M1 Garand Megathread

I honestly held off for as long as I could but got itchy when I saw some of the dates in the new order timeline. Lady was really nice and friendly.

I dropped them a line today and was really nice and apologetic. The lady at CMP said they are currently working the 3/15 bin and mine was received on 4/5 and to be patient. I hope this helps anyone that is currently waiting for a service grade.

Jay
If you check the M1 order thread on CMP' forum, orders received early April are getting DBU emails. Probably the mid March orders are actually being fulfilled?

Off topic but related
Ammo order from 2/24 will be here monday
Crazy long lead time for that, but on the positive side you can order and forget about it. Clicking through endless sites / web pages to find something in stock and snag it before it's gone gets old. I'm still waiting on 200 rounds of Creedmoor/Lapua 308 that I ordered on St. Paddy's. Guess I have another month to go. That stuff is lights out accurate in M1A's and 308 M1's.

I should be getting a DBU (don't bother us we are working on your order email) any day now for the service grade tractor gun. I think it will need an emblem on the stock for authenticity-

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Crazy long lead time for that, but on the positive side you can order and forget about it. Clicking through endless sites / web pages to find something in stock and snag it before it's gone gets old. I'm still waiting on 200 rounds of Creedmoor/Lapua 308 that I ordered on St. Paddy's. Guess I have another month to go. That stuff is lights out accurate in M1A's and 308 M1's.

I should be getting a DBU (don't bother us we are working on your order email) any day now for the service grade tractor gun. I think it will need an emblem on the stock for authenticity-

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg
Sorry no pics but my buddy bought a new stock for his IHC rifle and it laser cut into his stock his grandfather worked for IHC from 13 years around WWII through the 70s . His family is originally from indiana. His grandfather says he was in shipping facility and was buddy buddy with the guy in charge of testing M1s and at lunch would often get to shoot some.

Last edited:
Sorry no pics but my buddy bought a new stock for his IHC rifle and it laser cut into his stock his grandfather worked for IHC from 13 years
That's a great idea. I should have requested USGI wood, so it comes with another CMP stock I'd be perfectly happy to mess with the stock with such a logo. I operated IHC equipment on my grandparents' farm for many years.

That hackberry abomination I have is going to get that pink dye or something equally obnoxious.

Here is my IHC Service Grade that I have now owned for exactly one month (received from FedEx on June 11). I have replaced the rear hand guard with a Fulton Armory Lightweight Scout Rail so that I have a light and modern 2-point sling attachment point. I actually do not plan to mount a scope or red dot. I think the iron sights on the Garand are great, but I did make one modification: I took the front sight post to a precision machine shop to mill a vertical line. I have similar front sights on my pistols and AR-15, and I find it helps tremendously for both precision accuracy and fast sight acquisition. My groups tightened up with the new front sight, and I can reliably hit a bullseye at 50 yards.

I also bought a bayonet from Fulton Armory, which is a genuine issue M5A1 for the Garand, but it arrived duller than a butter knife. I do have stones, but I don’t have a belt grinder or the time for a reprofiling job like that, so I sent the bayonet to my favorite sharpener, who put a razor point and primary edge on it. He did bring the swedge back, but did not sharpen it; this is Massachusetts, and I didn’t want to risk having a “double edged” “dagger.” It is now service ready and sits on my “self-defense” chest rig.

Shooting the Garand is a blast, but I put 32 rounds (4 clips) downrange today, and it is a beast of a rifle! I felt the last clip of rounds. The gun weighs approximately half a ton as configured with bayonet, scout rail, accessories, and a full clip. I’ve been working out a lot lately, and I’ve been carrying the Garand. Despite her girth and her roar, she's probably my favorite gun right now.

a1hgL7b.jpg

5MkDsL6.jpg

8dOwFwg.jpg

IIRpaDm.jpg

ZYWNRDJ.jpg

u51az2A.jpg

v1bxrEE.jpg

3Y9z4eM.jpg

y3hHfNG.jpg

9Hro4qY.jpg

S446kXu.jpg

@GVT1967, love your rifle and your gear. Photos are excellent!

She looks ready for some serious business...

Post up some target/grouping pix if you are so inclined.

Thanks,
~Enbloc

I bought this old M1 Garand tool online. It was completely caked in Cosmoline and wrapped in what looked like parchment paper. The Cosmoline was very dark and as hard as lacquer in some locations, and the paper looked like it came from the same place they found the Dead Sea scrolls. I soaked it for four days straight in a closed container of acetone. I checked it each day, and it really did take that long for the Cosmoline to loosen up enough to scrape it off. After that, it all came off easily with a bronze brush. I highly recommend this method, rather than the labor-intensive methods I see promoted online of using mineral spirits and hot water and scrubbing for hours.

