M1 Garand Megathread

Anyone have any favorite books they would recommend? Specifically on the M1? I know all the info is available online, but I'm a paper kind of guy and love reference material. Looking for something that covers all varieties of parts/manufacturers.

1624270133250.png

Last edited:
Settled in at 4 up and 4 left , 6 Oclock Hold.
My 3 moa-ish hold doesnt help much
View attachment 494158
Heres some more stuff

Order packet sent just before 4/1, just got my confirmation email today. Best bit of good news I've had in a while! Puts me almost exactly at 12 weeks so far.

Hopefully I have no issues since I hadn't received a copy of my renewed C&R by the time I had sent out the forms.

Can be dependent on what you ordered

cmp told me way back in feb 10-12 weeks BEFORE the confirmantion THEN 4-6 weeks before delivery
Almost 12 weeks to the day before the DBU then the rifle arrived darn near 4 weeks later so right on the money on the longer side

I’m thinking toward the end of the week or even next week. No huge rush cause I have plenty of projects in the hopper. Yup if I keep telling myself that….

Dont call, you will just slow them down
This is absolutely true. But, I've also seen orders go into CMP Purgatory. Usually related to Notary issues or expired time on file that went unreconciled.
It was not a bad thing to make sure that there weren't any holdups that could be taken care of with a phone call; followed by a pleasant "Thank you!" and "My apologies, for calling..."

This was of course pre-covid, pre-Filipino M1s, pre-IHCs, pre-1911s, pre-bayos, pre-M2 AP, etc.... and during normal times...

~Enbloc

This is absolutely true. But, I've also seen orders go into CMP Purgatory. Usually related to Notary issues or expired time on file that went unreconciled.
It was not a bad thing to make sure that there weren't any holdups that could be taken care of with a phone call; followed by a pleasant "Thank you!" and "My apologies, for calling..."

This was of course pre-covid, pre-Filipino M1s, pre-IHCs, pre-1911s, pre-bayos, pre-M2 AP, etc.... and during normal times...

~Enbloc
You are absolutely correct that such things can happen, but usually they are very, very good at contacting buyers to correct an issue that's holding up the transaction.

The new order timeline thread on CMP's forum, Garand section, is the best place to check in and determine if your order should be coming to the surface anytime soon.

Appears that ICH SG DBU's (email notifying receipt of order jokingly referred to as 'don't bother us' email) are taking almost exactly 3 months, so my ~4/7 order might get a DBU in the next week or two.

You are absolutely correct that such things can happen, but usually they are very, very good at contacting buyers to correct an issue that's holding up the transaction.

The new order timeline thread on CMP's forum, Garand section, is the best place to check in and determine if your order should be coming to the surface anytime soon.

Appears that ICH SG DBU's (email notifying receipt of order jokingly referred to as 'don't bother us' email) are taking almost exactly 3 months, so my ~4/7 order might get a DBU in the next week or two.
QFT

Priceless it is and it will stay unfired. Wondering about worth for insurance purposes. I have two cmps I shoot
I’m my opinion, you should still shoot it.

In other news, I got my bi-monthly issue of Handloader Magazine today (not to be confused with my subscription to Hand-Jobber weekly) and there was quite a bit of M1 data in one of the articles if anyone is interested?

I’m my opinion, you should still shoot it.

In other news, I got my bi-monthly issue of Handloader Magazine today (not to be confused with my subscription to Hand-Jobber weekly) and there was quite a bit of M1 data in one of the articles if anyone is interested?
Hey kids- don't fall for it. He's going to ask to circle 'round.

OK, joking aside- anything particularly interesting from that article? Unusual loads / projectiles?

Hey kids- don't fall for it. He's going to ask to circle 'round.

OK, joking aside- anything particularly interesting from that article? Unusual loads / projectiles?
Nothing I would consider unusual...kinda wish there was (like 110/125gr data for plinking). There’s a few ‘projectile specific’ data sets that could prove to be interesting if anyone has a few of something laying around though. image.jpg image.jpg

Trying to get pictures of the waxy pages without a glare was basically impossible, but I think these came out OK. Maybe help some new guys out there hopefully?

ETA, the 180 data isn’t something I’ve seen before...not really anything I’m interested in trying personally, but it’s something different.

I’m currently utilizing the spaghetti Krieger load of 46.5gr H4895 behind 155 Nosler CC’s with standard CCI LRP’s.

Nothing I would consider unusual...kinda wish there was (like 110/125gr data for plinking). There’s a few ‘projectile specific’ data sets that could prove to be interesting if anyone has a few of something laying around though.View attachment 497683View attachment 497685

Trying to get pictures of the waxy pages without a glare was basically impossible, but I think these came out OK. Maybe help some new guys out there hopefully?
All the good solid loads- a good reference & I'll print it out.

Interesting that I bumped my Varget loads to 47.0 grains w/ 168's.

All the good solid loads- a good reference & I'll print it out.

Interesting that I bumped my Varget loads to 47.0 grains w/ 168's.
My 200yd load w/Varget and 168’s was 43gr’s, lol. Franco gave me a lot of shit over it, but it’s a damn accurate load out of most of my Garands (have yet to try it in a couple others). Had a few issues cycling in one of my rifles, but the rest eat it up and function perfectly.

My 200yd load w/Varget and 168’s was 43gr’s, lol. Franco gave me a lot of shit over it, but it’s a damn accurate load out of most of my Garands (have yet to try it in a couple others). Had a few issues cycling in one of my rifles, but the rest eat it up and function perfectly.
That function issue was not the 43 gn load.
Especially Varget it has enough port pressure even at 38gns.

Varget/h4895 and 155s seem to work well.
If I discussed my loading info with franco he probably stop talking to me all together.

You'll get the Good Skinflinting Seal of Approval from Mac. [laugh]

I tried some 110's reduced load plinking rounds and they sucked, but maybe I need more powder. Seems like there was inconsistent ignition.

Oddly, that 1:12 Kreiger barrel seems to be shooting better with 168's but maybe if I loaded the 155's a little hotter they'd do better. The 168's did tighten up a little going from 46.5 to 47.0 grains. For now I'm sticking with the 47.0 Varget and 168 TMK's. After Perry I'll be shooting the HRA with 168 blems and HXP brass.

I'm gonna shoot the 125 TNTs with 48.0 of 4064 at Perry for my Garand and 1903A3. Got out and did some testing in slow prone last week with good results.

Good for you. I've called CMP 3 times in 23 years. I don't make a habit of it, but sometimes you just have to make sure there wasn't a SNAFU...

Thanks for the update. Others will be grateful for the info.
~Enbloc

Good for you. I've called CMP 3 times in 23 years. I don't make a habit of it, but sometimes you just have to make sure there wasn't a SNAFU...

Thanks for the update. Others will be grateful for the info.
~Enbloc
CMP must have anticipated a up tick in phone calls, I was about to call tomorrow/Friday about a ammo order Placed on 2/24 , since I have the day off.
Well woodnchano.....i gots a shipping notice today

Back
Top Bottom