M1 Garand Megathread

Same here at the end of October. Unfortunately for me my extreme myopia means I’m not a candidate for the new Extended focus IOLs and the Multifocal IOLs that are available to me all have a history of halo effects. The halo effect is one of my biggest issues with my cataracts, so I really don’t want them after I get the surgery. Since I’ve had to wear glasses since I was 5 years old, having to wear glasses with a standard Monofocal IOL is no biggie for me. My distance vision will be fine but I’ll need reading glasses for close up work and probable a shooting correction. Again, that’s because the Monofocals have a depth of field (range of focus) from about 1 meter to infinity and 1 meter is just a bit too far for the front iron sight of a handgun or rifle. So for anything closer than 1 meter you need corrective glasses. The Extended focus and Multifocal IOLs can get you clear vision from near (around 35 cm, a bit over 1 foot) to far, so if your only worrying about your front sight when shooting irons, you’re good to go.

I don’t think I'm "quite a bit younger” (actually I’m probably quite a bit older) than most folks on the forum, but I was kind of addressing the under 60’s crowd. I will agree that your overall vision acuity does degrade over time. Especial, as is my case, you have cataracts. But the whole depth of field discussion is true for any optical system.

I will say that modern optics will let you shoot way past your prime vision days. The ability to mount red dots on my handguns (even some of my revolvers) has been a real God send.
Agreed regarding optics. CMP changed the rule to allow optics for Modern Military class, which pretty much required an optic if you wanted to remain competitive. The weight limit made it very difficult, but it could be done. That leveled the field for older shooters. After a year or two, CMP rules banned optics- which was a head-scratcher.

I agree. However, I can never understand why some gun dealers, and those who sell other products as well, have a ridiculously high asking prices and don't waver. Either they're jerks, delusional, or there's something I'm missing. Example: I see gun dealers on gun broker asking $4,000 for a Garand that's hardly exceptional (except, of course, for the fact that it's a Garand!). And it never sells. So, I'm wondering if they get a tax write off for holding inventory, and all the while they're using the gun as their own. ???

-confused in Lexington
I have no idea
The high prices are more likely targeting the non informed consumer.
From one FFL to me when I asked how long you going to let this gun sit on the rack. All are/where over priced so much so I would not even make a offer.

“They dont eat or have legs” his rack of used guns was filled with the same shit for many years. I think Gun broker changed things for him and now alot of that old shit is on line.

My guess is FFL need to make up on lack of volume sales and get as much per sale ? Plus as long as they start high and a repeat lurker keeps looking and finally makes a offer above what FFL needs the dealer looks like a hero and the customer is happy

i can tell you one thing if I mark up cost to me part of $1000
To $1700. Some would call me a thief.

so what in general is a good honest mark up these days for anything. ???

Last edited:
I have no idea
The high prices are more likely targeting the non informed consumer.
From one FFL to me when I asked how long you going to let this gun sit on the rack. All are/where over priced so much so I would not even make a offer.

“They dont eat or have legs” his rack of used guns was filled with the same shit for many years. I think Gun broker changed things for him and now alot of that old shit is on line.

My guess is FFL need to make up on lack of volume sales and get as much per sale ? Plus as long as they start high and a repeat lurker keeps looking and finally makes a offer above what FFL needs the dealer looks like a hero and the customer is happy

i can tell you one thing if I mark up cost to me part of $1000
To $1700. Some would call me a thief.

so what in general is a good honest mark up these days for anything. ???
True, who knows. Personally, if I paid 1,300 for an M1, or anything, I would charge what it was worth, w/o any need to make a profit. Ideally I would get my money back. But if I was in business, I would go for the 1,750. As an individual I don't have to pay overhead, advertising, employees, etc.

Anyways, back to Garands. How many of you guys keep an inventory, however large or small, of Garand parts just in case. I know they are beasts, but parts fail eventually. What parts would you recommend keeping as back-up?

Anyways, back to Garands. How many of you guys keep an inventory, however large or small, of Garand parts just in case. I know they are beasts, but parts fail eventually. What parts would you recommend keeping as back-up?
I have bought a few service grades in the past just for the parts,
A few spring kits, bolt rebuild kits and accumulated other small parts,
Price out everything but a barrel and receiver its more than a complete service grade.