View attachment 493662

Once it was rinsed off, dried, and got a drop of oil in the joints, I took a closer look! It looks to be very well-made. The steel is thick, and the thing feels very substantial in the hand. It does not look or feel cheap or unsubstantial, at all. The reason I bought this is because I kept hearing that the new, plastic, ratchet-type Garand chamber brushes are flimsy and eventually break. This thing is not going to break in that way. It was clearly made to last. It has already come in handy, as I used the gas plug tool to remove the gas plug the first time I cleaned the gun! I couldn't get it off with a screwdriver. The gas plug tool fits perfectly to the gas plug, and that gave me what I needed to finally get the thing loose.

View attachment 493663

View attachment 493664

View attachment 493665

View attachment 493667

I can now post a review of this tool. It is amazing. The more I explore the Garand and its components and accessories, the more I appreciate the craftsmanship and thoughtfulness involved in this weapon system's development. They really thought things out back then and expected things to last. This tool is indestructible. It is an Italian military model, which you can tell because of the hex key where the rivet normally would be. This hex key was used to maintain the gas system on the BM59, which was based on the Garand, and ended up making the Italian M3A1 combination tool much stronger than the original USGI version! I also figured out what all of the tools do. You can take the bolt apart with either the screwdriver or the notches in the brush end, you can use the driver to completely disassemble the weapon, reinstall the ejector and extractor, etc. You can use the little pronged tool to remove the clips on the wooden hand guards without destroying them, etc. The chamber brush is high-quality and will last a long time. But it is also replaceable! Drift the pin out and replace the brush as needed, and this tool will last a lifetime. I am very impressed and would highly recommend the M3A1 combination tool if you own a Garand. You can buy an Italian one (the best kind due to the strong hex key design) for less than $40, and it should last you for your lifetime.

Here is my IHC Service Grade that I have now owned for exactly one month (received from FedEx on June 11). I have replaced the rear hand guard with a Fulton Armory Lightweight Scout Rail so that I have a light and modern 2-point sling attachment point. I actually do not plan to mount a scope or red dot. I think the iron sights on the Garand are great, but I did make one modification: I took the front sight post to a precision machine shop to mill a vertical line. I have similar front sights on my pistols and AR-15, and I find it helps tremendously for both precision accuracy and fast sight acquisition. My groups tightened up with the new front sight, and I can reliably hit a bullseye at 50 yards.

I also bought a bayonet from Fulton Armory, which is a genuine issue M5A1 for the Garand, but it arrived duller than a butter knife. I do have stones, but I don’t have a belt grinder or the time for a reprofiling job like that, so I sent the bayonet to my favorite sharpener, who put a razor point and primary edge on it. He did bring the swedge back, but did not sharpen it; this is Massachusetts, and I didn’t want to risk having a “double edged” “dagger.” It is now service ready and sits on my “self-defense” chest rig.

Shooting the Garand is a blast, but I put 32 rounds (4 clips) downrange today, and it is a beast of a rifle! I felt the last clip of rounds. The gun weighs approximately half a ton as configured with bayonet, scout rail, accessories, and a full clip. I’ve been working out a lot lately, and I’ve been carrying the Garand. Despite her girth and her roar, she's probably my favorite gun right now.

a1hgL7b.jpg

5MkDsL6.jpg

8dOwFwg.jpg

IIRpaDm.jpg

ZYWNRDJ.jpg

u51az2A.jpg

v1bxrEE.jpg

3Y9z4eM.jpg

y3hHfNG.jpg

9Hro4qY.jpg

S446kXu.jpg
im all for anything keeping them shooting

Must say this: you are aware bayonets are not supposed to have a edge. The steel does not hold the edge well as it is. Anyhow many have been sharpened over the centuries. My dad had buckets of old bayonets for tent pegs. I keep hoping they turn up but they are long gone Im sure. My Dad treated military surplus as that surplus gear to be used and abused and tossed when not useful.

No get that M1 over to OCSA for a good old test run.

@GVT1967, love your rifle and your gear. Photos are excellent!

She looks ready for some serious business...

Post up some target/grouping pix if you are so inclined.

