• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

Finally got DBU email today…mailed first week of May, the email said received on 5/14, hopefully I still get my service grades
You and I are very close in the SG queue. I got my DBU on 9/22 and my CC just got charged this afternoon. No ship date yet. If your timeframes are in-line with mine, you are about 2 weeks away. Hang in there.

On checking receipts, I'm not sure 7 years counts as "new," but definitely low experience. (Probably about 100 or so rounds through it.)

Came to the event this weekend, planning to try it out. Franco informed me "itsapieceashit" so I used a loaner and sent mine home with him. Waiting for the scores to go up, but I think I scored a 162. Probably won't be at November, but definitely will be back.

May take a couple weeks for those scores to post. You are off to a solid start and just need more time in the saddle to get the sling position down, front sight focus, trigger control, etc. After doing this a few years now, I still have to watch out for flinching now and then. Always something to work on- especially offhand shooting. That's a perishable skill. You can practice on your own time at your club once you get the new and improved itzapizzachit back from the Garand whisperer.

You and I are very close in the SG queue. I got my DBU on 9/22 and my CC just got charged this afternoon. No ship date yet. If your timeframes are in-line with mine, you are about 2 weeks away. Hang in there.
Good to know, my son (14yo) might be getting his Christmas present early, he has an obsession with history, specifically the WWII era and has been asking me to get a Garand for about 6 months now, little does he know he has one coming 😂

Good to know, my son (14yo) might be getting his Christmas present early, he has an obsession with history, specifically the WWII era and has been asking me to get a Garand for about 6 months now, little does he know he has one coming 😂
Thats awesome!

May take a couple weeks for those scores to post. You are off to a solid start and just need more time in the saddle to get the sling position down, front sight focus, trigger control, etc. After doing this a few years now, I still have to watch out for flinching now and then. Always something to work on- especially offhand shooting. That's a perishable skill. You can practice on your own time at your club once you get the new and improved itzapizzachit back from the Garand whisperer.
The best part about being at the early part of the curve is that those scores only matter for comparing to myself, so that's no rush.

Until I have time to put into the M1, I just need to drag out the 10/22 and such. Maybe I'll try to use it for squirrel this season...

The best part about being at the early part of the curve is that those scores only matter for comparing to myself, so that's no rush.

Until I have time to put into the M1, I just need to drag out the 10/22 and such. Maybe I'll try to use it for squirrel this season...
Its a game against yourself for sure.
Give yourself some time andcpractice
Dryfire exercise at home helps, Only practice I get is with a pellet rifle.
Off hand is going to be one of your best increases in scores if you get better.
For me a good off hand day is creeping into the 80s.
Another tip that helps me practice is I do not adjust my sights . I shoot for groups. So as long as the shots are on paper. Now of course I will adjust my sights when shooting for score. Eventually you will find a zero and wont have to mess with sights to much except for lighting and wind

Its a game against yourself for sure.
Give yourself some time andcpractice
Dryfire exercise at home helps, Only practice I get is with a pellet rifle.
Off hand is going to be one of your best increases in scores if you get better.
For me a good off hand day is creeping into the 80s.
100%
I think my off hand was in the 50s. (IIRC, my rapid was something like 37, because I got flustered by some mechanical issues.)

100%
I think my off hand was in the 50s. (IIRC, my rapid was something like 37, because I got flustered by some mechanical issues.)
Some dummy rounds loaded into a clip can be used to get accustomed to the reloads for rapids. With just a little more familiarity you can bring those scores up to where you'll be happy.

+1 for mostly competing against yourself. Getting 2nd vs. Franco in Garand was OK, but I was most happy about posting a halfway decent score with the Finn Mosin. That was fun even though my clips did not work and I had to load the 2nd five rapid shots manually. That is by far my favorite one all year, including barely missing silver at the Nationals.

I used to post some really crappy scores in offhand- it just takes practice.

On checking receipts, I'm not sure 7 years counts as "new," but definitely low experience. (Probably about 100 or so rounds through it.)

Came to the event this weekend, planning to try it out. Franco informed me "itsapieceashit" so I used a loaner and sent mine home with him. Waiting for the scores to go up, but I think I scored a 162. Probably won't be at November, but definitely will be back.

welcome to the pizzachit club.. I got the same reaction.. Haven't been back to shoot CMP as time is just short.. It's a 5-6 hr day for me there. Same reason I don't play golf anymore.. it was a ton of fun and all the guys were great..

welcome to the pizzachit club.. I got the same reaction.. Haven't been back to shoot CMP as time is just short.. It's a 5-6 hr day for me there. Same reason I don't play golf anymore.. it was a ton of fun and all the guys were great..
LOL you also have to keep in mind how much the Spaghetti King hates the CMP lately. Condition of what they ship does frequently pour gas on that fire.

I'm curious how my IHC Service Grade will turn out, as well as the whatever they ship Field Grade. Took them 5 months just to acknowledge the IHC order.

Apparently, it's a pretty big club. My son went to OCSA for a M1 Clinic a couple years back. He was using what we thought was a Service Grade in rather sound condition. Of course, it was a 'pizzachit' and my son felt like he was being scolded. He was just a kid (16ish). That guy can be pretty crusty.

Naturally I also placed an order a month or so ago for a couple field grades, need to make sure I have spare parts, two is one and one is none, need to make sure I have enough spare parts

Ha! I also ordered a FG late this summer; received by CMP 9/1. We'll see what the timeline is on these.

Apparently, it's a pretty big club. My son went to OCSA for a M1 Clinic a couple years back. He was using what we thought was a Service Grade in rather sound condition. Of course, it was a 'pizzachit' and my son felt like he was being scolded. He was just a kid (16ish). That guy can be pretty crusty.