That said I might order another SG......

Firing pin, op rod spring, clip latch spring, rear sight cover spring, extractor and spring and plunger. If you install an Orion7 op rod spring you'll probably not need a spare. If you plan to do some DIY trigger tuning, have a spare hammer. Trigger spring and pin a good idea too.

I have a question. I bet it's not hard to sort out.

Since I got my M1 it's had trouble with premature ejection. Tried stretching the clip latch spring per some instructions I'd found here. Better, but still not perfect.

I just replaced the whole spring kit. All the new ones are longer and stronger than the originals, no surprise. Feels promising.

Brought it to the club and got myself on paper. Only had time for a couple clips.
Still occasionally ejecting early.

If it matters, this has all been ammo from a can of HXP I bought from the CMP around the time I got the rifle. I have some S&B, just haven't tried it yet.

I think I read somewhere that not all clips are created equal. Is there a feature I should be inspecting on them? If a clip is inconsistent, is it junk, or can they be repaired?

Should I inspect the clip latch?

(Still planning to come to the event Sunday, in case inspecting in person is the best/easiest option)

Since I got my M1 it's had trouble with premature ejection. Tried stretching the clip latch spring per some instructions I'd found here. Better, but still not perfect.

I just replaced the whole spring kit. All the new ones are longer and stronger than the originals, no surprise. Feels promising.

Brought it to the club and got myself on paper. Only had time for a couple clips.

If it matters, this has all been ammo from a can of HXP I bought from the CMP around the time I got the rifle. I have some S&B, just haven't tried it yet.

I think I read somewhere that not all clips are created equal. Is there a feature I should be inspecting on them? If a clip is inconsistent, is it junk, or can they be repaired?

(Still planning to come to the event Sunday, in case inspecting in person is the best/easiest option)
Clips can suck, wear and flat out not agree with some rifles and then there are post war production and manufacture variances.
Do you have new wood stock?

a new clip latch is never a bad Idea along with the spring.

Clips can suck, wear and flat out not agree with some rifles and then there are post war production and manufacture variances.
Do you have new wood stock?

a new clip latch is never a bad Idea along with the spring.
Yeah, it's a new stock.

I'll bring a paint pen and (try to remember to) mark any clips that act up. Maybe a new latch is in the future, too

For those new to the M1 Garand, this old Army film (in two parts on YouTube) is a fun way to learn the details of how it works.

Understanding how it works can help you understand the M1 Garand trouble shooting site:

The troubleshooting site list the possible causes for early clip ejection (in order of likelihood) as:

Worn cartridge clip detents.Replace the cartridge clip.
Weak clip latch spring.Replace the clip latch spring.
Worn clip latch.Replace the clip latch.
Bent follower rod or worn follower rod forks.Replace the follower rod.
Worn follower arm.Replace the follower arm.
Worn or deformed operating rod catch or bullet guide.Replace the faulty part.
Follower rod rubs on operating rod catch.Replace the deformed part — follower rod, clip latch, or operating rod catch.

If you have the time and a good micrometer and calipers, you can do what I do when I get a new Garand and that’s to go through Garand Gear’s inspection routine:

Check the op-rod spring too - I had the same premature trouble develop in my "Old Reliable" - changed clip latch & spring & pin, bullet guide, still had the problem - put in a new Op-rod Spring & it works better than it ever did! clips load way easier than ever before! Fulton Armory had lots of good stuff & HD clip latch spring Fulton Armory

Check the op-rod spring too - I had the same premature trouble develop in my "Old Reliable" - changed clip latch & spring & pin, bullet guide, still had the problem - put in a new Op-rod Spring & it works better than it ever did! clips load way easier than ever before! Fulton Armory had lots of good stuff & HD clip latch spring Fulton Armory
I did the full spring kit from Fulton, including op rod spring.

Yeah, it's a new stock.