Thanks,
~Enbloc

Thanks, Enbloc! Well, I didn't think 50 yard targets would be impressive, but I think I'm going back to the range tomorrow with my cousin to try the 100 and 200 yard targets. That will be a better test of how the new front sight affects my accuracy with this rifle, especially since I have previously posted pics of my 200 yard targets here, so we can compare.

im all for anything keeping them shooting

Must say this: you are aware bayonets are not supposed to have a edge. The steel does not hold the edge well as it is. Anyhow many have been sharpened over the centuries. My dad had buckets of old bayonets for tent pegs. I keep hoping they turn up but they are long gone Im sure. My Dad treated military surplus as that surplus gear to be used and abused and tossed when not useful.

No get that M1 over to OCSA for a good old test run.

Yes, there isn't much of an edge on it due to the geometry. It is mostly a stabbing tool, and we kept a very obtuse angle on the edge as a result. But it does have a functional edge for emergency duty as a knife.

Thanks, Enbloc! Well, I didn't think 50 yard targets would be impressive, but I think I'm going back to the range tomorrow with my cousin to try the 100 and 200 yard targets. That will be a better test of how the new front sight affects my accuracy with this rifle, especially since I have previously posted pics of my 200 yard targets here, so we can compare.
your 50 yard zero should be darn near on at 200 yards, maybe a click or 2 depending on light and target choice.

I generally don't use the long-range adjustments on the rear sight, neither with my Garand nor my ARs, as I am not a long-distance shooter. I shoot 200 yards and in, and most of my shots on animals were never more than 100 yards. So I tend to use ballistic data, as I have access to a chronograph and good ballistic calculators. Hornady's says I should be 4.5 inches low at 200 yards if zeroed at 50. Of course, using a Garand's iron sights, that means basically just hold slightly high of my intended target at that range. I tend to rely on Kentucky windage when leading or shooting wind, too. That gets me close enough for government work. One day, I might try to learn how to use the sights the official way and try reaching out to 500 or so.

I generally don't use the long-range adjustments on the rear sight, neither with my Garand nor my ARs, as I am not a long-distance shooter. I shoot 200 yards and in, and most of my shots on animals were never more than 100 yards. So I tend to use ballistic data, as I have access to a chronograph and good ballistic calculators. Hornady's says I should be 4.5 inches low at 200 yards if zeroed at 50. Of course, using a Garand's iron sights, that means basically just hold slightly high of my intended target at that range. I tend to rely on Kentucky windage when leading or shooting wind, too. That gets me close enough for government work. One day, I might try to learn how to use the sights the official way and try reaching out to 500 or so.
you really dont need anything fancy for your basic ammo and come ups. There is a ballistic calculator on the left dial.
For basic s
100 yd zero
100-200 , 2 min
200-300 , 3 min
300-600, 11 min
Roughly it will get you close enough to make final adjustments

Last edited:
I just put her on a scale with a full clip of M2 ball and the bayonet, sling, and weapon light = 12.2 lbs. Not a lightweight carry option, but the more I handle her and shoot her, the more I can see her being my choice in a SHTF scenario. If I were a bad guy, I think I would think twice about attacking a man with a bayonet-equipped M1 Garand. From what I've understood, soldiers and Marines who fielded the Garand (sometimes with a much longer and heavier bayonet than the M5A1 I have) did complain about the weight of the rifle until their first engagement, after which they had nothing but praise for the weapon's capability: the ability to put semi-auto 30-06 rounds on targets from contact distance to 500 yards. I hope I am never caught between a rock and a hard spot, but an M1 Garand (with extra clips, such as on my rig) is probably a good friend to have in such a situation.

I just put her on a scale with a full clip of M2 ball and the bayonet, sling, and weapon light = 12.2 lbs. Not a lightweight carry option, but the more I handle her and shoot her, the more I can see her being my choice in a SHTF scenario. If I were a bad guy, I think I would think twice about attacking a man with a bayonet-equipped M1 Garand. From what I've understood, soldiers and Marines who fielded the Garand (sometimes with a much longer and heavier bayonet than the M5A1 I have) did complain about the weight of the rifle until their first engagement, after which they had nothing but praise for the weapon's capability: the ability to put semi-auto 30-06 rounds on targets from contact distance to 500 yards. I hope I am never caught between a rock and a hard spot, but an M1 Garand (with extra clips, such as on my rig) is probably a good friend to have in such a situation.
Good old iron and wood rifles are heavy from the krag to the M14 all at that roughly 9lb mark naked.
My great uncle once said , once you finish training your rifle is just another part of you. You dont notice the weight .
Now depending on where you are and what your doing what weapon you have can make a difference.
He was in northern Italy
In the mountains and forest the rifle be it m1917,1903 or M1 was good to have
In the larger towns where crawling in and out if crumbling stone buildings the carbine was a good addition.
In the end he said we grabbed what we had ammo for.

a1hgL7b.jpg

5MkDsL6.jpg

8dOwFwg.jpg

IIRpaDm.jpg

ZYWNRDJ.jpg

u51az2A.jpg

v1bxrEE.jpg

3Y9z4eM.jpg

y3hHfNG.jpg

9Hro4qY.jpg

S446kXu.jpg
Wicked! Wow, you have bred classic and modern to create a serious FrankenM1!

