we bought my wife a new S&W M&P there last month. The price was clearly marked $549. I was going to buy it anyhow, as to me the $60 I could have saved at Four Seasons wasn't worth the gas and time. The guy...not Mark, the other taller guy with glasses, told us AFTER we said we'd take it, that it was on sale for $500 even. I was taken aback a bit, because once again, I would never have known the better and he was under no specific onus to tell us.

I definitely miss the old M&M at Cordage (sic) Park, they had better prices & selection. P.B.O.'s prices are a little high, but I've had good experiences with the counter help, haven't run into the "guy with glasses" yet. If you're in the area the place is worth a swing through, not really worth a lengthy trip.

Indeed, parking was so much easier at the Cordage location. The store was also much larger so everything was laid out easier and less congested. I don't mind having to walk a bit to get to the current store, but I HATE leaving my vehicles all that far out of my sight in busy downtown areas. Not to mention I always get a little self concious when I walk out of there with a rifle and have to walk a couple of blocks.....

Funny how everyone has a story about the staff that works there...I too have been in there numerous times and mostly I look at pistols that I can't afford but usually buy something like paper targets and a box or two of ammo. Nothing special and nothing too expensive so I guess that's why when I ask to hold and look at handguns that tall guy with the glasses "always" has this look on his face and a bit of an attitude cause he knows I'm not buying.
Funny thing is I looked at his stuff a few months back and his prices are pretty high on everything new or used....which is why I shop and buy at The Shooters Box. [rofl]

Just wanted to add my two cents. I purchased my nhm-91 from them and bulk amo. On both occasions they were very helpful and friendly. I find their prices on riffles to be pretty competitive and they have a pretty good selection. I would and will go back again.

Purchased two guns there. Ammo prices are ridiculous, but firearms are fairly competitive. (to other local shops- not Four Seasons) I try to avoid the glasses guy (peter?), but I find Judy and the other guy to be very nice and helpful.

Purchased two guns there. Ammo prices are ridiculous, but firearms are fairly competitive. (to other local shops- not Four Seasons) I try to avoid the glasses guy (peter?), but I find Judy and the other guy to be very nice and helpful.

Agreed that judy and the other guy are very helpful. I purchased my nhm-91 a few weeks ago from there and judy was very helpful and pleasant. As far as ammo prices go i thought for the most part it was par with everyone else. Some were a bit more and some a bit less. I bought a case of 1000 7.62x39 for about $280. I found that to be about $40 less than a few other shops i went to. Overall i would recommend going there if you are in the area and try to avoid the man with the glasses he always looks miserable.

Agreed that judy and the other guy are very helpful. I purchased my nhm-91 a few weeks ago from there and judy was very helpful and pleasant. As far as ammo prices go i thought for the most part it was par with everyone else. Some were a bit more and some a bit less. I bought a case of 1000 7.62x39 for about $280. I found that to be about $40 less than a few other shops i went to. Overall i would recommend going there if you are in the area and try to avoid the man with the glasses he always looks miserable.

+1 ammo prices are high everywhere but i dont think there that more expensive than any other shop around, dave and judy are the best, petes (guy with glasses) very cold and somtimes a bit pissy but he knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Pete's a good guy, he just has to warm up to you like he has to me. [grin] It could be my sunny disposition, or the fact that I spend thousands of dollars there. [wink] Judy's great, and so is Dave, real knowledgeable and usually good for a laugh.

Judy has always been extremely helpful. For the most part, I am willing to pay a few bucks more driving six minutes down the road than an hour to four seasons for ammo. The few bucks saved is quickly voided after burning the fuel to get to four seasons.

positive review

Since getting my C&R several years ago and then discovering the milsurp inventory at P.B.O it's become almost an automatic stop on any trip to downtown Plymouth. Peter, Judy and Dave have always been helpful and friendly always taking time to answer questions and show rifles. I've added to my collection in a meaningful way with several excellent deals found on their racks and am always happy to spend time and cash with them.

Spent the past few days in Plymouth and stopped in to see what they had in stock. A little bit of everything and some hard to find items (from cleaning supplies to gun boxes). Good selection or C&R items. Firearm prices were average but the surplus ammo prices were insane. Overall worth the trip.
Mil-Dot

They always have a good selection of new and used firearms. I was joking with them the other day due to the fact this week was the first time the pistol cabnet looks "bare" with one shelf completely free of anything..

Like others have said, Judy and Dave are great and friendly, Peter needs warming up to, but he is a fair guy.

Just wanted to say ive had nothing but positive experiences from M&M's. Last week i bought my first gun from there. Peter was very helpful and answered all of my questions. In fact i was so pleased with the service i went back today and picked up a wasr 10.

Back
Top Bottom