I'll bring a paint pen and (try to remember to) mark any clips that act up. Maybe a new latch is in the future, too
Remove the action and look at the clip latch inlet on the stock if its hitting , usually a slightly dark smooth spot hog out a little wood .
If you find a bad clip tou can use those to make SLEDs

it does not take a lot to help tour M1 shoot a bit better.
Im a firm believer in a all new springs out the gate.
make sure gas cylinder splines are snug, lower band and lower band pin are nice and tight.
I good trigger goes a long way to help. Even if its on the heavy side if its smooth it will be better.
The trigger just takes a little time cleaning up , checking for any work or binding pins and a touch of a fine stone on the hooks to bring the weight down a bit. All mine are right around 5lbs as the lower likit for matches is 4.5lbs
Theres plenty of info on doing all of this on cmp forums in the how to section and look for files of interest. Loaded with info

Last edited:
For those new to the M1 Garand, this old Army film (in two parts on YouTube) is a fun way to learn the details of how it works.

Understanding how it works can help you understand the M1 Garand trouble shooting site:

The troubleshooting site list the possible causes for early clip ejection (in order of likelihood) as:

Worn cartridge clip detents.Replace the cartridge clip.
Weak clip latch spring.Replace the clip latch spring.
Worn clip latch.Replace the clip latch.
Bent follower rod or worn follower rod forks.Replace the follower rod.
Worn follower arm.Replace the follower arm.
Worn or deformed operating rod catch or bullet guide.Replace the faulty part.
Follower rod rubs on operating rod catch.Replace the deformed part — follower rod, clip latch, or operating rod catch.

If you have the time and a good micrometer and calipers, you can do what I do when I get a new Garand and that’s to go through Garand Gear’s inspection routine:

Follow the trouble shooting charts they work well , good thing is there are still parts available at some what reasonable prices

I did the full spring kit from Fulton, including op rod spring.
As Mac stated, on many of the new stocks the pocket for the clip latch does not have adequate clearance.

Sometimes the clip latch can be worn but best to try everything else first. Clip latches are getting harder to find and pricey.

You can borrow clips on Sunday if they are the problem. If your M1 still needs sorting out, borrow a club rifle- they are tack drivers.

FYI, shooters who want to INCREASE THEIR SCORES INSTANTLY, should read the first four chapters of the book, "Sight Alignment, Trigger Control and the Big Lie". You will learn the proper techniques in breathing, natural point of aim, sight alignment, sight picture, focus and trigger control exercises.

By Jim Owens at www.jarheadtop.com

Link = Sight Alignment FREE Chapters | Jarheadtop.com

That book and ‘dedicated’ dry-firing practice really improved my own offhand shooting. FWIW the top high power shooter at the Reading Club performs dry-firing religiously, in full clothing/setup, numerous sessions per week. Watching him shoot shows it … like a machine!

FYI, shooters who want to INCREASE THEIR SCORES INSTANTLY, should read the first four chapters of the book, "Sight Alignment, Trigger Control and the Big Lie". You will learn the proper techniques in breathing, natural point of aim, sight alignment, sight picture, focus and trigger control exercises.

By Jim Owens at www.jarheadtop.com

Link = Sight Alignment FREE Chapters | Jarheadtop.com

That book and ‘dedicated’ dry-firing practice really improved my own offhand shooting. FWIW the top high power shooter at the Reading Club performs dry-firing religiously, in full clothing/setup, numerous sessions per week. Watching him shoot shows it … like a machine!
Thanks, Just added to my Christmas list!

All of this for only 4 easy payments of $19.95 or your money back, guaranteed.

Cmp
Prices going up. FG now $700
will usually bump prices as inventory thins
Although there has not been a bump in prices in some time.
SGs where just over $400 when I started buying them from cmp. Then there where 2 substantial price bumps not long after. Thry have been pretty steady in price for several years now.

Have any of you new M1 owners shot them yet, any cmp events?
On checking receipts, I'm not sure 7 years counts as "new," but definitely low experience. (Probably about 100 or so rounds through it.)

Came to the event this weekend, planning to try it out. Franco informed me "itsapieceashit" so I used a loaner and sent mine home with him. Waiting for the scores to go up, but I think I scored a 162. Probably won't be at November, but definitely will be back.

On checking receipts, I'm not sure 7 years counts as "new," but definitely low experience. (Probably about 100 or so rounds through it.)

Came to the event this weekend, planning to try it out. Franco informed me "itsapieceashit" so I used a loaner and sent mine home with him. Waiting for the scores to go up, but I think I scored a 162. Probably won't be at November, but definitely will be back.
Its in good hands…

Back
Top Bottom