MA Assault Weapons Ban "AWB" FAQ

Forgive me if this has already been answered in this thread, but what is the status of AR-10s in Mass. Presumably since they are not specifically mentioned in the AWB and don't match the copy cat enforcement notice because of parts commonalty with an AR-15, as long as they follow the evil features criteria you should be able to have one? Or is there something I have missed along the way?

Forgive me if this has already been answered in this thread, but what is the status of AR-10s in Mass. Presumably since they are not specifically mentioned in the AWB and don't match the copy cat enforcement notice because of parts commonalty with an AR-15, as long as they follow the evil features criteria you should be able to have one? Or is there something I have missed along the way?

You need to ask dealers about this, trying to interpret the cauldron of bullshit that the AG vomited out about her edict is basically a waste of
time. Being that it's not based on law its difficult to know where the lines are actually drawn. Most dealers are basically doing the "if it looks like an AR or an AK, we're not transferring it unless they're pre 9/94" thing but that's hardly consistent either.

-Mike

Some parts are in fact interchangable, the fire control group all interchanges. You need to buy a fixed mag model if you want new or find a pre-healy used.

Besides the features, if it fails either of the "new tests" it's no good.

However, test 1 is extremely vague:
"Similarity Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if its internal functional components are substantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an Enumerated Weapon. Under this test, a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate, for example, if the operating system and firing mechanism of the weapon are based on or otherwise substantially similar to one of the Enumerated Weapons."

I don't think it's a stretch to say AR-15s and AR-10s have a "substantially similar" configuration and operating system.

Test 2 could also be a failure. The trigger assemblies are interchangeable so that's one "failure" and the test says "two or more" - the "gotcha" is that the notice says, "Such operating components may include, but are not limited to" - given that apart from the trigger group AR-15s and AR-10s also share:
  • Mag catch
  • Bolt stop
  • Pistol grip
  • Buffer Tube
  • Buttstock assembly
  • Selector switch
It's not a stretch to assume it would be viewed as failing. What surprises me is that "charging handle" is listed a failing feature, but not pistol grip or buttstock...anyway.

In the end, the notice says it's basically "up to the dealer's judgement" which is a hilarious way to try to deal with a legislative topic such as this, but I digress.

Just get a pre-ban FAL.

So quick question. The new Century .308
View attachment 318046

So IIRC these would be OK for MA. If I was buying one in NH, could I walk out of the store with it, or would it need to be transferred to a MA dealer?
Any firearm crossing state lines other than being brought in by someone moving into a state to become a permanent resident must go through an FFL. (would it need to be transferred to a MA dealer?) That's my understanding

Any firearm crossing state lines other than being brought in by someone moving into a state to become a permanent resident must go through an FFL. (would it need to be transferred to a MA dealer?) That's my understanding
Not accurate. Any handgun must go through a ffl in the buyers state. A rifle coming from a store(ffl) can be taken home so long as that rifle is lawful in both states. I think a ftf sale of a rifle would have to go through either the buyers state ffl or the sellers state ffl

Not accurate. Any handgun must go through a ffl in the buyers state. A rifle coming from a store(ffl) can be taken home so long as that rifle is lawful in both states. I think a ftf sale of a rifle would have to go through either the buyers state ffl or the sellers state ffl

You are correct. Handguns and "Others" must go through an FFL in the recipient's state. Rifles and shotguns can be transferred to the recipient by an FFL in any state as long as it is legal for the recipient to possess in their state of residence.

You are correct. Handguns and "Others" must go through an FFL in the recipient's state. Rifles and shotguns can be transferred to the recipient by an FFL in any state as long as it is legal for the recipient to possess in their state of residence.
I stand corrected then

I'm just clarifying for the FFL in NH.
I was sure about the ability to leave the store with the rifle.
Let me clarify my post.
I need some clarification on the particular rifle. I haven't seen any info if the roller-lock style rifle is ok or got caught up in the Healey nonsense.

And yes, I am also aware that a pre-ban mag is good. Can't have post-ban mag greater than 10 rounds, and any muzzle device needs to be pinned.

Count the features. I see a detachable mag, a pistol grip, is the muzzle device threaded or welded on? Is it a flash hider or muzzle brake?

I'm just clarifying for the FFL in NH.
I was sure about the ability to leave the store with the rifle.
Let me clarify my post.
I need some clarification on the particular rifle. I haven't seen any info if the roller-lock style rifle is ok or got caught up in the Healey nonsense.

And yes, I am also aware that a pre-ban mag is good. Can't have post-ban mag greater than 10 rounds, and any muzzle device needs to be pinned.

G3/HK91 is not one of the named weapons in the AWB so it's not caught up in the Healy "enforcement notice" nonsense.

Assault weapons are also defined as:
  1. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any two of the following:
    • A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    • A folding or telescoping stock.
    • A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    • A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
    • A bayonet lug
you have two matches here already. You can't have a 3rd.

Assault weapons are also defined as:
  1. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any two of the following:
    • A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    • A folding or telescoping stock.
    • A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    • A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
    • A bayonet lug
you have two matches here already. You can't have a 3rd.

And as long as the muzzle brake is pinned (which he already said he knows he needs to do in post 525), he won't. It is a brake.

As far as the feature count goes, there's also a bayonet lug on the pictured CETME. The good news is it's removable, as the issue cleaning kit is behind it inside the top tube.

CETME Bayonet Lug and Cleaning Kit

5_thumb%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Last edited:
my feel good $ .02 worth. You can be sitting around the deer camp fire, with good friends, food and drink while gazing at a certain rifle as you have for many seasons. Not until you are almost knocked out of your chair do you realize the owner of the rifle is selling it to you for the next round of drinks and a handshake. (!) The next day when, I woke up and remembered it was true, the rifle came home with me and I did a blue card back in MA., way back when. I don't think I'll ever sell it.

THIS is how its supposed to be! :mad: And that is too much.

Last edited:
Hey guys, quick advice question.

I recently got my ltc, but I left my AR in maine when I moved here a year and a half ago. If I were to put a 10 rd fixed mag lower on it, it would be clear from the "evil" features, but what about registration? If I did an fa-10 would that be incriminating me in any way? (ignoring Healey BS) or is it best for me to just leave it back in maine?

Thanks for the help

Make sure it is in compliance with MA AWB and fa-10 it. Pin or change out the stock and pin/ weld a brake on.

Hey guys, quick advice question.

I recently got my ltc, but I left my AR in maine when I moved here a year and a half ago. If I were to put a 10 rd fixed mag lower on it, it would be clear from the "evil" features, but what about registration? If I did an fa-10 would that be incriminating me in any way? (ignoring Healey BS) or is it best for me to just leave it back in maine?

Thanks for the help
The only things you have to worry about:
- threaded barrel/flash hider
- telescoping stock
- bayonet mount

If you don’t have those, just make sure your magazines are pre ’94 or 10 round.

i have PTR91 Mass Firearms is my transfer and smith work no issues. i bought mine with a detachable as well brake so i could have them pin and weld a comp.

So quick question. The new Century .308
View attachment 318046

So IIRC these would be OK for MA. If I was buying one in NH, could I walk out of the store with it, or would it need to be transferred to a MA dealer?

so since Healey isn’t law you could go to NH and legally buy all the lowers you want

Back
Top Bottom