This is what I have been feeding my M1 Garand. It cycles and fires with no problems, is pretty consistent, and burns pretty clean. For the price, I’ll take it. It is Serbian-made PPU M2 ball ammo. I have a chronograph, and I am getting average velocity at the muzzle of 2711 FPS, so it appears to be in line with Garand ball standards. The extreme spread is 59 FPS, and the Standard Deviation is 23 FPS.

rG3LemK.jpg

Today, we shot 10% ballistic gel (3x16” clear blocks lined up end-to-end) to see how this ammo performed out of an M1 Garand. We know that 30-06 wildly surpasses the energies required to meet the FBI standard, and it isn’t in the same category as the handguns the gel tests were devised for, but nevertheless, we have the blocks and the melting kit, so we were curious to see what would happen. Ballistic gel tests do also give you some indication of what a bullet will do in a human body. The block on the right is a new block. The block in the middle is our first attempt at melting and reusing a block. The block on the left is our latest attempt, which turned out much better.

AefTa6O.jpg

I thought the blocks would stop the round due to the high velocity and unsure integrity of the Serbian FMJ bullet. I though there was a chance the bullet would deform and maybe even split at the cannelure or fragment. My cousin thought it would go right through. In fact, the bullet stopped at about the 26” mark in the second block. It did not penetrate into the third block. It deformed, but it did not break or fragment, except for a small piece of lead at the base. The wound channel is very good, and the round clearly dumps most of its energy into the first block and comes to a stop in the second block. At lower velocities, this bullet would probably sail through the blocks. I certainly wouldn’t want to get shot with this round at 2711 FPS.

F2WtIMF.jpg

NHt7YgQ.jpg

QsWNz4z.jpg

w4yNyIX.jpg

ba4Ovar.jpg

cNlBvIe.jpg

My cousin brought his old Colt single action black powder revolver, and so we shot it over the chronograph and into the gel blocks for the heck of it. He does carry it, so he should know the ballistic performance, anyway. He was shooting Hornady 144gr lead round balls over 35 grains of black powder. There was wide deviation in the velocities of the lead balls coming out of the Colt (extreme spread of 186 FPS). Average velocity was 710 FPS. We then shot the gel blocks. As you can see, the wound track is pretty much a straight line with no “tissue trauma” beyond the wound hole. The round ball did not deform, at all, and stopped at about 24” in the second block. Contrast that with the wound channel of the 30-06 from the Garand (massive energy difference, of course). Well, our test did show that the 144gr lead black powder ball would penetrate sufficiently for anti-personnel work. Of course, we know the round is effective because of recorded history, but it’s nice to confirm ballistics with one’s own eyes.

Amd1YZ8.jpg

We also shot for accuracy with the Garand. This was my 4-shot group from the bench at 50 yards with iron sights. My cousin originally covered up my shots when he went downrange to put up another target, so I had to remove them again to get the picture of my group. This is about as good as I can currently do.

0r8jhfU.jpg

This is what I have been feeding my M1 Garand. It cycles and fires with no problems, is pretty consistent, and burns pretty clean. For the price, I’ll take it. It is Serbian-made PPU M2 ball ammo. I have a chronograph, and I am getting average velocity at the muzzle of 2711 FPS, so it appears to be in line with Garand ball standards. The extreme spread is 59 FPS, and the Standard Deviation is 23 FPS.

rG3LemK.jpg

Today, we shot 10% ballistic gel (3x16” clear blocks lined up end-to-end) to see how this ammo performed out of an M1 Garand. We know that 30-06 wildly surpasses the energies required to meet the FBI standard, and it isn’t in the same category as the handguns the gel tests were devised for, but nevertheless, we have the blocks and the melting kit, so we were curious to see what would happen. Ballistic gel tests do also give you some indication of what a bullet will do in a human body. The block on the right is a new block. The block in the middle is our first attempt at melting and reusing a block. The block on the left is our latest attempt, which turned out much better.