Ha! I also ordered a FG late this summer; received by CMP 9/1. We'll see what the timeline is on these.

My dad is exactly like him.. 80yr old Italian guy off the boat, where the "way we did it in the old country" is the "only way" 😁

Eh , its just how some old timers are. My dad would come off the same way on many. Things. Did not have the “explain it nice” part . Just blunt and to the point which could come off as scholding or making you feel stupid. Not the intention

I thought I’d post this here for everyone’s information, as someone else might experience this issue. I have a 1954 IHC Service Grade from CMP I received in June of this year. I have put about 400 rounds through it since then.

I have turned my Garand into my SD option, and I find it to be an amazing rifle with an Aimpoint Micro T2 attached to the Fulton Armory rail. It is a great shooter and accurate. Note in the picture below that the Micro T2 is very far forward on the rail. That is because the brass ejects forward (ricocheting off the op rod) at 12 o’clock on my gun (note: new FA springs), and when the Micro T2 was sitting closer to the action, the brass was actually hitting it, and hitting it hard enough to crack the lens cap (since replaced)! I moved the Micro T2 forward until brass was no longer hitting it. I was lucky in that my optic has an easily-replaceable rear cap. If you have an expensive scope, please beware if you plan to mount it with the eyepiece close to the action, as the brass can come forward hard enough to break things (if your particular rifle ejects brass at 12 o’clock like mine does).

MC8bgKn.jpg

XGlkSRA.jpg

Here is a public service announcement for people who are using new-production AEC-marked parkerized clips in your M1 Garand. Over the past few months of owning and shooting my M1 Garand with new AEC clips, I have noticed that each time I shot my M1 Garand, the first few clips would function fine, but then every clip afterward would experience a 7th round stoppage. In addition, sometimes the clip would not eject after ejecting the 8th round. The AEC clips are very heavily-parkerized, and this causes the malfunctions.

QgRHjPh.jpg

P1Bwxmp.jpg

To fix this problem, I purchased Springfield Armory (SA) marked USGI en bloc clips on the advice of CMP. I brought 8 of the USGI clips to the range today and fired 64 rounds in fairly rapid fashion in SD drills (I shot 2 clips rapid fire, then waited a minute and repeated the drill). I did not experience any malfunctions with the USGI clips, neither the 7th round stoppage nor the clip failing to eject.

Therefore, I believe the problem was indeed the new-production AEC clips, and it appears to have been fixed by using USGI clips. Here, you can see the difference between the AEC clips and the SA-marked USGI clips. It is clear how heavy the parkerization is on the new AEC-marked clips.

X35hG7l.jpg

rfPgh1x.jpg

I have been told that the over-parkerization of the AEC clips can be mitigated by tumbling or sanding down, and I did consider doing that, but I have since learned that PPU M2 Ball ammunition (which is some of the most widely-available M2 Ball these days) sometimes experiences stoppages with the AEC clips, regardless of whether they were sanded down or not. I have also read speculations that the new clips are inferior in terms of metallurgy, but I’m not sure if that’s true/confirmed. In any case, I chose to replace my AEC clips with USGI, and at least for me, this has solved the problem, although other people report that they are happy with their AEC clips.

Here is a public service announcement for people who are using new-production AEC-marked parkerized clips in your M1 Garand. Over the past few months of owning and shooting my M1 Garand with new AEC clips, I have noticed that each time I shot my M1 Garand, the first few clips would function fine, but then every clip afterward would experience a 7th round stoppage. In addition, sometimes the clip would not eject after ejecting the 8th round. The AEC clips are very heavily-parkerized, and this causes the malfunctions.

QgRHjPh.jpg

P1Bwxmp.jpg

To fix this problem, I purchased Springfield Armory (SA) marked USGI en bloc clips on the advice of CMP. I brought 8 of the USGI clips to the range today and fired 64 rounds in fairly rapid fashion in SD drills (I shot 2 clips rapid fire, then waited a minute and repeated the drill). I did not experience any malfunctions with the USGI clips, neither the 7th round stoppage nor the clip failing to eject.

Therefore, I believe the problem was indeed the new-production AEC clips, and it appears to have been fixed by using USGI clips. Here, you can see the difference between the AEC clips and the SA-marked USGI clips. It is clear how heavy the parkerization is on the new AEC-marked clips.

X35hG7l.jpg

rfPgh1x.jpg

I have been told that the over-parkerization of the AEC clips can be mitigated by tumbling or sanding down, and I did consider doing that, but I have since learned that PPU M2 Ball ammunition (which is some of the most widely-available M2 Ball these days) sometimes experiences stoppages with the AEC clips, regardless of whether they were sanded down or not. I have also read speculations that the new clips are inferior in terms of metallurgy, but I’m not sure if that’s true/confirmed. In any case, I chose to replace my AEC clips with USGI, and at least for me, this has solved the problem, although other people report that they are happy with their AEC clips.

I had to tumble the park off my AEC's too. After that they have functioned 100%. I ordered nickel plated AEC's from a guy on the CMP forum and they have been perfect.

UP FOR KARMA: CMP hard case for an M1 Garand.

Must be Green

Won this in the recent Karma, but it doesn't fit my scoped M1A Precision Loaded... so if you're willing to pick it up at the Waltham Costco (right off 128), be the first to reply.

Still available. Claimer changed mind...

QgRHjPh.jpg

P1Bwxmp.jpg

X35hG7l.jpg

rfPgh1x.jpg

That would look pretty good with one of the DuPage laminate stocks-

G2LTLFK.jpg

Back
Top Bottom