AefTa6O.jpg

I thought the blocks would stop the round due to the high velocity and unsure integrity of the Serbian FMJ bullet. I though there was a chance the bullet would deform and maybe even split at the cannelure or fragment. My cousin thought it would go right through. In fact, the bullet stopped at about the 26” mark in the second block. It did not penetrate into the third block. It deformed, but it did not break or fragment, except for a small piece of lead at the base. The wound channel is very good, and the round clearly dumps most of its energy into the first block and comes to a stop in the second block. At lower velocities, this bullet would probably sail through the blocks. I certainly wouldn’t want to get shot with this round at 2711 FPS.

F2WtIMF.jpg

NHt7YgQ.jpg

QsWNz4z.jpg

w4yNyIX.jpg

ba4Ovar.jpg

cNlBvIe.jpg

My cousin brought his old Colt single action black powder revolver, and so we shot it over the chronograph and into the gel blocks for the heck of it. He does carry it, so he should know the ballistic performance, anyway. He was shooting Hornady 144gr lead round balls over 35 grains of black powder. There was wide deviation in the velocities of the lead balls coming out of the Colt (extreme spread of 186 FPS). Average velocity was 710 FPS. We then shot the gel blocks. As you can see, the wound track is pretty much a straight line with no “tissue trauma” beyond the wound hole. The round ball did not deform, at all, and stopped at about 24” in the second block. Contrast that with the wound channel of the 30-06 from the Garand (massive energy difference, of course). Well, our test did show that the 144gr lead black powder ball would penetrate sufficiently for anti-personnel work. Of course, we know the round is effective because of recorded history, but it’s nice to confirm ballistics with one’s own eyes.

Amd1YZ8.jpg

We also shot for accuracy with the Garand. This was my 4-shot group from the bench at 50 yards with iron sights. My cousin originally covered up my shots when he went downrange to put up another target, so I had to remove them again to get the picture of my group. This is about as good as I can currently do.

0r8jhfU.jpg
Keep at it, PPU is good ammo . I have scored a few gold medal trinket scores with it. Read up on the accuracy tweaks you can do to the M1 and practice.
work on solid sight picture, front sight focus and trigger control

I can now post a review of this tool. It is amazing. The more I explore the Garand and its components and accessories, the more I appreciate the craftsmanship and thoughtfulness involved in this weapon system's development. They really thought things out back then and expected things to last. This tool is indestructible. It is an Italian military model, which you can tell because of the hex key where the rivet normally would be. This hex key was used to maintain the gas system on the BM59, which was based on the Garand, and ended up making the Italian M3A1 combination tool much stronger than the original USGI version! I also figured out what all of the tools do. You can take the bolt apart with either the screwdriver or the notches in the brush end, you can use the driver to completely disassemble the weapon, reinstall the ejector and extractor, etc. You can use the little pronged tool to remove the clips on the wooden hand guards without destroying them, etc. The chamber brush is high-quality and will last a long time. But it is also replaceable! Drift the pin out and replace the brush as needed, and this tool will last a lifetime. I am very impressed and would highly recommend the M3A1 combination tool if you own a Garand. You can buy an Italian one (the best kind due to the strong hex key design) for less than $40, and it should last you for your lifetime.

Nice work and glad you are enjoying your M1. Nice to see someone have fun with it and modify according to their needs. Traditionalists be damned! LOL...

Yes they can be a bit hefty but sans the bayo and light it will be more reasonable. My Grandfather lugged one + ammo and other gear through jungles and mountains on South Pacific islands during WWII. Not a big guy, in fact is nickname was Sgt. Peewee- but he did have biceps like baseballs and was tough as nails. The M1 never failed him in heavy fighting against the Japanese. His boots rotted and failed from the jungle conditions, but the Garand never had a problem.

Sent in for my first.. a service grade. Sent 4/1, USPS said it was received by a “lady” 4/8/21. Nothing since. I should call them as the club I put is no longer on their list but was when I applied. My other club is still there. Should’ve referenced both. Fingers crossed.

Sent in for my first.. a service grade. Sent 4/1, USPS said it was received by a “lady” 4/8/21. Nothing since. I should call them as the club I put is no longer on their list but was when I applied. My other club is still there. Should’ve referenced both. Fingers crossed.
I sent miy app in on 3/29/21 for a service grade. I sent an email yesterday and was told received on 4/1/21. I should be good.

Just email them (at [email protected]) a note stating that the club you used is no longer on their list but you are member of another club that is and include a pdf or jpg of your club ID. They will be happy to update your info for you.

Just email them (at [email protected]) a note stating that the club you used is no longer on their list but you are member of another club that is and include a pdf or jpg of your club ID. They will be happy to update your info for you.
I just sent the email. See what happens. Sent extra evidence related to what they ask for. Hope it works!

Back
Top Bottom